Ever thought about why you love this game so much?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by nezran, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Megazen Elder

1. Best classes ever made, puts other MMOs to shame. Especially bard, enchanter, really unique and fun classes to play.

2. Great world building up until PoP. With super limited graphics available at the time, they managed to give zones a really unique feel and mood. No MMO, regardless of eye candy, has managed to evoke environments like EQ.

3. A sense of actual danger. This is even more true the first 6 months the game was out. EQ at release was brutal, but it gave you a real sense of fear, something no other MMO has managed to even come close to. People hated losing bodies and exp, but it gave the game an excitement that's never been matched.

4. Nostalgia. When EQ was first released, the ability to run around this huge open world in first person (the way I played the first couple of years at least) was just amazing. It was a world you could really get immersed in.

In my opinion, Everquest is the best game ever made. I've certainly never had a gaming experience like it, before or since.
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

This. No other game comes close to matching the EverQuest enchanter.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

3) Content. Content. Content.

2) More importantly, the content is consistent. an AoN looted 15 years ago is still an AoN. A Swiftblade of Zek is still a Swiftblade of Zek.

I tried WoW when it was on sale during holidays pre Legion release and played through Legion and after farming FOURTEEN TRILLION "Artifact Points" for my weapon unlocks, at the end of the expansion they "Squished" the game and killed the weapon to start.

I never logged back in.

I have characters I haven't logged in for years, but I know their stuff is all there and all the same give or take a nerf or two.

For 3 years I played Everquest as a bazaar trader only on one account.

1) Maturity. (Mostly) of the community.

Let's face it. when Everquest first started it was THE thing and not to be elitist, but only those who had semi decent PCs, time and a subscription played, which set a bar.

The game was MUCH harder on release, corpse runs, /consent playername gave loot rights and so forth. Also potions to name change weren't a thing, so if you were a canoe, everyone knew by sundown.

The third party community, like EQ Traders Corner, Mage's Tower, Druids Grove, Necrotalk, etc were all labors of love for this game and it STILL shows even with many of thos sites shut down over time, many of the people are still here.

Even today, even this week, I am a noob on a Ragefire and have existed largely on the outreach and kindness of others who have, without even knowing me, sent me PP, gear, invites to groups and power levels.

In WoW I'd be ignoring 20 autobots spamming blind guildinvites and grinding a noob in less than half the content that used to be there with less than half the abilities my class used to have.

Thank you Everquest, meaning those who have taken on and cared for this game and kept it just being Everquest and not something else.
  4. Goranothos Augur

For me, I love that there is always something to do, some new goal to try to achieve. I also love that I can play it any way I want to. If I just want to relax and grind some easy exp while chatting in Genaral or on some class channel, I can. If I really want to challenge myself, I can turn off chat, go to a difficult (for me) zone and try to hunt nameds. If I'm feeling nostalgic, I can visit old zones, or try to 2 box old raids. There is never "nothing to do".
    OldCa61 likes this.