Do we think Win11 will break the EQ launcher?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Stymie Pendragon

Well my MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon released at the end of 17' so its not quite 4 years old yet, and it doesn't have TPM 2.0. I haven't looked for a bios update yet, so maybe there's a way for me to get it.

I imagine this is going to be quite a big problem for many users.

Edit: I found where to turn it on in motherboard settings so I guess I was wrong.
  2. Leerah Augur

And Dune novels.
    Tatanka likes this.
  3. Leerah Augur

I've been trying to troubleshoot that since the last Windows update I did. I'm pretty sure now that it's the EQ patcher. I'm pretty annoyed that for every 8 characters I log on 2 of them will crash to server select, tell me someone else is logging into my account or tell me that EQ will now close and run the patcher because I have an old version of it!

Why aren't more people having this problem?

4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You might try Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop. It's pretty much the most user-friendly distro I've used. It's the only one I'd even recommend to someone to use instead of windows.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

I keep a spare machine running Mint. It's an amazing distro. I don't do much with it but that's because the machine was intended to provide Linux tools to diagnose and repair faulty Windows boot disks. (To my knowledge there is no Windows equivalent to DDRescue!)

But the business ecosystem drives many people to Microsoft because that's what people work with every day in their occupation. It's tough to use Excel all day at work and then go home and try to use Open Office Calc on your home machine.

For example I have a rudimentary XLSX file I use to keep track of the augmentations I equip on my characters. One column maintains the AC value for the Aug. Sorting the entire sheet by that column is trivial in Excel but Calc forces you through hoops to accomplish the same result. Some people don't have the patience to deal with this clunkiness and the rough edges of Linux-native programs.

That said, the Linux ecosystem continues to improve by leaps and bounds. And I still think the DoJ should have broken up Microsoft back in the late 90s for their ruthless and corrupt restraint of trade.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Perhaps using the patcher when logging in multiple chars at a time is the issue. I think most of us who log in multiple chars use the nopatch option, and skip the launcher. I only run the launcher immediately following a patch. That's probably why you don't hear more people talking about it.
    Leerah likes this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Only if you actually upgrade to Win11. Which, I imagine, is a vanishingly small percentage of installed (consumer) systems. Most people don't bother, and just get the new version of Windows when they get their next system.
  8. Stymie Pendragon

That may be true, but if it's anything like the way Windows 10 was pushed out many folks will end up installing it without knowing there may be downsides. I remember Microsoft constantly popping up reminders to upgrade to 10.

In my case, I came home from work one day with Windows 10 loaded after putting it off for months. Turns out my mom was visiting and installed it without really thinking much about it. I wasn't too happy to put it lightly, but I got used to it. I really liked 7, but 10 turned out to be pretty good I guess.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I remember that, too. I also remember getting fed up with it, and finding something on the web describing how to turn off the nag-ware. Worked pretty good!
    Stymie likes this.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I use google sheets for my EQ spreadsheets these days. It's a lot easier to share with others / access from different locations.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

I'll make a note. :)
  12. Coagagin Guild house cat

And look into upgrading your TPM chip's BIOS. This is an option on many not quite up to date chipsets.
    Metanis likes this.
  13. Lutar New Member

I have the same issues. I used to be able to leave one server and then go to the next. Now, when I exit one server I can still select another server to join but it forces me to login twice before it lets me in. The whole thing is buggy. It tells me someone else is trying to log in blah...blah...blah. And now this morning I can't login to one of my accounts at all. I have a ticket open on that one.
  14. quakedragon Augur

If it breaks it.
    Thats means they gotta make a new one right?

New things can be better? Maybe a open more than 1 account button :), you know for the boxers. I can't imagine a 32 boxer. Having to go do the launcher 32 times, and if eqclient crashes, gotta do it all over again lmao.
  15. Strawberry Augur

The problem with tech companies violating privacy has only gotten bigger.

In the past you were simply "IP number xxxx", only your ISP really knew who you were.

Nowadays, many people's credit card data, their location (wifi/4G) and their social life is online. Tech companies go out of their way to spy on people for targeted advertising and marketing research.

A handful of tech companies (Google, Apple, Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon) have extremely detailed profiles about many people, often far more detailed than the government.

Not only is that a security problem, it is a political problem too. If your political beliefs don't match that of the government or if you are critical of tech companies, tech platforms can make you disappear online. At no time in history have tech platforms and governments been able to wield so much power online.

Windows 11 forcing people to make an online account, is really a massive privacy violating. This idea that your main OS is not only aware of what you do online and offline, but can actually link this data to a person, is such a disaster in the making.

Of course you can lie about your identity when setting up an online account during Windows 11 installation, which you should, but most gullible people will just give their personal information to Microsoft.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think you should also mention that not only do they know what you do on their sites but they know what you do on the rest of the internet. And when it comes to mobile devices they know every app you have on your device and how much you use them.
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The last time I installed Windows 10 Home I was unable to make a local account, so this may have started a while back. I tried all the workarounds and options to skip the online account but couldn't find a way. I've done two installations of Pro in the last few years and never had that problem.
  18. CazRaX Elder

I've never even tried a Windows Home version at all, going to need to try it, see if/when they removed the local account option.
  19. Strawberry Augur

Yup, many tech companies can track beyond the scope of their own sites. Each site that has implemented Google/Facebook ads or uses "Google Analytics" (which is a lot of sites) is basically helping Google and Facebook to spy on people.

Facebook was sued for this, because they were following people who never had a facebook account. Of course Facebook still does it, they don't seem to care about fines because the fines are much smaller than the profits they make through violating privacy.

Not to mention that many sites are simply hosted on Amazon(AWS), Microsoft(AZURE) or Google(Google cloud) servers.

[IMG]

It wasn't until Amazon AWS servers were down for a few hours, and a third of internet sites in the Western hemisphere were suddenly offline, that people understood the power of Amazon AWS. Amazon is not just an online shop, Amazon controls a massive part of the internet.

[IMG]
  20. Strawberry Augur

Just checked what services Daybreak forums use, it uses Google Analytics, Microsoft email services. And Facebook and Twitter services.

These handful of Big Tech companies are probably able to spy on 90%+ something of sites and its users.

Politicians keep saying they will do something to limit the power of Big Tech, but they don't do anything at the end of the day, since these politicians simply get paid off by Big Tech during election years. They're paid off to do nothing.

[IMG]