Everquest in PS4

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jackalis, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Jackalis New Member

I have a PS4 and the enjoyment of games there is very good. I like EQ and EQ 2. I have been wondering for a while if it is possible to at least get EQ in PS4. I am suggesting this. I think if Day Break Company would be able to place EQ, even if just the basic EQ and go from there with the added upgrades, that would create a lot of players playing the game, besides the players that play in pc. Can this be considered. PS 4 players need a game like EQ in the system. Or, the basic EQ2, either one.
  2. Riou EQResource

There was probably a chance at EQ Next, before it was canceled :p
  3. Fade New Member

I tried to play console games in the last 6 months because I didn't want to build a new PC. I found that all ps4 and xbox 1 multi player games are toxic to a point they are unplayable. It is filled with children and adults who act like children. The competitiveness that console games attract tend to be rude, greedy, cutthroat punks from all of my experiences. And yes, I tried many games until I left kiddo-console land. EQOA on the PS4 was many years ago and did well because it was not as hard as eq1 be far but it was hard enough that it weeded out children. I am grateful to be back in EQ after all these years but would like to see more older players, stop multi boxing and let others join you. I see tons of posts from guilds needing raiders but when approached by non level 110 players not in amazing gear and they laugh and tell you to join another guild and use them and to return when you of use to them is pretty stupid. If you won't invest in people, why would they invest in you and your guild. So if you wonder why your raid is filled with multibox players, it is because you are choosing it.
    Everdork99 likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Look for EQ games on mobile in the coming year. I seriously doubt Everquest will ever make another appearance on a console outside the PS2.
  5. Everdork99 Lorekeeper

Man Toxic isn't even the word for it. I am have 20 years in the US Navy and another 15 in Construction and I'm AMAZED at the behavior on consoles. I mean I personally have been exposed to some of the most toxic environments I think you can get but they didn't hold a candle to the console's online stuff.

Some broken part of my psyche likes to listen to it and finds it funny but I'm not proud of that poor lost brain matter.
  6. Ceffener Augur

Final Fantasy XIV or Elder Scrolls Online is your best bet. More like EQII than I, FFXIV has a pretty good main story.
    skattabrainz and Cakekizy like this.
  7. Nolrog Augur

I don't think EQ is the type of game that lends itself to a console.
    Cakekizy likes this.
  8. Phiyre Augur

I don't see it happening due to the massive issues they would encounter. First off, they are already running a skeleton crew who are having issues keeping the pc version of EQ above water.
    Another issue is, hot buttons. You can only map so much stuff to a ps4/xbox controller. Where are your 40+ hot buttons going plus your spell bar? It doesn't transition well. Even using/holding l2, r2 to give the other buttons a different purpose would be too cumbersome for any new players coming on board.
    Not to mention the time it would take to revamp the engine to something modern that would actually run on a ps4. I'd rather they invest that time/money into revamping the current everquest/servers etc.
    In it's current state, EQ wouldn't come close to luring enough new/paying people to justify the investment to another platform.
    Skuz and Cakekizy like this.
  9. Nakander Journeyman

Everquest for console, done right, would probably result in a revival for Everquest, but SoEbreak would never be able to accomplish such a feat, so we're stuck with (arguably) the best game ever made stuck in the past and unknown until something changes.

To address some of the above concerns: First, I beg to differ on the toxic environment on console. I solely play on console now, after leaving PC because of the toxic people. I think it would be fair to say that you're going to find jerks everywhere, so saying they're just here or there isn't really even an argument.

Second, many other PC games have been changed over to console just fine. I've been playing Path of Exile for awhile on PS4, which I would have argued was impossible to play without a mouse, and it works great.

Third, there is a resurgence in "difficult", more cut throat games right now like Everquest. People are warming up to grinding, death penalties, and researching strategy once again. Now I hate dark souls, but it is going a long way towards making people like grinding and sudden death - something that reminds me of old EQ.

Lastly, I'm not talking about porting all of EQ over to console. Rather, what is needed is a remake of the original EQ released on console, and then, when it becomes popular, expand upon it (but do it correctly this time).

SoEbreak has always been garbage at marketing their game, showing what it is, reporting the truth (that it pioneered a lot of the standards), and getting people interested in it.That's where we need someone of influence to pick it up, get it going, and raise some money for it.

Finally, in my experience on these forums, the more people say something is impossible, the more likely it is that we'll see it happen.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I think EverQuest is far too complexed of a game to do well with a controller. I think a keyboard and mouse are necessary for everything we do. I have a G602 mouse and a G910 keyboard. The extra buttons on the keyboard (9) and mouse (8) alone are more than everything available on the xbox controller.

Microsoft has massively more resources than DBG yet the xbox doesn't support a keyboard and mouse. When someone can give me a good reason why I can't use Microsoft Word or Microsoft Bing on my Microsoft Xbox, I might consider why getting EverQuest to console is worth the effort.

That's not to say that I wouldn't love to see EverQuest on Xbox. I turned my xbox into a gaming laptop (the word/bing frustration might make more sense now). Anything that makes it's way to Xbox is a win in my book.

I agree.

Compulsory voice chat is the problem with console. I can't shut off the voice chat on my Xbox. I have to wear a headset so the people around me can't hear the inappropriate garbage being shouted from the television. Each time I play, I have to stop to figure out which person is yelling / open mic / heavy breathing so I can mute them. It's quite annoying. The idea that I can't mute all chat except party chat is beyond me (I have found I can create a party with no one in it but me, but some game prohibit party chat). I also wish I could block incoming messages or there were some sort of profanity filter than could just block those sort of messages.

The ease at which people can speak to strangers, with complete anonymity, and the strangers have limited options to avoid the contact is why console is so bad. Thank god none of that trash is in EverQuest.
    Shanarias likes this.
  11. Nakander Journeyman

Just off the top of my head, PS4 or any console controller would work just fine for Everquest using a basic scheme that has already been pioneered by other games. How other games have done it is that each shoulder button (there's 4) would then open a sub menu with 4, 8, or 12 choices that can then be selected by the D pad. So just the shoulders could easily give you 48 buttons - more than enough for all your spells, emotes, abilities, and what not.

Further, the targetting system could be run the same way with one or more of the shoulders designated for targetting, So you would mark 1 - 12 targets that would be designated and selected with the D pad. A healer would mark his party while a tank could mark 12 enemies.

Now communication would be interesting, I agree. Lately I've been playing friday the 13th on PS4 and I'm shocked how friendly and respectful people generally are in a game such as that. That's not to say there aren't jerks mixed in, but what can we do? Stick our heads in the sand? In a game like Everquest, I remember making friends that I then played with regularly. I think it could happen again.

Raids would be an interesting problem, but I look forward to solving it. I would purpose a few changes to the gameplay if something ever got rolling, but I don't see it happening until someone independent acquires rights for EQ.

I can't believe that out of all us fans not one of us got rich and famous enough 20 years later to buy EQ and remake it. Do you think EQ is somehow responsible for this?
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Some few players I know have used a Controller for EverQuest but it's a super rare thing, the game is very difficult to play well without a mouse & keyboard so it really wouldn't suit many to use a controller for it. We will not see EverQuest or EverQuest II on a console but there's always a chance that a future game may be created in the franchise that is tailored with console gamers in mind.
  13. Nakander Journeyman

Again, we're not talking about a port to console but instead a recreation for console. The question of the controller really isn't a question at all, since similar games have done it and it worked well or better than a mouse or keyboard. I've addressed the specific issues that have been brought up, but feel free to keep setting them up and I'll keep knocking them down.

As for your other point - that we need to wait for something Everquest-like to get made - that is exactly the issue. We've been waiting for 15 years and nothing has come close (Well, except maybe FF11). Everquest was and is that good of a game. I put forth that there is an untapped, perfectly viable playerbase just waiting on console to discover Everquest.

I could embark on a history lesson here, but I'll instead wait for someone to bring up a specific point that I can then address.

What's needed is a good marketing campaign to get people aware of Everquest. I've been active in the gaming community for some time. I know for a fact that there's a crapload of Everquest fans that just don't know it yet. If SOEbreak would start putting some information out there and raising awareness, it would go a long way towards revitalizing Everquest. For some reason, though, SOEbreak has always seemed ashamed of EQ, opting instead to try and make it like other games rather than banking on what it is.
  14. roth Augur

Cannot speak towards the Xbox, as I don’t have one.

PS4 supports both mouse and keyboard. PS3 did, as well. I have no idea why Xbox would not.

Porting EQ to the PS4 makes a lot more sense than porting it to the Xbox, given what you say about the lack of KB+M support there. I’m sure there are reasons, however, even excluding manpower, why EQ has not been ported to consoles.

Personally, as someone who will have a PS4 game going next to his PC, playing games on both at the same time, I’m glad that EQ is PC only.
  15. Nakander Journeyman

But to reiterate, I still maintain there is a massive untapped playerbase just waiting on console for a game like Everquest. I don't believe a release on PS4 or anywhere else will lead to a decline in players on PC (if that's what you're worried about).

Fresh players and interest will only serve to help Everquest overall, so I still can't understand this rampant pessimism that has existed in these forums for ages.

Look at the console releases of Dauntless, STO, and Path of Exile. Millions of players added to those games from one move.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I understand your desire to see more people try EverQuest as there is a lot to love about this old game in spite of it's issues, but I think any Console EQ is going to have to have been developed for it from scratch rather than trying to crowbar the current game into a console and I am not sure DayBreak are yet in the position to invest in that, they have had a tough time since being sold off by Sony.

EQ on PC is doing Okay now, it is profitable but not wildly so, and I think the focus is on making sure it can stay that way for a long time, throwing dollars/time at a console version of EQ just doesn't seem like a good idea, this might change if it were sold onto a huge company who really wanted to expand the IP and the current titles to a wider audience but I can't see that being on the horizon at the moment.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

Xbox is supporting mouse and keyboard now so I take back part of what I said earlier.

I'm down for a port, as long as it works like the current game. I don't want Xbox chat overlays and stuff.
  18. Nakander Journeyman

Well it seems we're all pretty much on the same page. I basically agree with everything Skuz and Vumad have to say on this matter.

Darn it, I was hoping for droves of people to come out of the woodwork and naysay this idea. Call me crazy, but in my experience on Everquest forums, the more that people complain or claim something is impossible, the more likely it is to actually happen.

I would love to see an EQ revival - on PS4 or anywhere else - and it would give me no small pleasure to see it earn the respect and reverence it truly deserves.

Oh well. Hope and prayer, everybody. It's all we got, afterall.