Dual wielding warriors in Call of the Forsaken

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tzevi, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Tzevi New Member

My fellow gamers, I would like to address the EverQuest developer staff directly:

I was led to believe that warriors would be able to dual wield again with the 20th expansion. Having tested it, I have not only noticed no change in dual wield mitigation, avoidance, or DPS, I have a strong suspicion that sword and shield DPS has been scaled back--but is still more dps than dual wield.

Shield tanking is for knights, so you should let knights shield tank. Pretty simple logic.

Warriors are supposed to dual wield; so you should give us incentive to dual wield. Again, simple logic. We can't cast spells so the ability to wield two weapons is really the only thing that separates us from knights for group content. As the game is right now, it makes little sense to play a warrior unless you raid and not all players raid. I have played a warrior as a main since Omens of War, and despite your utter lack of competence at class balancing, the warrior remains my favorite character.

If you cannot follow the simple logic of returning a class to it's intended function, maybe it is time to admit that Verant just did a better job developing EverQuest than you. If simple logic eludes you, perhaps it is time to retire, pass the baton, give the development responsibility to a staff that is willing and able to make the game .

Essentially forcing warriors to shield tank is probably the biggest mistake you have made in the history of EverQuest. It was a bigger mistake than the god awful Gates of Discord expansion, a bigger mistake than your greedy, rapid fire, filler expansion releases during the end of the previous decade, and a bigger mistake than EverQuest Online Adventures.

I am very disappointed in the new expansion, I had expected more from you, Lord knows you've had time to improve but I guess you are contented with a mediocre product, which is why World of Warcraft has more subscriptions than you.
    Thiefboy777 likes this.
  2. Espiritun Augur

is that why my tank merc is so bad in COTF, because he is dual wielding.
  3. Tzevi New Member

I think that has more to do with armor class. My brother is a level 100 druid wearing group gear for most places and he says his tank merc is only 300 ac ahead of him. Granted plate supposedly mitigates better than leather, but 300 more ac than a druid is pretty darn low.
  4. beryon Augur

Who led you to believe that? The devs never said anything like that.
  5. Battleaxe Augur

Comrades! I would like to present this missive directly to He That Wieldeth the Power.

I was led to believe that Elidroth is commited to Warriors tanking with a shield and has directly stated DW is not for tanking. DW is for DPS. Further it is my belief that he has said he'd like to do something to insure that DW does more DPS than S&B. (I assume he means when we are not tanking. When we are DPSing and another is tanking).

To my left appears the icon which has represented Warriors for a very lng time. Study it closely. The object behind the sword is a shield! Prior to the release of Kunark there were Warrior only shields! Warriors could use a shield immediately and didn't even get DW until they were a higher level. Warriors received the Shield Block AA and Warriors benefit from shield AC not being subject to the softcap.

Clearly with the passive mitigation of tanks related to AC and shield AC not being subject to the softcap, shields represent the most useful piece of "heavy armor" as spelled out in our long standing class description as making us unmatched in surviving the most brutal battles.

Warriors long held higher bash skill caps than knights.

Clearly shields are for Warriors.

I could go on for another 100,000 right to the point indisputable words, but I'll just leave off instead. Tyvm. Oh, so this thread is not a complete waste of time you are invited to click on my sig below and view the 50 AC 240/240/240 Red Dragon Scales aug on my.....shield. I do however apologize for using an inferior shield. I'm working on it.
  6. Mithrandyr Augur

You can't completely lay that at the feet of the dev team. Your class community chose the path your class would go.
  7. Battleaxe Augur

A substantial portion of the Warrior community would say they object to that direction.

However with Warriors having already received the Shield Block AA's and shields having massive amounts of not subject to the softcap AC, it's very difficult to suggest shield aren't for what they are obviously for and that the Primary Tank is less a tank (armoured mitigator) than he is a Florentine school 17th century velvet clad DWing duelist.

It makes a lot more sense that a tank would tank with a shield (especially considering its benefits) than not.
  8. Falos Augur

I'm a group geared single account owning warrior and I dual wield tank all the time. I've noticed my level 100 cleric merc is able to sustain heal me through the most fearsome of encounters. Honestly all i need to overcome everything in the game right now is as follows:

2 big swords
    1 potion of alacrity
    and of course no time to bleed.

With that holy trinity of power I've died exactly zero (0) times since the mighty call of the forsaken has launched.
    Riou likes this.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Not sure where you got this idea from.
  10. Tzevi New Member

I just can't get excited about shield tanking. It was one thing when it was used for named mobs and raid targets, but who decided that shields need to be used for ALL content? That's just silly.

And by the way, if this thread is "a complete waste of time," why did you bother replying to it?
  11. Damoncord Augur

Because he is Battleaxe AKA Battleblade, and he will rabidly attack any thread that mentions an option not to use S&B for tanking, even the discussions months back when we were discussing how DW needed more DPS to be ahead of S&B DPS when not tanking.
  12. Powerful Elder

I believe It was discussed in one of the EQ discussion panels during SOE Live.

-Warriors will get fixed to make dual wield viable again by use of parry mod in the game when the second weapon is equipped. Shield will still be the best tanking option but dual wield will have its uses.

-Warriors DPS will be fixed so 2hand and dual wield will be more dps than sword and board-this effect will affect knights as well.

I wouldn't expect it to be anytime soon though
  13. Battleaxe Augur

I believe it was discussed as well. If memory serves, Makavian asked about putting a parry mod on the offhand weapon and the reply was - DW is not for tanking, DW is for DPS, etc.

At a later date Elidroth posted in a thread that he wanted to make DW (I'm not certain he mentioned 2H, but I think not mentioning was an oversight and not intended) do more damage when DPSing than S&B.

I've posted the question and the reply at least once - probably more. Do you have a direct quote with Elidroth saying yes to a parry mod? (I don't think you do since in fact he squashed that suggestion).

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/war-pal-irc-chats-10-12.2222/

find viability of Dual Wield and 2H weapons and start reading
  14. Explicit Augur

Anyone else find it funny that Falos, a mage, is trying to say warriors are overpowered? This is the 2nd thread now he's posted false info.

As for DW and all that jazz, I don't recall anything ever being said about that that could be considered concrete - especially not in regards to COTF.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. Battleaxe Augur

"<11@Elidroth> I've said many times that I want dual wield to be viable again, but not for tanking"

"I've said many times" sounds pretty concrete to me.
    Mom can I have a cookie?
    No.
    Mom can I have a cookie?
    No.
    Mom can I have a cookie?
    No.
    Mom can I have a cookie?
    No.
    Mom can I have a cookie?
    No.
    Mom can I have a cookie?
    No.

"Especially in CoTF?" Do you see offhanders with shield benefits in CotF? I don't.

"I was led to believe..."
    "I don't recall anything ever being said about that that could be considered concrete..."

Let's not waste each other's time:
    1. Elidroth has said many times DW is not for tanking. DW is for DPS.
    2. He's said he'd like to take care of the DW [and 2H?] DPS issue vs S&B used when not tanking.

That seems both reasonable and logical to me. Others find they were led to believe or didn't hear or heard but it didn't sound solid, or ...
  16. Explicit Augur

Actually, I was adding that nothing pertaining to DW was mentioned specifically for COTF.

In a strange turn of events, I agree with you in that DW should not be for tanking and I always have. This is because I simply do not care for it as others do, it has been removed from the game for so long that to suddenly replace a shield as the "main tanking" option would be far worse than it's initial removal.

However, if they want to add it as a DPS option then have at it -- so long as it actually beats out a shield (personally, I would prefer 2h for the dps option). I'd much rather be mistaken for a knight than a bard (plate, DW).

All that being said, whatever we end up with, I will continue to play my warrior.
  17. Battleaxe Augur

I missed the intent of what you said by focusing too narrowly on the words.

"<11@Elidroth> I've said many times that I want dual wield to be viable again, but not for tanking" was stated in the Paladin /Warrior AA discussion while CotF was under construction. I saw it and believed it applied to the content being worked on.

I can't quibble with Elidroth's ex cathedra pronouncement (not that disagreement will get you anywhere unless you have one heck of an argument).
    <11@Elidroth> what I see really for warriors is 1h/shield is for tanking, DW and 2H are dps
    <11Voodoman> my little paladin pony
    <11Beezy-again> Kidding of course
    <11@Elidroth> DW hits faster for smaller amounts and less crits, while 2H hits slower, but harder, with a chance for BIG critical hits
    <11@Elidroth> but is also less accurate

It makes a certain amount of mechanical sense and is something people ought to be able to accept.

Dye your armor cobalt blue and put a Jagged Blade of War ornament on your 1 hander used with a shield - no one will mistake you for a knight or a Bard. You'll have a unique to warriors look no other class can duplicate.
  18. Makavien Augur

They actually did have that announced somewhere right after fanfare but like powerful said I wouldn't hold your breath if it does go live it will still be much weaker then the shield set-up. At least in the tanking sense but will prolly be more dps then sword and board just give him time this kind of stuff takes awhile.
  19. Makavien Augur

Go get your pet swing hate or taunt button fixed to work like someone actually not wanting to taunt would do instead of trying to get our 1 good ability since flash of anger nerfed....
  20. Battleaxe Augur

They? Who they?

And Powerful's post contained several specific things without a quotation to back them up. I am inclined to believe

Warriors will get fixed to make dual wield viable again by use of parry mod in the game when the second weapon is equipped. Shield will still be the best tanking option but dual wield will have its [BA: DPS] uses.

-Warriors DPS will be fixed so 2hand and dual wield will be more dps than sword and board [BA:when players are not tanking] -this effect will affect knights as well.

I believe with Warriors widely displaying AC h/e/m augs on their primary weapon (because they tell us survival trumps DPS or aggro) that Elidroth is not going to accept them forgoing the use of the best AC item in the game (shields) when tanking.

I absolutely believe DW and 2H will be viable again and 2H will be viable for knights

"<11@Elidroth> I've said many times that I want dual wield to be viable again, but not for tanking"
    "<11@Elidroth> what I see really for warriors is 1h/shield is for tanking, DW and 2H are dps"

And if one ignores stuff like "I was led to believe in the 20th expansion" and specifics followed by confusion and fog - /cough "announced" "sometime after fanfare" perhaps in the parking lot, maybe it was a parking valet that said it. But he/she DEFINATELY said "parry mod" (which let's note he absolutely ruled out in previous occasions and you of all people know it)

the pronouncements are consistent.and interestingly enough
    "<11@Elidroth> what I see really for warriors is 1h/shield is for tanking, DW and 2H are dps"
    sensible.

With that poll on TSW being something like 26 out of 32 responders favoring DWing 100% of the time its pretty clear this is not a brings in throngs of Warriors to log their opinion hot topic and at least some Warriors passed the course in basic logic - shields are for tanking. I think Elidroth understands that too and he doesn't do random/sketchy just to be random.

(IF Powerful has said No Time to Bleed makes more content trivial enough to be tanked without a shield and Elidroth is using that to give DW a trivial mob tanking role, I might have bought it. But "parry mod" after what you were told and how silly that would be...I don't buy it at all).

Warriors - put a jagged blade of war ornamentation on your primary weapon. People will know you aren't a knight or a Bard. Your unique look will be restorethed and you can focus on tanking geared like a tank.