Everquest completely gone after Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lyrical, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Lyrical Augur

Anyone know if im missing something here? Here is what I know.

Always have automatic updates turned off because Windows 10 sucks much buttox. Got home from taking kid to doctor and I see windows has updated from version 1703 to 1709. Many files like adobe reader, my printer software etc all missing including everything EQ. I went into the windows.old file where windows likes to move things to during updates and not only is nothing there but there is no windows.old file either. Ive tried restoring previous windows build. Everything is back but everquest. I tried system restore and not only is there of course no system restore point...........but all my system restore settings including back upsettings are now set to inactive or disabled.

WTFudge?

Anyone with previous experience with a good story on how to here? I mean did windows literally delete this stuff? Any type file searches manual and "file explorer" has found nothing Daybreak, everquest / launchpad nothing.

Thanks for any help. I know I can just redownload but omg at the thought of resetting back up my UIs and hot buttons and emote triggers etc. Years worth of stuff.
  2. complexication Kassina

It's an isolated event, but indeed Windows 10 does sometimes delete programs without informing the user, citing compatability issues.

A -move it may be, but the only solution is to just reinstall the program, and make sure you have backups and system restore points.
  3. draginn Elder

Sorry to hear the bad luck. I just did my update and didn't loose my EQ stuff.
  4. Geroblue Augur

Its supposed to be a security update. One last fall comepletely crashed my Win 10 computer. I had to reinstall everything after I did a Windows restart. Wouldn't let me do a rrfresh which would have worked without me reinstalling everything.
  5. Caell Augur

What folder was eq installed to?
  6. Ranonman Elder

Everquest gets installed in C:/Users/Public - if you do windows refresh, it will wipe everything except your own user folder.
  7. svann Augur

Sounds suspicious if you had automatic updates turned off. I havent heard of that happening. Could be a trojan disguising as an update?
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

1709 is now a forced update and has been a problem for many people.
  9. Lyrical Augur

There is no real option to turn auto matic updates off. Long story short you have to go through wifi settings and block their . This failed as well. I also always have my backups and restore settings very active. These were gone after this update. No restore points from the new build or the reverted build once i reverted. It is 100% not a virus or trojan as I spoke with microsoft tech yesterday and they admitted its a forced update and that its a coin flip as to whether you lose files or do not. As soon as I told him there was no windows.old folder he said then "im afraid you are out of luck unless you saved to thumb drive".

As of this morning im wifi link to scanner is missing from my printer folder. My excel spread sheet from work is there, but you cant add line items.....basically you cant type in it at all, you can only delete lines. My template listing software for ebay and amazon is still there and opens fine but all my saved templates are gone.

Ive decided this is it for me everquest wise. Not daybreaks fault but there is no way im going to try to remember and relearn where 6 toons worth of hot buttons and audios and UIs are. Would take me a couple weeks of screwing up to figure out half of it.

Goodluck folks.
  10. svann Augur

Ok, not defending MS forced update AT ALL cause thats BS
    but everyone need to be backing up that junk anyway. You never know when a hard drive crash will lose files. I (semi)regularly backup
    /myui
    /userdata
    eqclient.ini
    and for any important characters:
    name_server.ini
    UI_name_server.ini