Enchanter question

Discussion in 'Casters' started by ceto, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ceto Elder

Hi there,

Just started an Enchanter, got him to 18 and so far lots of fun. I was wondering if there is some way to get charm spells to last longer, or if there is at least a way to know when your charm spell is about to wear off. I've been having bad luck with charms not lasting that long.

Thanks!!
  2. Tereil Elder

Nope. No way to tell prior to a break. Charm can be "extended" per se by tash. But until you get some AAs into the mez line to help the chance of charm lasting its full duration, no real way.
    But it does get better and will eventually be one of the best classes to play if you keep at the chanter.
    Fadyena likes this.
  3. ceto Elder

Thanks for the response, I'm definetly sticking with the Enchanter. It's a ton of fun to play.
    Fadyena likes this.
  4. Tereil Elder

So I can't edit my post, but I realized I said mez line. I'm hoping you know I meant charm line. Haha. Sorry about the mis-type there.
  5. SylSyl Lorekeeper

Charm breaking at inconvenient times will always be a big problem. It's completely random, just like root or invis wearing off (but invis gives a warning at least). That's why it's mostly used solo. In a group it's easier to just use your animation. But...

Casting tashan before charm will help considerably.
    Having higher charisma (up to 255) is supposed to help too. But only slightly, and after level 40 this takes care of itself anyway with decent gear.
    Keep either your pet or your target rooted if you can (or both), so when the charm does break, you may be able to recharm before you die.
    By level 60 you become eligible for some spells and AAs that make a big difference, including charms that don't break randomly (but limited in other ways -- short duration or low levels or whatever).
  6. Reval Augur

I see what you did there....but I will never be one upped by my masked nemesis!

You should use sow potions or get jboots or group with a class that can snare. That makes charm breaks a lot easier. Root is nice but breaks a lot more often than snares will.

Also, consider a strategy where the pet doesn't have to be charmed for very long like reverse charming if you find that the npc's in the zone you choose to hunt in won't stay charmed for a long enough time.
  7. SylSyl Lorekeeper

Mobs with low magic resistance will work better (that's why Tashan is important). Animals and dumb critters like ogres tend to have low MR. Caster-type creatures tend to have high MR, especially if they buff themselves. But that's only generally true, some zones will be different.
  8. Reval Augur

You can haste your pet and give it weapons. Other gear works too, but in some cases, giving a pet two weapons will make it dual wield where it wouldn't normally do that. If it hits twice a round, that's from double attack so dual wielding would make it hit 4 times a round instead. As long as the pet doesn't die while charmed, you can always kill it later to re loot the items you gave it.
  9. fransisco Augur

when arming a pet, the quality of the weapon doesn't matter.
    You can give it 2/50 daggers, and it will still hit as hard and fast as it did before. So you can use cheap weapons.
    The caveat is that if the weapon does more damage than the mob does, its damage will be increased.
    But this stops happening after lvl 20 or so.
  10. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

use root so u can bacc off and recharm with only one mob hitting u, keep rune refreshed. break charm when pet health is low and charm the second mob to kill old pet.