Enchanter pulling in tight quarters

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Rykard, May 25, 2015.

1. Rykard Augur

All,

I have been leveling up my boxing group of merry men. I got to level 85 and began farming HOT tier 1 armor and found particular named area which is giving me trouble: Dream eater.

Problem:

I kill the undead mob across the room leaving the named and 2 undead mobs together. I would hushed mind the two trash mobs. I have tried both Beguiler's AAs on the pull sending the mobs away and rooting. Every time the root wears off, the trash mobs automatically re-engage. Is this an agro range issue where mobs agro range is just too large?

My fix was just pull all and just keep the trash mobs either mezzed or kill trash then named. This way has worked every time that I have tried.

To improve my pulling skills as a enchanter for other tight quarter areas, is there anything that I can try differently?

Thank you for advice,

Rykard

P.S. Using the Beguiler's, I tried directing the trash mobs in various different directions trying to get them the farthest away with no success. Sometimes I used Beguiler's on one particular mob punting him to the very far corner, yet he would still come o'running when the root wore off.
  2. Khauruk Augur

You may need to use 'real' roots (don't forget tash!) and memblurs, but keeping them mezzed is the best bet.
    Rykard likes this.
  3. silku Augur

Have you tried just using the cone beguiler's instead of directed? Beguiler's Banishment so that the two rootable mobs fly back and mem blur at the same time, while the named (who is immune to root) comes to you?
    Rykard likes this.
  4. Rykard Augur

Yeah tried using the cone one and single target one. I just do not get it. By the spell description, it should be a complete memblur.

[27442] Beguiler's Banishment
    Classes: ENC/254
    Skill: Melee
    Target: Directional AE (330 to 30 Degrees)
    Range: 200', AE Range: 200'
    Resist: Lowest -30
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 1s
    Duration: 6s (1 ticks), Dispelable: No
    Push: 16' Up: 4'
    Hate: -1
    Max Targets: 6
    1: Cast: Beguiler's Banishment Doom on Fade
    3: Cast: Beguiler's Banishment Root
    7: Memory Blur (100% Chance)
    Text: A wave of enchantment blasts you backward.

[12828] Beguiler's Directed Banishment
    Classes: ENC/254
    Skill: Melee
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Lowest -30
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 1s
    Duration: 6s (1 ticks), Dispelable: No
    Push: 16' Up: 4'
    Hate: -1
    1: Cast: Beguiler's Banishment Doom on Fade
    3: Cast: Beguiler's Banishment Root
    7: Memory Blur (100% Chance)
    Text: A force of enchantment blasts you backward.

The only thing I can't think of is that a the level of the mob is higher than ability memblur. I can not remember if it is level restricted by AA rank. Guess will check that later tonight when I can get on.

Rykard
  5. Brohg Augur

sounds like they're just reagroing, but you can try following the beam banishment with AA Blanket of Forgetfulness
    moogs and Rykard like this.
  6. Reval Augur

I'm not sure how far the granted aa's take it, or where you character stands, but the enhanced forgetfulness aa when maxed out will make it so that nothing will "resist" a memory blur. Before this aa, while nothing ever actually resisted a memory blur, sometimes it just wouldn't work.

The banishment aa's have two components to them, and you can see both of them on the npc when it works (both components look like a root debuff). If it resists a component, it will be the root that is resisted. The other component is a delayed memory blur that to my knowledge doesn't really resist. Maybe that's based on having more aa's in it than you have, but I won't go into that. If you see one root buff and the mob was never rooted, this is the delayed memory blur.

These banishment aa's add to the confusion perhaps in that they have a chance to proc a memory blur immediately during/after the punt portion of the ability. So you can possibly have an npc blur as you punt it, and definitely have it blur maybe 6 seconds(?) later regardless of if the immediate memory blur happened to go off. Given the description has a 100% chance, you may not even need to have max enhanced forgetfulness to have a guaranteed memory blur. I know rangers don't have it and their version of this works great every time.

Your issue may be that when pathing back to their original spot, these adds that were punted just by bad luck tend to path closer to you than that spawn point... close enough to aggro you.

Another, but more rare possibility is that they are somehow linked to the boss. I doubt this is the case, but if you want to test it, you can't have them mezzed while testing it since they won't change targets while stunned or mezzed (making your use of health of target's target, or /assist not give you the correct information on what the npc is aggroing).

To be on the safe side with your pacify (hushed mind), it will only lower the assist radius of an npc. This means that if you pacify something and get too close to it, it will aggro you as it normally would at that distance. Another issue is that sometimes, when you are casting a pacify on an npc, it will critically fail and the npc will aggro you.. other non pacified npc's near it will assist in this as normal.

If you pacify something and then punt it, you would get the advantage of it not regaining aggro from other npc's for the duration of pacify, giving the memory blur a better chance to take effect, that could be a bit useful if you don't have the spare room to do the ae/multi target punt due to it possibly hitting/aggroing other mobs, which mine does a lot.

If you can stand without invisibility on in the room without getting aggro, and then pacify the adds, and pull the boss, the adds normally won't come. If they come, it may mean that they are somehow linked. Maybe the boss asks for help, or in it's way to you paths directly over one of them (it would have to be pretty close.. higher ranks of pacify reduce the aggro radius even more, so if you have rank 1, rank 2 may help more).

Good luck!
    moogs and Rykard like this.
  7. Rykard Augur

Thank you for the replies!

I checked the AA lines and, they are not level based per rank. I have the AA that improves memblur maxed for level. I have been able to pull the mob separate from at least one of the trash mobs so, it does not appear to be linked. The only thing I can think of is re-agro during pathing back to spawn point.

It guess I just need to get used to using the tools of the enchanter and just MEZZ all if it does not work. Guess the years of SK pulling has stuck with me since they are pull one and done.

Thank you again,

Rykard
  8. Isule Elder

3 mobs, lets call them A B and C. look like this in a room A B C. Use your pacify line on A and C, pull B. Next round use Pacify (or knockback memblur) on A or C other auto pulls.
    Rykard likes this.
  9. Rykard Augur

Isule,

Yeah tried that part with mob B being the named. It worked well enough for me to get one trash mob. I was able to handle the mob first then kill named.

Main issue I had was getting Beguiler's to work. Initially, I would try and use it to clear the add(s) off from the named I was attacking. No matter which Beguiler's AA I would use, the adds would return whether or not I punted the add completely to the opposite corner or not.

Guess I was looking for tips for tight room pulls like you posted or a correction on the enchanter pulling tricks in case I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for your reply,

Rykard
  10. Khauruk Augur

Use proxy agro.

Paci A, Paci C.

Tell tank to tag B when it comes.

Root, mez or stun A, B will come if it's w/in agro radius of A. Memblur A, debuff B. Ignore C.
    Rykard likes this.
  11. moogs Augur

You can use Beguiler's on the same mob multiple times in rapid succession. He can be punted hundreds of units away.
    Rykard likes this.
  12. Rykard Augur

gotcha..thank you for information on Beguiler's.

The attempts I was focused on making Beguiler's work I would try punting mobs across the room. This would take two or more uses. A few attempts I had two adds and would use Beguiler's and punt them. All was good until root icons faded. They would re-engage. I would punt again but, eventually it became too much and overcame my tank/healer.

It was just a very odd situation whether it be pathing or proximity re-agro. I think what I learned from it was enchanters are very good cc so, if I get a re-engagement on Beguiler's again, I will just CC adds after one re-engagement.

Thank you reply and information,

Rykard

P.S. I have reached high enough level to use hypnotic stare now so the CCing of multiple adds is getting much easier. I just need to work through the new level/new spell fizzling.
  13. Rykard Augur

Thank you for reply.

I did something similar on a few successful pulls. I see a few mentioning stuns of posts but, it seems our stuns is a PB AE. Is the range a bit larger to allow for it and, does the six seconds give enough time to allow for an AE mez?

I have another question if okay. As a cleric, I would use their pacify line but it always had a certain usage required. I would always have to pacify all mobs in area. If not, all mobs would come. Is the enchanter pacify line similar?

Thank you,
    Rykard
  14. Isule Elder

Also paci reduces the radi, you have to look at the pathing too. If the mob paths through the other, they can still agro.
  15. Khauruk Augur

Stuns - you would use a single-target stun, of course. You would also only use it if mez doesn't work.

Paci - it reduces agro radius, so you only need to paci as many mobs as are required to prevent the agro of other mobs.

Let's say you have a pack of 4 mobs at the corners of a diamond. Depending on spacing you may be able to paci the front one, and get no adds. If they are too close for that you may be able to paci the front one and the 2 at the side corners, and not get the rear one. Depending on spacing you may need to paci all 4 in order to pull one out solo.

If you have another group to the side of that diamond, you may need to paci some of them to prevent agro as they move around.

A more typical chanter tactic, though, would be to drop an AE mez on them all, grab the one you want, and throw memblur on the rest, or just keep them all mezzed if it's a good dps group/tight area, or separate another out w/ BDB and root w/ the clicky ring/shield/spell, and mez the remaining two to be split after (or you could pull one, charm one, root one, keep one there and have the 4-split done in one go, or a variety of other means).
    Rykard likes this.
  16. moogs Augur

This is one of my favorite enchanter spells. I found that I get a much lower rate of resists when using the Rank 2 version. And don't forget the Type 3 augment to make it last 6 seconds longer.
    Rykard likes this.
  17. Rykard Augur

Will try some of those techniques when back from vacation.

Thanks Khau,

Rykard
  18. Rykard Augur

Oh my, I did not even think about using type three augs.

Thank you again!

Rykard
  19. Ravengloome Augur

moogs likes this.
  20. moogs Augur

Unearthed belt is awesome. I have it next to my Fog of Memories AA for a 1-2 punch. And Blanket of Forgetfulness for the crowds.