does game run in windows 10?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by yuno71, Mar 25, 2016.

1. yuno71 New Member

Hey all. I tried to install and run the game after 10 years. It downloaded 10 GB's of data fine but when i tried to start EQ it failed to start. Keeps saying the launchpad must be updated and starts a SOE launchpad updater dating from year 2001. I was wondering if the game runs under win 10?
  2. Rhaage Augur

yes, it does, but you may need to download older version of direct x
  3. yuno71 New Member

BTW the launcpad updater doesnt work also, gives some error messages
  4. yuno71 New Member

hmm ok will try that thanks
  5. yuno71 New Member

Still cant get this work.
    ''(c) 2000 Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
    All Rights Reserved.

Checking for new files, please wait...

EverQuest file update failed. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or internet service provider for assistance.
    (patch.everquest.com:7000TCP)''

This is the message i get. It loads directX but fails at launchpad
  6. Diceyst New Member

I play in windows 10 no problem, there has been connectivity issues with the Launchpad for the last few days.

Also it should be trying to launch Launchpad.exe not a really old everquest launcher. sounds like you tried to install from a disk from pre-launch pad days.

You should go onto daybreaks normal website and sign in and you can download the Launchpad for everquest which will install all the other files correctly. Back to my original thing though the Launchpad is having connection issues right now.
  7. Weverley Augur

No problem playing with windows 10 but i agree with other poster need to have directx 9.0c and getting the launcher from everquest website not an old launcher.
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

Did you initially run the latest installer via this link (https://launch.daybreakgames.com/installer/EQ_setup.exe) ?

When you install Windows 10 it also install DirectX 11(?) I think so you will need to have 9.0c for EverQuest.
    When you invoke the EQ_setup.exe from link above to start the EQ install process it does a DirectX check and prompts you to install the correct version necessary. (Different versions can coexist).
    If 9.0c is not present, it'll download from Microsoft and install accordingly. If it is present it'll state as such and continue with no changes to DirectX.

I would suggest redownloading the setup file from the link above and restarting the install. When you get to the "Choose Install Location" dialog box just point to the path of your current EQ installation.
    That way it'll run a check on what files you already have and it won't redownload them because they are already present.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Qbert Gallifreyan

After switching to Windows 10, I get that error also. When that happens, it is a hint that I have to run the game as an administrator to patch something. That has not failed to work so far. I didn't change the directory when moving over to 10, so I don't know why it triggers now and not in the past 17 years.
  10. yuno71 New Member

Thank you all for replies. Apparently this had nothing to do with win10 but my old everquest files from 10 years ago. I totally deleted and uninstalled my old EQ. Then I downloaded whole game to a new inventory and it started working. If same thing happens to someone else this may help probably.