Echoing Stone Tear - 5% isn't 5%.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Daislet, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daislet Augur

I have this evolved to level 10/20.
    It's 2% (max 5) to Defense.
    When I look at my skills, my Defense is 345/340. 2% should be 347/340.
    The Final Version shows it to be 5% (max 10).
    This means it would go to 350/340, (i.e 3% Defense), rather than 357.

I believe it might have been overlooked when you changed the XP required for the item to evolve recently - the fixed max numbers need to be raised.
  2. Riou EQResource

The 2nd max number is the cap it can boost to, this was put in awhile ago on all skill % mods to limit them in power and so they can eventually add more and have non unlimited power %'s
    Mykaylla, Qwestwic and Dzarn like this.
  3. Daislet Augur

I realise that, but that item has been recently introduced, why have the cap set at the lower percentage?, the cap at 5% for 340 should be 17, else if you want the cap to be 10, then set the defense % to 3%.

An example would be Icy Prism of Avoidance, it's 8% with a max cap of 36. I would have to have a defense baseline of 450 to reach that cap. And that item is LDON old.
    The Tear is a new item for the current expansion, yet the cap is a lot (60%) lower than it's target defense %.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The first number is irrelevant. They wanted you to have a maximum of 10 skill points. They could have set the % to be 12345% it doesn't matter. All they wanted was you to have 10 points.

And before you ask why they didn't just give you 10 points, the answer is because it doesn't work that way. Those mods are %-based, that is how they are coded. They have to assign a % value then cap it at what they want.
  5. Khoza Augur

Items which had a % modifier previous to the change were given a cap equal to the max potential skill boost possible, with that %, before the change, so that the limits wouldn't be a nerf to anyone, while keeping said older items from scaling any more than they already did. That's why the max on the prism is so high. The Tear was introduced after the change, so they had freedom to set the max where they wanted it, without complaint. (Or so they thought...)
  6. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

Working As Intended.
  7. Tallanor-emarr Journeyman

To me this just seems a poorly designed item, on the whole % and cap utilized. I believe all current classes get a defense skill above 300. The overall cap being 10, doesn't fall in line with the % mod on the item. Since all classes get defense stats above 300, an overall cap of 15 would make a lot more sense, or a reduction on the wasted over percentage, either way your getting the same thing, the real potential of this item can never be realized with the % and cap listed on the item.
  8. Hatsee Augur

The real potential is the cap, you're just confused about how these things work and want more than it was intended to give.
  9. CaRnon Augur

when it comes to numbers and stats I always trust what Bei says... I think he lives to crunsh EQ numbers... 8)
    Sinestra likes this.
  10. OldTimer Journeyman

Whats the Best way to get this to evolve ? Over a year, I am at level 12, There must be a better way
  11. Siddar Augur

Both numbers are relevant.

This is a item for level 95 players the two numbers should be consistent with each at that level. At higher levels when total defense skill increases to a higher amount that is higher then at level 95 then the % number should start to under perform it's stated % total.

In this case ether % displayed needs to be lower or the maximum increase needs to be higher.
  12. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Do "Word of xxx" tasks in Pillars. Do them alot. Then do them alot more. Etc.
  13. Xirtket Augur

Yea but those diminish the more you repeat them, I wish they would just remove the xp restrictions on this and let any kill go towards it.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  14. OldTimer Journeyman

I tried - Crises of Faith - solo task, this is next to warrior Impossible without F Death
    There must be another way
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The OP is correct, the Item is horribly designed. Either make the max for the final item equal to 5% of the VoA Defense cap or make the +% of Defense be equal to what would be possible for 10.

People already have a poor opinion of the competence of the Dev's at times; we do not need them to be purposefully flaunting their lack of basic math skills.
    Pirlo likes this.
  16. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Crisis of Faith isn't one of the Word of xyz tasks though is it? ;)
    The only ways to level it are killing alarans and/or clicking the fragments you get as reward from doing pillars tasks with the optional step completed.
  17. Pirlo Augur

This is one of the most worthless pieces of garbage loot in the game. Horrible item, horrible "benefit", and horrible leveling requirements.
    Chandrok, you could have done a lot better than this.
  18. Riou EQResource

Chandrok didn't do it ;) (Dzarn did, he didn't want to make it too powerful or he thought the other Devs would reject it)
  19. Mykaylla Augur

Okay, but what if they change skill caps for different levels at some later point? It has been done before, multiple times (Bash as an example has been all over the place in the max cap to it). What about the fact that not every class has the same defense cap?

An enchanter at 95 (cap for VoA) has 310 max defense unmodified. To get the 10 points, it would need to cap at- let's call it a 3.226%. So now you have to go to the nearest whole number up, so it has a cap of 4%. But then people would complain that they're not getting 12.4 points from the item. A knight, though, has a skill of 365 at 95, so they would only need- let's call it 2.74% to get 10 defense points. Now you need separate items to give each of those classes the same 10 points- else the knights are going to be upset that they cannot reach the percentage potential due to a cap that keeps both classes even, or the enchanter is going to be upset that they can't reach a sufficient defensive skill to max it in the expansion that it was designed for.

Or... perhaps Dzarn designed an item to give everyone a maximum of 10 points in defense. Now it can't just give you +10 defense, because it doesn't work that way for this skill- it has to be a percentage mod, but NOW they can cap how much use you can get OUT of that percentage mod. So he gives it a percentage-based mod with enough leeway that if skill caps are changed later, they doesn't have to change the item (resulting in nerf cries) unless they're really drastic, that ensures at each stage of evolution, it will cover the classes with the lowest defense skill (so it does the same thing for everyone) at 90 (the minimum level to begin VoA progression), and should some later expansion give you a short-cut path to enough Alaran skill to get the task (like oh, say, Rain of Fear) at a lower level than you would have been required to in VoA to obtain the item (it is, after all, only a recommended level item, not a required), it's still functioning on the power curve intended, and everyone gets the same 10 points of reward out of it.

And 5% is a nicer, rounder number than 3.5087719298245624035087719298246% too.
    Elricvonclief and Filatal like this.
  20. Paradisic_parasite Elder

I like it. One of the few items that actually requires alot of work :p.
    If you don't then just leave it be like all the other myriad items that are of no use to you?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.