Everquest rumors

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nandary Griefs, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nandary Griefs Lorekeeper

Anyone have a clue as to what DBG might be asking for Everquest? Do you think they might sell the TLP servers separately?

Maybe we can get Bezos to buy it and we can run it.
  2. Khat_Nip Meow

/Stopped reading right there.
    Nolrog likes this.
  3. Numiko Augur

I'll offer a couple of krono's for daybreak!
  4. Vdidar Augur

I haven't seen a single rumor lol
  5. Kunon Augur

Emergency patch to nerf Mage pets and make mod rods single cast again because reasons.
    Vdidar likes this.
  6. bazinga Elder

I hear Hillary is going to buy it now that she doesnt have any plans for the next 4 years
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. Frael Elder

Is this a rumor you've heard, or a rumor you're starting?
  8. Minato Augur

only rumor i heard recently was that daybreak bought LOTRO and something else and im too lazy to fact check cause i dont play those games lol
  9. Brudal Augur

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

Internet rumors aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
  11. Nolrog Augur

Looks like one he's trying to start.
  12. Vdidar Augur

That's no rumor. It's been in the works for a long time.
  13. YellowBelly Augur

Asheron's Call and Asheron’s Call 2 are shutting down January 1st. Not a good time to be a MMO player.
  14. Kravitz Augur

It is a rumor that has been floating around for the last 2 months, since Russel Shanks was kicked out the door. Just because the majority of you read only these forums to get your news doesn't mean that other forums are not active on what could be happening behind the scenes at Daybreak headquarters.

Its still a rumor, but one that has been floating around due to the fact that Ji Ham from Columbus Nova has taken over the CEO position. The speculation is based of the question of why would you put a venture capitalist executive in charge of gaming company when he has no experience in his CV on running any type of game, let alone any type of position involved in the game industry.

CN maybe trying to clean house and getting ready to sell of some of the IP's.

Rumor nonetheless.

http://www.mmorpg.com/news/rumor-russell-shanks-out-columbus-nova-exec-in-1000042340

http://www.mmorpg.com/news/rumor-confirmed-russell-shanks-has-moved-on-1000042362

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/05/daybreaks-russell-shanks-replaced-with-columbus-nova-exec/

On the factual side -

Intrepid Studios has been recruiting Daybreak employees, which compromises team members who used to work EQ1, EQ2, EQNext. Majority of the current employees working for Intrepid are ex-Daybreak employees.

Slightly off topic, but I strongly encourage you all to be more active on other forums as Daybreak has a nasty habit of shutting down any thread here they don't like their players reading. No freedom of speech here.
  15. svann Augur

I heard they are going to allow a fan-developed VR app.
  16. mackal Augur

Well, DBG just got a publishing deal for some former Turbine MMOs, so I doubt they're looking to leave the MMO market.
    svann likes this.
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Yeah, that makes me sad. One of the big three original MMORPGs - along with EQ and UO.
  18. svann Augur

DBG acquiring lotro is huge news imo.
  19. Schadenfreude Augur

Has been on life support since 2014.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

Daybreak's core capability is to run older MMOs, benefiting from scale and buildup of common platform and competencies.

Private Equity companies buy companies, shake them up, and sell them again. It would make sense to sell Daybreak again, if the value of the company had increased significantly, or if there was no prospects. (Until then, they would typically be asked to deliver about 12.5% ROIC for the parent company).

Daybreak appears to me to be successful. A few speculative scenarios below, based on above speculations :). Do not take any of this seriously, it is merely pastime.

Daybreak as a company is...

1) Very successful, but all low hanging fruits reaped, and no significant short term growth potential. About to be sold. Good news for everyone, since a buyer is buying a well oiled money machine. New CEO to sell it of.

2) Successful, but the market is highly unconsolidated, and the potential is big for a company the size of Daybreak + parent. Perhaps about to aquire a lot more IPs/MMOs. This could require a typical private equity CEO, that can identify the right IPs, and add them to the fold

3) Successful, the market is highly unconsolidated, a bigger player has the power to do the consolidation. It is about finding the right price. The new CEO is there to sell the company

4) unsuccessful, what seemed like a promising business is a dead end. It is about getting the most out of it, perhaps split up IP, etc.

5) Unrelated. Maybe there is another reason altogether for changing the CEO. Maybe it was time to shake things up, maybe there are personal reasons, maybe there are power struggles. Maybe the old CEO promised to do more, but was not able to fulfill those promises. etc etc ad nauseam.

Only one of these scenarios is potentially bad for players (4). Seeing how well EQ is being run, how good EoK execution has been, and having a gut feeling of player numbers swelling, I do not believe it is (4). And I don't care about the rest. :)
    Nandary Griefs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.