Early TLP Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Azazael, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Azazael New Member

Greetings all,

The purpose of this thread is to post tips and tricks that will help us during our first few days playing the upcoming TLP server Phinny.

I will start with an easy method that takes approximately 16 minutes and generates 2.1 platinum and a nice chunk of experience. This tip is for anyone traveling from Freeport to Kelethin:

Freeport to Kelethin (16 minutes, rewards exp and 2.1 platinum):

1) First travel to east Freeport and go to the bards guild hall. Upstairs you will find a gentleman who will give you a quest to deliver a parcel to the bards of Kelethin. Accept the parcel and travel to Butcherblock.

2) Once you arrive to Butcherblock, hail the half-elf bard under a tent at the docks. She will give you an envelope to also deliver to Kelethin. Next, make your way to Kaladim.

3) After entering the gates of Kaladim, make a left and you will quickly find a wood elf who yet again, needs you to deliver a piece of mail to Kelethin. Grab the letter and head over to Kelethin.

4) Once you zone into Greater Faydark, run northeast through the forest to quickly find Kelethin. Take the nearest lift and go to the Bards guild. Deliver these three items, and you will be granted 21 gold for your troubles.

*Everytime you travel from Freeport to GFay you should be doing this quest to get a couple easy platinum. You can also get a package to deliver back to Freeport, but its only one item not three unfortunately.

Cheers,
    AZ
  2. Nolrog Augur

That's awesome. Thanks. I'm going to bookmark this and try it later.
  3. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Storebought armor!

EQ is not a game where we generally buy gear from vendors. However, when starting out untwinked you can get a nice baseline piece of AC gear in every slot but jewelry from the armor vendors in each city. It's generally got the same or 1 AC higher than the trash loot dropped versions and is generally lighter. You don't have to find it, it's waiting for you as soon as you have the coinage for it. The cloth and leather are very cheap.

Here's the kicker...I wouldn't even suggest this much less do it if it wasn't for this...When you sell it back to the vendor, you get back nearly what you paid for it. It's like renting gear until you have something better for each slot and you are able to actually take a few hits as a nooblet.

You can also get shields this way, although I'm not entirely sure offhand if they have the same sellback value as the armor. Bear in mind also that these aren't flagged MAGIC if you are a basher.

Speaking of which, if you find yourself in dire need of a MAGIC flagged weapon, gypsies (and, I think, Shady Swashbuckler in commons tunnel) sell an array of Combine weapons that are. They are nothing to write home about and are a little pricey at 100-200p, but they are better than fine steel and will take care of not having a MAGIC weapon until you can get something better. These, also, sell back nicely but I think the loss is higher than with the armor.
  4. Ducreux Augur

If you start as a caster do this at level 1.

Turn in your note for your robe, sell the robe for 7-9silver. Spells got changed to cost like 4-5 silver each for levels 1-6 stuff so this lets you get some of your core class spells without killing mobs first. Races with more CHA can grab 2 spells while those with less may have to settle for 1

Necro - Cavorting Bones,
    Mage - Elementalkin Water
    Wizard - Numbing Cold (underrated low level nuke, can solo AE mobs by kiting between recast)
    Enchanter - Pendril's Animation + 2-3 Tiny Daggers
  5. Batbener Augur

Make a karana halfing. Go to the little garden in front of the druid hall and hail Hibbs(I think that's his name). He'll give you a quest that has you zone out into misty and talk to a guard and get a coin to return. When you do, you get xp and an item. It's a repeatable quest and gets you to level 2 relatively quickly, and usually enough coin for a bag or two. Make sure you go train your skills once you level, because you will still be fighting with level 1 skills, which has been known to cause a stroke. It's a good way to get some xp and coin without stepping out into the big wide world.

Noobie quests are one of the most underrated parts of this game for classic.
  6. Tseroth Elder

make your race/class combo before phinny comes out and make sure you can sell your starter robe. some class combos cant :)
  7. Delphwind Augur

It's almost like we tested, and tested, and tested this recently ...
  8. Numiko Augur

in neriak you can get 2 10 slot box's by starting the Fire Beetle eye quest and the newbie armor quest, the armour quests do not work but some of the quest givers will still give you the combo box.

The fire beetle box only takes small things, but its better then no bags at all.
    Alphont likes this.
  9. Zinth Augur

if the one you want doesn't work, then make your char and THEN create one of those that works... get enough to put in shared bank, go back to normal char, have fun and enjoy
  10. Slambit Journeyman

Dont forget the bard in felwithe with a note for kelethin bardguild :)
    Shadowslain likes this.
  11. Tachyon Augur

For casters, only buy the spells you absolutely need at lower levels. Do your research as a good 2/3rds will never be used after you scribe them into your spellbook. If you are a completionist you can always go back later.

The same should be said about loot. Any caster class can level from 1-50 practically naked. Does gear help, sure! But not nearly as much as you think. Save your plat for spells and worry about gear when you are 50.
    Slartibartfast likes this.
  12. Ashenor Lorekeeper

Any other halfling ones active you know about?
  13. Moranis Augur

^This. Roll a caster first...gear up with cheap AC items (gotta have a flashy robe tho) and grab any HP stuff if it's cheap or free. Save up coin and invest well.
  14. Zublak Augur

So what you're saying is make a toon on one account/pc and then log on another pc under another acct, make a toon, sell robe, give money to other logged in toon via trade, delete toon, make another and then rinse repeat until you made a deleted enough toons to acquire a decent chunk of spell money? Cause I mean shared bank needs plat pieces, it'd take a lot of robes to round out a plat, but if you can't put that silver in the shared bank you'd have to have a mule sitting there to trade with.
  15. MBear Augur

No.
    Just as he said, make a character (get your name), then create a new one....sell...shared bank...etc
    No need for more than one account or computer. Can't tell if this is troll or no?
  16. taliefer Augur

you can only put plat in shared bank, not the silver you get from selling the newbie robes
  17. MBear Augur

Oh, I see the point now. Seems legit.
  18. ShaggyGrant Journeyman

I think Zublak was confused as he thought the plan was to sell the robe then transfer the money to buy the spell on your main. The plan however would be sell the robe, buy the spell, put the spell in shared bank.
  19. Finley Augur

Whenever you see a skeleton holding a staff, kill it. Cracked staves sell for over 1pp!
  20. Moranis Augur

Assuming you can kill it before Magebot4...