Druid Raid Kiting

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MightyUnclean, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MightyUnclean Elder

I think I'd like to make a druid alt, but I hate kiting. Do druids have to kite mobs in raids? Or is that something way down the line in future expansions?

Thanks!
  2. Batbener Augur

Maybe here or there, but druids rarely kite during raids. They buff, spot heal and most importantly in this era pick everyone up
  3. MamaBear Elder

Druids are kinda known for their kiting ability. We are the quad kite kings. If you don't want to kite, you might want to choose another class. I mean, you can always play a druid but kiting is what we are known for.
  4. Agrippa Augur

How much wisdom and mana are we looking at to even think about quad kiting? I remember doing it at 34th, but I'm also pretty sure that they had more than classic gear equipped. I'll agree that kiting is probably something that you'd want to learn as a druid, though, but that's hardly the only way to go about getting experience.
  5. Rauven Augur

Let me see if I can help the OP out since people want to go on tangents.

Is there any raid targets that require kiting in the CURRENT content?

That's a binary question.
  6. Vlerg Augur

can't think of anything in classic that require kitting.
    nothing in kunark
    the old Vulak'aerr ring with 15+ wave of mob may had kiting at some point... will that version be in?
    can't think of anything in luclin.

PoP... rallos zek? ( kite the arena mob) + some of the HoH challenges?

and those will likely be done by knights. not druids..
  7. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

To directly answer your question OP... Pretty much never. Rangers would be in front of us for raid kiting and either way knights are the ones who take the role of kiting adds or whatever around in raids.

^ This is true until lvl 70. That is if you stretch it out. The last quad kiting nuke druids get is Karana's Rage at 62. They recently brought them back but quad kiting goes the way of the dinosaur once you are 70+ until.. House or Veil I forget off hand.

Also kite groups are a thing of the past with how things have changed you will rarely ever see them. If you want to play druid don't worry about having to kite.
  8. squidgod Augur

Druid kiting was always a soloing thing. In raids, the off-tanks usually kited.
  9. Porygon Augur

Level a druid, sell your pl services. Profit!
  10. Tarrin Augur

Druid raid kiting is rarely something thats needed.
  11. Nickatropolis Augur

druid kiting in groups is a more likely scenario when there is no chanter or bard to mezz adds.
  12. MightyUnclean Elder

OK, thanks for all the help.

How, exactly, does quad-kiting work? Round up four mobs with AOE snares and DOT them all up individually, while running them around?
  13. Agrippa Augur

My quad kiting as a druid was fairly limited, but at 34th level druids get a targeted AE direct damage spell that will hit up to four NPCs in range of each other. At that level, you'd use your best single target snare to round them up and clump them together. Then kite, pause (stopping and turning helps), then blast away with that AE line. Repeat the process until they're dead. This works best with mobs of the same type and level.
  14. MightyUnclean Elder

Gotta keep re-snaring? Or hope you burn them down before the first snare drops?
  15. Toadloc New Member

I recall having to re-snare once or twice during a quad, back in the day.
  16. Quazie Elder

You need to keep resnaring, but keep in mind that Ensnare last about 14 minutes. If you can't kill things in 14 min you're choosing mobs with too much hp.
    MamaBear likes this.
  17. MamaBear Elder

Agreed. :) And I should have clarified that raid kiting only happens rarely but the "usual" druid until GoD did a heck of a lot of quadding. Gosh it was my favorite thing to do. That and swarm kitting on my bard.

You just put on some good tunes and zone out and reap the benefits of XP and $$ solo without splitting it with a group. I found being a druid peaceful lol. Thus I am doing it again!

As far as raiding, I do not have experience raiding with a druid until PoP as druid was my alt back then, but I know druid heals were a little lack luster before PoP and a druids utility was mainly used for porting etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember guilds having too many druids.)
  18. Flandersian Augur

With all the mages running around, I would expect to see some kite/pet groups when mobs get a little tougher (read: currently years away). Maintain snare agro while the pets wreck shop. But, no, druids are behind SKs, pallys, bards and rangers on the raid kiting list. It may happen, but is pretty rare.
  19. Rhodz Augur

Some things are required for efficient quading.
    Wis gear, takes some manna for those AoEs and snares. Clarity helps but until KEI isnt going to make much difference.
    The higher level snare, Ensnare, 6 minutes iirc.
    The higher level AoE, Lightning Strike I believe is the first that really makes it work. These hit a max of four mobs in a tight bunch.
    A crap ton of melee mobs of same type.
    This is why only a few camps are quadable.
  20. Nickatropolis Augur

Quad kiting is great especially in vellious with the wyvrens. I would use single target snare as it lasts way longer than AOE snare.