DPS Weapon Questions

Discussion in 'Melee' started by kinadafz, Sep 15, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

I've been using the formula that involves dmg, dmg bonus, and delay (don't remember calc off the top of my head), but it is the same one Alla uses I believe.

But, it is my understanding that offhand don't use dmg bonus. Also, it doesn't fire all the tiem due to dual wield, double attack, etc.

What is the rule of thumb for primary / secondary weapons, when to put one in primary, when to put it into secondary, etc?

Better to have a slow, heavy hitting secondary? Better to have a better dmg / delay ratio in secondary? If two weapon are of equal dmg/delay ratio, do you use the faster one or the slower, bigger hitter one? does it matter?
  2. Riou EQResource

damage bonus is only 0 on offhand until you buy Sinister Strikes AA then you get the % listed of your offhand weapons damage bonus, it is always per hit and only on the offhand weapon hits. Primary weapon gets full value always

higher ratio primary

if you're playing on live generally damage augs will make same ratio faster weapons better ratio post damage augs
  3. kinadafz Augur

that's what I've been doing, the ratio calculation involving dmg, delay, and bonus for both main and off. I haven't ran into a weapon that the weapon was better or worse than a counterpart after removing both dmg bonuses from each weapon, they tend to scale pretty well.

thanks, although that makes it a little more boring on trying to figure out what weapons to use lol.
  4. Riou EQResource

You could be a 2her user and have to only juggle half the weapons! :p
  5. mackal Augur

I just do damage / delay. Higher number in main hand, 2nd highest in offhand.
  6. kinadafz Augur

Speaking of 2h - how the heck do you determine if dual wield is better than 2hand? I know the general consensus is dual wield always is better, but is there any type of formula?

Assume equal amount of AA's to both dual wield / 2h are spent.
  7. Thrillho Augur

Parsing.

I used to know the equations. There's so much that goes into DPS, it's just not worth it. Procs, various AAs, discs, abilities, heroics, etc. It's too much to handle in an equation - you're better off just smacking around a combat dummy for a few hours.

For monks, 2h is about 7-10% better than dual wield at the moment (max AA, raid weapon comparison). If you're using dual wield, put the lower delay weapon in your primary, and put your max damage aug in it too. You want to hit as hard as you can as often as you can. This is going to give you more chances to proc an ability too. In terms of procs, the 1hb had a substantially higher proc than the h2h - so use the 1hb in primary and you get a significant increase in DPS.

The longer you parse, the better you'll be. I try to go for 10 hour parses, but even at that length there's still RNG influence. You should be able to reasonably tell if one setup is better than another after 10-ish minutes though.
  8. kinadafz Augur

What's a recommended parsing program? I've never used one, it's new to me.
  9. Thrillho Augur

10. Filter Augur

Since monk's have the ultra fast 2hb weapons, I can't imagine them using anything else but that but I didn't check the ratio of the two hander weapons?
  11. kinadafz Augur

My specific scenario would be just group content, lvl 100 gear.

For example, I use this currently:

Fused Coral claw- 94/18 and Sol Cestus, also 94/18

Primary has a 10 dmg aug, secondary has an 8 dmg proc aug

It would be compared to the Sol Staff, 247/35, and whatever the marks of valor 2h aug is (14 dmg?)

I could camp and get the Cerulean Crystal Hammer easily enough (283/30) or the Fused Coral Quarterstaff (178/23) easy enough for comparison however.

Basically, any T1 TDS weapon I can get. I could probably get most if not all T2 TDS weapons also, for reference.

I also have a warrior that will be interested in hearing these answers also :)
  12. Brohg Augur

no you could not
  13. mackal Augur

Isn't it just kill about 50 million TDS mobs and you might get one?
  14. kinadafz Augur

Ya, the crystal hammer was the wrong one from my list, sorry about that. But, the Fused Coral Quarterstaff is a good example of a semi-easy to obtain 2h to compare to the existing 1h setup.

I did just get a 96/18 h2h though from Brother Island. Very cool zone