Erudite Cleric on Mangler?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Alandros, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Alandros Elder

Looking to fire up with Mangler, I started an Erudite Cleric on Agnarr but didn't really play much so thinking of doing it on Mangler. Any thoughts on that in general? Also if so should I go Good or go Cazic and go Evil. I believe there are some item quests I can get going Cazic from Paineel?

Also what class do you think is the best chance at getting a slot in a raid on TLP? Are Clerics a good pic there (know they are a good group pick of course, at least were back in the day assuming on TLP too?)?
  2. ch0rny Elder

Race barely matters in the grand scheme things and deity only matters (marginally) for Original. If you like Erudite, rock one! Cleric will always be welcome on raids, so no worries there.
  3. Protagonist Tank

Clerics are always the biggest raid lack.

Race really doesn't matter. Diety - Evil get a better starting zone. Good get a better level 1 cash quest. Neither one will matter after level 5 or so. Play whatever sounds the most fun.
  4. Iyvy Augur

Don't do evil. Paineel as a city suuuucks, there isn't a parcel vendor. It's aids.

That said eurdites are a pretty good race.

The 10 MR is pretty great, their stats are goodish, make sure you have 75 agi. They are a pretty good looking model, and they have a pretty good porting spot, they are next to a druid and wizard ring, so getting picked up is a dream, and in classic the hole is pretty popular, I'm not sure if a cleric can actually solo undead there, but you can pacify your way down if you're very good at pacify crawling (a skill you should learn).

Additionally this starts you qeynos side, which in my opinion is the better starting area (faydwer is suuuuuuper crowded, and Freeport side as well) outside of the general trouble getting a pick up for actual qeynos players. Has some great cash quests (bandits in WK is fantastic), highpass is fantastic.

Finally they are one of the most neutral clerics. All clerics require a religion, and Eurdite religions are pretty neutral as far as neutrality goes, I think Bertox people hate you, but whatever.

With a dark elf mask you can go basically everywhere and not even be that disliked.

Clerics are generally popular for groups and raids.

Dark elves make better clerics because of hide and the snare necklace, but both of these things sound a bit better than they are, and their starting area and starting stats are rough.
  5. Innate Elder

6. Gana Augur

Cazic Thule is good for tradeskills. The Imbue is Amber to make cheap skillups in pottery past 200.
  7. Gremin Augur

If you are looking for tradeskills, then Tunare is the choice.
  8. orionfox Lorekeeper

Just wanting to verify this. I have main'd healers in other games but was thinking of going warrior/tank this time around. I can learn/play anything but if this is true, I might just try a cleric.

Since I am a total n00b on EQ raiding, clerics are the only raid healers, correct?
  9. Stagentti Augur

Yup.

I main a cleric on every TLP I play on. I love the class. Love the group healing game.

That being said - getting a spot on a raid is basically a guarantee as a cleric but it is far from exciting the further on you go. Casting complete heal on a cycle isn't an exciting life lol.

Depending on the raid you're in at times you're monitoring player health to the point you miss out on the cool mob view other classes get just spamming attacks.

I do love the class though lol.
    orionfox likes this.
  10. Protagonist Tank

Yes. Due to Complete Heal mechanics, Clerics are the only raid healers.
  11. Iyvy Augur

whyzzat?
  12. jeskola pheerie

This quote is as wrong as it is offensive.

They added a parcel vendor to Paineel Bank in April 2018.

Also, as someone who rolled up a Paineel Cleric on day one of Paineel, and has since rolled more Paineel Clerics on various Progression Servers, I can assure you it is the best. Also points for rarity.
    snailish likes this.
  13. Runes Augur

I don'y know if its an urban myth but I thought I read somewhere that someone found a parcel NPC in Paineel near the bank? anyone confirm?
  14. jeskola pheerie

Yes, they added a parcel vendor to Paineel bank in April 2018
  15. Iyvy Augur

Oh good. Still not a fan of paineel, and getting through erudin will be a huge pain. If you're gonna play an evil cleric play a human or a dark elf and go innoruk
  16. Nindi New Member

Did these on p99:Terror Forged Mask, Fright Forged Helm (instant cast Deadeye), Dread Forged Shield. They were doable as a good HUM/ERU cleric as well, just needed to be creative (wolf form + invis/invis undead) at turn in time. The helm's instant clicky deadeye was useful for junk buffs or top-slotting.
  17. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Dunno why people are saying yes to this question. While Complete Heal chains are extremely useful for many encounters from classic EQ all the way up through Dragons of Norrath expansion, they are far from the only healing strategy. Throughout all expansions, druids/shamans are generally expected to keep their raid groups alive; they aren't depending on clerics to do so. Non-clerics are often assigned as rampage tank healers. They also assist with main tank patching, especially on encounters where CH chains aren't really viable for various reasons - examples include Dain Frostreaver IV, Lord Vyemm, etc. The number of non-CH chain encounters just increases as the expansions go on post-PoP.

Other non-priest healers like beastlords and paladins are also typically expected to assist with group patching and curing duties, although not to the same extent as druids and shamans.
    Barton likes this.
  18. Iyvy Augur

Hmmm do so a human cleric could get this and get other religion clickies? What other clickies for other religions would be best? I guess innoruk?

This almost makes me want to go human...
  19. Zipe The Healer

Of course race matters, dunno why anyone would say that.
    Halfling: less shrinks and hide and sneak.
    Gnome: Tinkering and no shrink needed.
    Frog: PoK book really close to origin point.
    High Elf: Root clickie. Tunare bracers that are BiS during Velious/Luclin era.
    Human Karana: You get a clickie to Freeport and to Qyenos (Faithstone of Thunder/Faithstone of Courage). Also can craft Karana arrows for maxing Fletching.
    Human innoruuk: Snare clickie and other clickies someone else mentioned on a post above. They can also use the port to Freeport item: Faithstone of Thunder. But being a bad guy sucks.
    Dark elf: Hide and snare clickie.
    Dwarf: Cool beards and barell rolls.
    Human/frog/eru got the barbabian illusion from Mischief.
  20. jeskola pheerie

There is no issue running a Paineel Cleric through Erudin. Roll one up and try it out.