Enchanter mez procs mem blur

Discussion in 'Casters' started by anastazia, Dec 24, 2014.

1. anastazia New Member

I am pretty sure they added a slim chance of a mem blur to enchanter's mez spells as a kind of bonus proc.

With the extended target window that's been around a while now I find the mem blur component just annoying.

I can't tell you how many times I've mezzed a handful of mobs only to have mem blur fire on one and have it disappear from the target window.

Now you have to search through your handful of mobs and try to re-target the one that blurred so you can watch the mez timer or just risk it waking up and causing mischief.

This idea may have had merit a while back but I personally would like to see mem blur removed from mez spells.
    Brohg likes this.
  2. Venjenz_vox Venjenz_bertoxx

Cycling targets can be hotkeyed and keymapped. If you're using the extended target window, you're still cycling through mobs, you're just using a point-click mini window to do the same thing your TAB key does.

Sorry, but the free memblur is fine by me, considering the number of times I may have to remezz.
  3. silku Augur

AE mez, AE tash. I use the mem blur too much to want it to be removed. It's a powerful pulling tool. Just AE tash afterwards and reaggro everything. For that matter, if there is more than one mob to be watched.. they all have the same AE mez timer....
    RPoo likes this.
  4. Axxius Augur

WTB a new activated AA: Negation of Forgetfulness (ENC, BRD). Same deal as Negation of Subtlety, but suppress the blur chance on mezzes instead.
  5. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

I wouldn't really say they added this, as it's been around since the beginning of EQ. As a bard, it's an important feature of mezzes.
    silku likes this.
  6. Duskincense Journeyman

Couldn't agree more. In fact, it'd be much better if proc concussion/boggle lines instead of mem blur.
    Jordis likes this.
  7. silku Augur

If they changed it, I'd prefer it proc more chromatic haze. That's been the most beautiful thing they've done for us in a long time.
    Jordis and Sancus like this.
  8. Axxius Augur

If Haze procs even more than it currently does, the next expansion will be called Ocean of Melee Tears. ;)
    Jordis, RPoo, silku and 1 other person like this.
  9. Random_Enchanter Augur

From what I've seen certain mezzes, stuns and nukes (as well as dots i believe) have the chance to proc chromatic haze
    Jordis likes this.
  10. silku Augur

I believe the direct damage component seems to work. I do know it procs off our mana tap dot, haven't seen it from the others but I don't cast them much. I have not seen it from mezzes but I think twincast mez probably should trigger it? Have yet to see it from the whirl till you hurl line but I'm betting it triggers it too.
  11. segap Augur

Or people could learn how to play an enchanter like we did before the extended target window existed. It's not that hard to keep track of mobs by position and keep them mezed. If you have a good rhythm, you can keep track of when to refresh mez without timers. You're also better off using single target mez 90% of the time instead of relying on ae. Random chance of blur has always been there and never caused me any problems.
  12. Zaknaffein Augur

Being able to suppress the blur from mez would be quite beneficial on some raids. Defense of the city comes to mind ~
    Jordis likes this.
  13. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

The game just isn't played like that any more. Back in the day, due to me running around all over looking for approaching wanderers, and getting a better viewing angle on the pile of mobs I had mezzed, my healers used to complain that they were always playing a game of FADQ. Find the Almost-Dead Qest. Today, thanks to everyone being forced to wear roughly the same gear, and thus there are no 5hp cloth-wearers, and the Extended Target Window, that's unnecessary.
  14. Venjenz_vox Venjenz_bertoxx

It is by at least one enchanter, because in the last two weeks, my buddy and I have gotten into some pretty funny "whoops, my bad on that over pull" moments, and I am playing the old way. I am just too used to TAB cycling my single mezzes. I never had an extended target window back in the day, so I am really good at not paying any attention to it now. Single mezz and TAB just keep on working. I am also not point and click, I use a g13 for all the core functions, so my left hand can target cycle, move, strafe, cast all of my gems and holler out my mezz/charm/slow chat macros without moving.

If anything, I like how the memblur drops the target off the extended target window. It helps me save on mana, assuming the memblurred mob was mezzed far enough away to not aggro. Guess I just cannot see the issue with free effects that make enchanting easier, and memblur makes life easier, not harder.
  15. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I'm an old skool Enchanter too, as I said. Been there, done that, got the robe.

That said, I can't imagine how you can perform to today's expectations without utilizing the Extended Target Window. It would be akin to staring at a book while meditating just for nostalgia.

Speaking of meditating, I have the impression that our mezzes cost just about no mana, despite the fact that I'm neither Primary, nor Secondary Specialized in Conjuration. I tell Clerics not to use QM on me, even when the raid is really counting on me, because as soon as I hit 6% of my mana pool, I consider myself fully-operational. The only way I can manage to spend significant mana, generally, is doing a lot of nuking. Thus, saving mana mezzing doesn't seem a worthwhile consideration to me.
  16. segap Augur

The extended target window does not tell you position of mobs. If you get in a real oh sh#t situation where you need to keep multiple groups of mobs under control, targeting them without the extended target window is much more precise. Also, when all the mobs are named the same thing, it's a lot easier to remember which is which visually than in a list that might change order. About the only thing that I do rely on the extended target list for is knowing which mob the tank merc has a liking of.

And I have no desire to go back to the days of staring at my spell book while trying to do crowd control. I remember how fond I was of mobs that made noises so I'd know when they entered the room and needed to be mezed.
    Jordis likes this.
  17. Random_Enchanter Augur

A bit off the OP's topic here with the targeting thing, so I'll say this:

ANY enchanter worth there salt will use all three forms of targeting to get the job done in what is believed by that enchanter to be the most effective way to do so.

Cycle targets, manual targeting and extended targeting are all tools to get the job done. All three have there uses and there situations where they should, and shouldn't, be used.

Back onto the OP's topic. Memory blur on the mez line is in the same, there are times when it can be useful and times when it is detrimental, and we have Mez spells that have a chance to blur and ones that don't. Don't want the chance for the mob bluring? Use the other mez! Unless I'm completely mistaken the AA line only adds % chance for blur to happen and does not add a blur to every mez. So what if you lose 18 seconds of length on the mez, it wont blur the mob.
    Jordis, RPoo, silku and 1 other person like this.
  18. Silv Augur

^that.

ET window is just another tool. It's actually optional!:rolleyes: If you don't want to use it because it 'makes you less of an Ench' then go for it. Personally, I'll take any help I can get that will make me more effective at my job.

I don't mind there being a blur component on mez. I mean, I do mind sometimes, but I don't think it should be removed. That is mostly because you have choices. Lots and lots of choices. Almost too many choices! :D
  19. Brohg Augur

I think it's an anachronism. A throwback to when there weren't several AA blurs, and clicky blur, and especially no reliable tank agro. In the day, if you didn't wipe your mob's agro, a warrior's failed Taunt button (never reliable) meant the enchanter would 100% have to tank the mob when it woke. Mez would never have been built with blur in the first place if tanks didn't completely lack actual agro tools for the first several years of EQ.
    Ismel likes this.
  20. Ismel Augur

This, after we got the blur aa´s there are no good reasons for mez to blur mobs anymore, in the group game it is fairly irrelevant if a mob gets blured or not, but there are several raids where it is a problem.
    Jordis likes this.