EQ Live vs P99?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Braxton, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braxton Lorekeeper

Hi all,

Reading that Daybreak has officially sanctioned (if that is the right way to put it?) the whole Project99 stuff... Where is the best place to play?
    I mean they have all of the stuff in the timelock... I got on EQ when my mother bought me Planes of Power when I was younger... and I really honestly didn't play much after that.
    At the same time, I really enjoy socialization in EQ and games like it, and I feel the need to group up with others. It's what makes it fun, and the main reason why I play things like it.

Money isn't the issue - I have no problem subscribing. More so, i'm just very curious. I've logged into both and it seems like on EQ Live I haven't noticed the real need for group play. At the same time, on P99 I was able to login and instantly I saw people and some even asked me if I wanted to group.

I'm looking for the community and I want to go where I can find it.

This is the last week of the semester. If I feel like I don't really get answers that give me the input I was hoping for, I'll just have to play on both for a while until I see what I enjoy more.

Thanks again.
  2. code-zero Augur

P99 is notorious for its toxic community. I don't know what you mean by getting the input that you're hoping for
  3. Braxton Lorekeeper

Input I'm hoping for... I'm hoping to get some input based on what's going on in EQ on EQ Live... Most feedback I hear from others is either criticizing P99's community, or it is criticizing how SOE / DBG has made updates to EQ that they feel have changed the game... for the worse.

I subscribed to Final Fantasy 14 and am not caring for it... I'm thinking of getting All Access again and enjoying myself.

I just won't want to start my adventure in Norrath again if EQ is just falling apart.
  4. code-zero Augur

The current state of EQ is really very good despite complaints by players who have their class suffer a nerf. It's a lot of fun really and my occasional trips over to TLP just reinforce that for me. The changes on the balance have been much more for the good. If they weren't then EQ would be gone and we'd not be having this conversation.

BTW, what's the problem with FFXIV that you don't care for it?
    Quatr and Borek-VS like this.
  5. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

The biggest issue you might find is going from levels 1-95ish, and finding a group during this time, as most of the players focus on 105 level toons. This isn't to say that there aren't communities, or that you can't just a progression server with lower level toons, but that on live servers, people have a decade or so head start. That said, there's a ton of content to explore, gen chats which range from annoying to hilarious, and the use of mercs to get to levels where more players are. Also, many people are playing alts during the downtime between expansions, so you may find some players levelling up lower than 105.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I don't know anything about the p99 community, but I do not share code-zero's assessment of the current DB EQ. To me, it would seem that each of the last few expansions has been smaller and smaller (with the latest one being one of the smallest ever, with just a single new zone), and that DB's communication is almost completely absent. Quests and items stay broken for a very long time, usually without any acknowledgement from DB at all.

But there is a lot more stuff in live EQ. So if you want more stuff, go live. But if you would be considering a TLP (which is missing most of the good new stuff anyhow), then I'd put more consideration into p99.
  7. Aghinem Augur

I honestly can't tell the tone of the message from the OP. On one hand he is asking for input, on the other - his statements about EQ vs Project 99 are already conclusive, but I will play along...

I don't have any opinion about Project 99 other than I constantly see people advertise on genchat trying convince people to sell their toons, plat or whatever for some account or other items on Project 1999. Its rather obnoxious. If Project 1999 were doing so well, I would think they wouldn't need to have people loiter on genchat making incessant comments about it.

The whole 'hard to find a group' thing on EQ Live is utter bullsh!t. People can get a group if they really want one; however more often than not, most of the people who claim they can't find a group are really looking for a group to AFK exp or get a free power-level in. I've tested this theory many times. I've seen people on FV genchat LFG w/ their level - I instruct our guildies who have an active group to send them an invite based on level; and those invites either went completely ignored or denied because of where the hunt was taking place or the level of the participants.

If you want to play something that is geared more toward classic, I would probably suggest paying a subscription since you said money is not an issue - and play on one of the TLP servers if that is your interest because as code-zero said, that P99 community is rather toxic based on what I have seen on genchat - and I personally would never support any entity that would force a company to compete with its own product through an emulated server.
    Quatr likes this.
  8. Quasimojo Elder

I can attest to this. I have never seen such clique-centric narrow-mindedness from a game developer. It doesn't take much to get them shouting you down in the public forums. Worse yet, the player base just feeds off that caustic attitude.
    Aghinem likes this.
  9. AlmarsGuides Augur

Phinigel or P99?

I jest.

Recently the p99 "devs" released thousands of accounts & passwords - I can't remember the reason behind it, I don't even know if it is true as the list was deleted before i got to see it. Also there was someone (a dev) on P99 who was so involved in RMT and so good at it that he wasn't found out until the IRS audited him. Also can't prove that, but I heard about it from multiple people.

You're always hearing fun drama stories from Phinigel sorry meant P99.
    Aghinem likes this.
  10. RadarX Augur

If you wish to talk about Project 1999 we absolutely encourage you to use their forums to do so.
    Quatr, Ghubuk and Aghinem like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.