Entitled to transfer solution

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by sihpa, Jul 14, 2015.

1. sihpa Augur

Since there are fears of opening a flood of grief to LJ, and the details of which toons will be allowed and which not is still up in the air per
    I would like to present a brilliant suggestion brought up in general chat tonight. (not my idea but its worth a posting!)

Let those who voted for 6 months transfer. Make everyone else reroll if they truly want to join our community.

ps I would have tacked this onto an existing transfer woahs thread but it would have been buried amidst all the bickering in them.
    Elkay and Jaxarale01 like this.
  2. AngorfLadroTholuxeP Augur

It looks like they are waiting until after the 20th or so. This could force me and other people who are/were planning on unsubbing, to pay for a month solely to transfer. Mind you I'll be on vacation half the month.
    Elkay likes this.
  3. Nolrog Augur

This isn't a new suggestion. It's been hashed and rehashed on the forms already.

Why would you want to penalize me if I voted for 3 months but all my friends voted 6 and decide to move? Now you have stranded me on a server by some arbitrary after the fact decision for no reason.

Why would you want the code team to waste their precious and limited time to implement something arbitrary and petty? Why would you think people who wanted shorter progression are going to move for the simple reason of griefing Lockjaw? If people were that intent on griefing Lockjaw, they would have rolled there when it opened and done it from the start.
    Simone and Katmandu26 like this.
  4. Katmandu26 Augur

That's been what I've been saying all along, too. Not offering transfers to everyone is only going to hurt the people you do want, not the ones you don't. Mage armies, plat farmers, and people intent on locking down mobs are going to move whether there are free transfers or not, and a good portion of them are already playing both servers anyway.

72 hours in to both servers there were level 50 mage armies running around killing things.

Locking people to a vote is an old, rehashed, stale idea - assuming they even kept track of who voted for what.

"Make them start over" is a horrible idea from a business perspective, and having people leave rather than come to your server shows a poor understanding of how a gaming business works.

Lastly, I would imagine only a very small percentage voted and changed their minds. It's not going to make a significant impact.

It's going to happen, whether you believe people who want to transfer to the type of server they came back for are "entitled" or not.
    Simone likes this.
  5. sihpa Augur

Ironically I had to "show ignored" to be able to read this. It's been stated, by enough people to create a concern, that they fully intend to move over their alts purely to grief. That's the long and short of it.

There is obviously a concern on the part of DBG too otherwise they'd not have said "We're ironing details of this out before we share them with players". At least thats how I was interpreting that statement and wanted to offer a solution that made sense.
  6. Katmandu26 Augur

I haven't seen posts about alts moving over to grief, perhaps I've missed them, but they aren't that common.

Second, that's a very broad interpretation. My assumption would be that they are determining which levels and how many to allow, not whether or not people voted a certain way. I would think it's "obviously a concern" if they state it's a concern, not if a player decides that it is.

Lastly, based on the tiny percentage of people that might change their minds after voting, I would not consider this "a solution that made sense." Most people posting here and talking in game are fairly stoic about their decision, in a loud and decisive way.
    Simone and sihpa like this.
  7. Son of a... Augur

Um....that would be called "A Hint".

Seriously, i'm just kiddin. But it was just too good to pass up.
    Templeton and sihpa like this.
  8. sihpa Augur

Why would they even worry about that?
  9. Katmandu26 Augur

Forcing a decision on anyone is bad, bad business - which is why DB is opening transfers in the first place.
    Simone likes this.
  10. Katmandu26 Augur

Maybe they won't. It certainly makes more sense than tallying who voted for what.
    Simone likes this.
  11. sihpa Augur

My point is why would they bother to limit based on any criteria what so ever if there isnt a concern? The other proposed litmus tests to make your toons worthy of transfering make less sense to me than going by what people voted for.
  12. Katmandu26 Augur

I would assert that your logic is quite flawed if you're more concerned with how people voted than the influx of a thousand level ones to your server.

It's always, always, always bad business to force customers in to something other than what was originally advertised; and while I can sympathize to some degree, you're stuck with the influx, like it or not, no matter how people voted.

I also can't foresee the 60% of players that voted for 6 months of classic backing up a forced move based on vote. I would also be the first to point out that forcing a vote move would probably gain you MORE moves, not less.
    Simone likes this.
  13. sihpa Augur

14. Katmandu26 Augur

As per Aristo on the vote thread:
    On both servers, the 6 month option got the most votes by far, meaning a very large percentage of you like things as they are and want to continue on that path. Ragefire's second choice was to unlock Kunark ASAP, but Lockjaw's second choice was to unlock Kunark after 3 months.

Let me reiterate, then, I also can't foresee the 60% of players that voted for 6 months of classic backing up a forced move based on vote. I would also be the first to point out that forcing a vote move would probably gain you MORE moves, not less.
    Simone, Templeton and sihpa like this.
  15. Templeton Augur

Getting real bored of this paranoid panic mongering.

You are helping cause exactly the animosity between the old and new that you supposedly don't want with this kind of post. You are creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

This (I suspect) extreme minority of 'scared' people just need to get over this fear of 'a flood of grief'. If you have ever even played RF you would know that that the vast bulk of the player base are good fair decent fun people. Sure, there are always incidents of asshats, I am sure LJ has those as well, but the drama on RF is between a real minority of 'badasses' chewing on each other to become internet famous in their own sad little way. It isn't the general population. This minority do not represent the general server culture in any way, they are just the visible ones that make the forums (via their meaningless dramas and self promotion). They are not the ones that will be moving.

In my time on RF I have been helped, had camps respected, been supported and had fun in PUGs. The pre raid culture is not why I am moving at all. I have found 99% of the people to be good people. Given 6 months on RF and I would happily stay.

The people that are being forced to move in order to see the progression rate that they won are not your enemy. 99% of the bad feeling seems to be coming from the LJ side right now, mostly based on a false fear. If you guys there pushing this can just relax and get over it we will have no issues. RF folks who want the slower prog they won are having to give to give up everything to move over... names, guilds, friends lists... They are the ONLY group paying the price for this progression switch... And now you want to make it even harder for them and make them feel unwelcome with this xenophobia towards them as well? C'mon...

In 3 months or so, when the pop has dropped, you will be so grateful that this transfer was allowed to happen. For now, you really need to just get over it.

Oh, and if RF boxers and RMT farmers wanted your server, they would already have it.
  16. Katmandu26 Augur

I can't possibly agree with this more.
    Son of a... and Rhiyannon like this.
  17. Templeton Augur

lol :D
    Son of a... likes this.
  18. fivestar Lorekeeper

Just let everyone transfer. Who cares, in 6 months half the people that transfer will have quit cause 6m of classic is to much.

Those that didn't leave will be here crying that Faceless and Modest Guy and Ascended Failures don't let them raid anyway.
  19. Dafootfistway Lorekeeper

Why the rush to transfer? You're still in classic era on RF.
  20. Templeton Augur

What's this got to do with the thread topic or my post?
    Simone likes this.