exp switch?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by nolan081100, Dec 10, 2014.

1. nolan081100 Journeyman

Hello, i recently made a new toon, and yes i outfitted him with a few pieces of gear that he wouldnt normally be able to aquire till higher levels, but i noticed something while i was out there hacking and slashing, an hour into it, i was level 18, 3 hours later i was 45, by the end of day two i was 55 with around 200 aa. now i remeber playing back in the day 2003 area getting 1 or 2 levels in one day was a really good day. i miss this, honestly i do, how am i to go out there and explore lower level content that made EQ what it is today if i go from 1 - 70 in just a couple zones? why would i even do any lower level quests when the rewards will be replaced in 1/10th the time it took to do the quest? us nistalga lovers need a switch, or a rune or something we can turn exp off, or transfer it into a rune we can use on other toons/sell it honestly sickened me so badly i have not played in 3 weeks++ i have nothing left to do that i have any intrest in on my high level toon "105.18500" "all prog done i care to do" "all Ach's done i care to do" and at the rate my new toon was going he would be over 85 in a few more days. thank you to the Dev"s" that took the time to read this and i hope you will consider implamenting something in game for this issue "ie a tradable SC Rune to put exp into"

Thank you.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Try a progression server. I'm pretty sure they intentionally have their xp limited.
  3. Elskidor Augur

Well, one of these days they'll have a classic server. ..hopefully.
    I randomly create alts to just play through the lower half of the game, and go to places I enjoy. I usually just park them after I've out leveled the zones I wanted to play in, and go back to my main. There are also progression guilds that stop leveling every 5 levels or so and put up invisible stop signs so they can beat a certain expansion era.

With 105 levels, the first 70 are going to feel fast paced and odd, but eventually things abruptly slow down.
  4. nolan081100 Journeyman

Aye that is one very good option, however, for those of us that are not real interested in starting 100% over on a new server, its not a very good option. Thank you though.
  5. nolan081100 Journeyman

Elskidor,

yes, my main "and two boxed toons" are level 105 with AA counts ranging from 10k to 18k so i do understand that higher levels = slower xp rate. but id like to have this option in the lower levels as well, like i stated earler i was level 55 with 200 AAs in normal game play in 2 days playing "10 hours? total"
  6. Crystilla Augur

Nolan, you just said in 2 days you went from level 1 to level 55 and 200 AA's. Therefore, why wouldn't you be ok starting on a new server? (Just asking because it's not as if you've wasted time on the other character). The progression servers are intentionally what you're looking for here; they were designed for people who want it like it used to be. The rest of the servers were designed to speed up leveling so people can play with friends.

Editted to add - if you used a mercenary (and because you geared above your content level), both of those would greatly impact your leveling speed. If you went to hot zones or dungeons, etc.
    Pwnography likes this.
  7. Drathus Augur

Even the progression servers had problems with exp gain. I had friends that would be unable to log in for a day and we would be 5 levels ahead of them when they logged in again. You would go to a dungeon and by the time you had camped a few items, you had already out leveled the dungeon. This in itself wasn't really a problem, the problem was the fact that you just out leveled every other dungeon in the game of the same level range.

If they ever create a new progression server, they really need to figure out how to slow down the exp. The original game allowed you to slowly progress through content based on your level.

Now, to be clear, I'm not talking about hell levels and exping for 5 days just to get one level, like the original game. Progression servers are about experiencing all the old content at an appropriate level. At least slow down the exp enough so you don't out level all the content after experiencing just a small part of it.

For example, you could be level 25 and trying to decide if you want to go to Unrest, Castle Mistmoore, The Warrens, Najena, High Hold Keep, Upper Guk, Befallen, or any number of outside zones. The problem is that you can only pick one, because in a few hours you will have out leveled all the content.

If they ever create a expansion capped server - like a Planes of Power server - exp gain rate will be an important factor in its success.
  8. nolan081100 Journeyman

Drathus has hit the nail right on the head for me on this matter, thank you. i have no intrest in moving to a new server, i want to be on the one im currently on, but be able to hit 5 - 6 different zones of the same level area without "oh i killed 3 mobs in this zone, ill have to move to the next so they are still dark blue cons there" issue. i want to spend some time in that zone, maybe all day with some friends getting this or that, doing quests etc and move on to a zone of the same level area and repeat it.

in 2003 i was a cleric, on a normal day i spent around 1 - 3 mins in LFG cause clerics were in high demand, i cant honestly remember exactly how much time i had invested but i bet it was a year later and he was level 68 with around 250 AAs and i did have other alts i played, who didnt back then... now im not asking for that much of a time sink, but i bet i could get 68.250 now a day in a week easy...

its like taking a hard game, you play it for a few weeks dieing here and there, no where near the end of the game, but, in your heart your thinking, MAN! i cant wait to hit that next level, or wow i cant wait till i have 3 more plat so i can buy such and such item. The your buddy says oh hey man, that game your playing if you enter in this code: XXXXXX you become an unstoppable god with all end game gear so you think OMFG! YES!!!! and for about 2 hours its sooooo awesome!!!! then you have nothing left to work for and you toss it aside for the next thing becouse its lost its luster. that is what everquest is nowa days, there is no longer any thrill in gaining that 1 level so you can wear that 1 piece of gear to make you sooo much better, your in constant exp god mode from level 1 with defiant gear raining down from the loot gods like a thunderstorm, and so you toss it aside and play something else.

Sony, bring back the option for the challenge and excitment, there has got to be a way to allow us to slow down exp...
  9. Stewgottz Augur

You already can slow down your xp gain, just level to 101 ;)

On a serious note, one option you can use to slow down your progress is to turn off auto grant AA's. Then you could slide your exp bar to 100% AA and spend a few days, maybe even a week or so grinding level appropriate zones or AA's, moving between them as you please.

As you have a few max lvl chars I assume you realize that the entire TDS expansion was designed around slowing people from leveling. Not going to go into the reasons behind it as its been discussed to death. EQ in its current form, from hot zones to heroic chars to auto grant AA's, is designed to propel you to the latest expansion as quick as possible.
  10. Elskidor Augur

The low level game isn't what it use to be, and I can relate to that frustration. The closest it can get to is on a progression server, but even then the % won't be nearly as slow as it once was. I think it took me a wee over a month to cap out when Fippy launched and that was a pretty decent amount of time spent in various zones.
    About a month ago I really wanted to run ToFS. It was eating at me hardcore, so a ran a monk to level 27 or so and entered. Within a couple hours I was still hunting in the fourth floor trying to get the key and I those red mobs were now green as I was approaching level 50. I then felt silly and left.
  11. Mysl Augur

If you want to slow down xp gain, very easy. Every time you die, do not take a rez. If the xp still too high for you, ask your friendly necro to help you out. Do not use a merc. :)
  12. Brohg Augur

Exp from the same activities you engaged with 42 years ago has not changed. If you want to do the old things, do those old things. You will not level any faster doing them now than you did "in the day".
  13. Brohg Augur

…nothing like that. It's mainly ignorance that made the past how it was, and a different player culture [that accommodated ignorance by not providing much of a contrasting context]. Prog server characters, if they have the same Live players, can choose to engage just as freely with either nonsense doodling around or with high gain activities. Make a character, recruit a mercenary, go Paludal-Guk-Hole-(swap to healer merc)-DSH-MechGuardian - bingo bango, Live or Prog, level 85 with a raft of AA. On prog servers there's no autogrant of AA, but it's not like that's forced on Live characters either. If someone wants to choose a slow road or fast road it's not impacted by choice of server.

Except for the bonuses no one's mentioned yet on FV & Test. Duder's not playing on FV while complaining about fast exp, right?
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Don't worry, exp will slow down soon enough. It will probably feel "normal" in the 60s-70s. In your 80s and higher, every percent will feel like a chore.

They definitely changed something for lower levels. Killing a single mob in Lower Guk can be more than 10% exp per kill in the 30's. It was nothing like that back in the day.
  15. silku Augur

If you want to kill mobs in that zone.. kill mobs in that zone. You don't want to level fast? Keep killing in a zone you want to explore while it's grey. It'll slow you down just like you want. No one is forcing you to always move to keep the 'blue' exp rolling.
  16. Brohg Augur

Soloing in Lower Guk in the level 30s? You do that a lot back in the day, or are you abusing the power of Defiant gear & a mercenary to do that now?