Evolving gear, need more of it

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tazzytu22, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Tazzytu22 Journeyman

I really like the idea of evolving gear, gear that you have to put through experience.
    All the evolving items turn obsolete due to poor stats or level.

Can EQ implement Evolving items that would be fun to use character level 1-105 with the item having numerous levels of evolve..

Everyone liked 20 stage aug from valley of lun from veil of alaris and a lot of folks still use it..
    That is what I am talking about, but more MOAR

Thanks
  2. Lheo Augur

one item from level 1 to 105 sounds BOOOOAARINGGG :)
  3. Phrovo1 Augur

tbh, if they ever do this it should be with class specific epics or augs.
  4. fransisco Augur

that is against the basic premise of the game. You always replace gear and get better.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

There have been items like Charm of lore.That you got at a low level, and kept evolving until max level.

It didn't last multiple expansions though.
  6. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

They did make a couple of raid items that evolved. RoF had the helm and CoTF had the shoulders, both of them were good for the next expansion. Overall they were nice, but lvling items isn't something I would want to do all the time.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Those 2 items were unique raid chase-items iirc, and they were different compared to all other evolving item in the way that they only gave positive stats when maxed out(negative stats otherwise).

It seems like the only evolving items we get in modern expansions are progression charms, which also have poor stats until maxed. There haven't been any evolving items for awhile that was useful un-maxed.

Btw one of the reasons many are still using the tear, is because the ammo slot is useless otherwise for many classes(I previously used it as a mount slot, but now we have key-rings), and defense-mod is better than nothing...;) Im not sure the tear was "loved", it was just better than 2% fishing...:p I don't see many players who bothered to max the tear(except tanks).
  8. EnchFWO Augur

I'd have to disagree... I see a ton of people who have (or are) continued to work on this. For anyone not on the tradeskill or old school hunter train, it's a pretty popular choice on how to waste hours of your life. I honestly think the addition of all this random time consuming content was to hold people over as the expansion dies off until the next one. Compared to previous years' summers, this one seems much more active but maybe my experience is just an isolated case. IDK. :confused: Anyway that was kindof a sidetrack from the OP...

Evolving items were a fun concept aside from the fact people cheez'd the hell out of leveling them. I'm sure it would just happen again because players are resourceful like that (till it gets nerfed). I wouldn't mind seeing it again outside of progression charms though. It seems they moved more towards an "evolving" item in the sense of 'get a bunch of items and then get a better item' a la TBM face from augs or EOK invested items.

I think if more evolving items were introduced it should benefit the group oriented people the most if they made the stats a bit better than standard gear available. Kindof give everyone the chance at one rare-ish stat item per expansion. Don't think that would be overpowered or piss off raiders (not that their opinion should matter for the group game).
  9. Rorce Augur

I'm kind of against gear that evolves through gaining normal experience.

I did like the tear, however. Only because it could be leveled up from the clickies, which were obtainable a few different ways.

I think this type of system should stay for special items tho. I certainly wouldn't want to see the next set of raid gear as evolving - each and every piece o_O
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I really liked the Tear. I'd love to see something like that again.
  11. Cactuszach Elder

Leveling evolving gear is maybe the most tedious thing in all of Everquest.
  12. Rhodz Augur

I think every MMO ever written has taken a half-hearted swipe at evolving gear.
    Anarchy Online perhaps did it most but then threw it to the dogs with the first or second xpak.
    Great feature really for the more casual player but then it adversely effects the constant need to upgrade and the gerbil wheel.
    People playing barbie dress up with their chars for ego boosts never like it, people that just want to play the game love it.
  13. Reynen Journeyman

If you love items that will stay forever in the same slot, you should make a necro, they have their epics for 10+ years now. Okay it doesn't evolve!
  14. Aurastrider Augur

evolving items are fun for current content to give people something to do while waiting for the next expansion but they also add another element of intimidation for the new and returning player who needs to add those items to their list of things to do when they are already so far behind. It would be nice if they increased the evolution rate of older items so it does not seem so overwhelming for someone who needs to level, work on AA's, do important progression, get their epic, do trade skills for artisan and shawl quest and so forth. While it is current make it a challenge so people don't get bored with the content but once it is a couple of years old making things not so grueling would be nice. It might help to keep those who are behind and feel like they will never catch up in the game.
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

I guess its like you always hear on here, if you don't like it , don't do it. I could go either way on these. There are tons of people going nuts over that Hunter crap, which does basically nothing for you, NOTHING. Trade skills are some peoples forte, some cannot stand them. Guess that is why EQ has held me for 15 years. Something for everybody.
  16. Repthor Augur

I dont mind items that evole however the part where you dont get any stats untill it finnished they can keep that to themselfs.