Direct X 11 API Port Postponement

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Good day Norrathians,

The DirectX 11 API Port, originally scheduled to launch with the October 2023 update, is being postponed to a later date that is not currently set. There are some critical issues which have recently come to light that are blocking us from releasing this to the live servers at this time. We will continue testing it on the Beta and Test server, and we truly appreciate everyone who is continuing to assist with testing and reporting issues.

As always, we appreciate your understanding and patience while we work diligently to find a resolution to these issues.

Safe adventures,
    The EverQuest Team

UPDATE: The Direct X API Port will not be shipping with the expansion release on December 5, 2023. We will keep you all updated when we plan on its release and appreciate the continued feedback and testing on it.
    Sturmlocke, Rondor, Nymphai and 25 others like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Good call.

Well done Team.
  3. Herf Augur

And there was much rejoicing.
    klanderso and Skuz like this.
  4. Xyza Journeyman

Beta looks fantastic in DX 11. Can't wait to see it on live.
    Hobs, Angeliana and Mossaa like this.
  5. Lodestar The Undefeated

Excellent call. Thank you Angeliana and developers. Beta and DX11 are absolutely not in a position to be released yet. Looking forward to continued improvements and diligence. Hope to help continue to be a part of that process. My list of critical and necessary issues to fix/improve on:
    • Continual framerate hitching (stuttering) due to memory-load in of environmental models, even when a player does not zone. Example: Run back and forth across a Palatial Guild Hall with multiple environmental models from one end to another: The hitching (and resulting mouse skipping/lag) never stops, due to the zone elements never stabilizing in memory.
    • Framerates have not improved--in some cases they have decreased (on an OC'd RTX 4090/7950X). FPS is a critical issue in zones like Laurion's Inn where 100+ people are stacked and congregating. FPS drops to less than 10 on the highest end computers that exist currently, when looking at the Inn from afar. DX11 should dictate a significant increase in performance as seen with Guild Wars 2 rollout before/after.
    • In the above bullet's example: Player models are being rendered when looking at Laurion's Inn from the field outside of it even when said players are not physically in view. This is of course just one example, and the same situation exists throughout the game world. This causes frame rates to drop to unplayable levels in high congregation areas.
    • Players on Windows 11 need to be made aware of flip presentation model setting in advanced graphics settings. Without this, mouse input lag and hitching is further exaggerated and exceptionally problematic.
    Hobs, klanderso, Raptorjesus5 and 3 others like this.
  6. Zeelot Elder

I'm also noticing significant performance drop and also the hitching/stuttering with DX11 even though I have a pretty high spec machine.
  7. Swiss Augur

Thank you for delaying it until the issues are resolved.
    Skuz, xcitng and klanderso like this.
  8. Ozadar Elder

I wish they would fix the Inventory window blocking all other windows in the new GUI. That should be the highest priority in the new patch. Many people (most of my guild did) went back to the old GUI just because of that issue.

Ozadar of Zek
    Ascending Dawn
  9. Herf Augur

You can fix this now. Go to your in game options -> Graphics (?) and look for the little square click box on the lower right. Click that. FULLY relog, problem solved.
    klanderso likes this.
  10. Igorath-Bertox Elder

Why couldn't you do this with the new enigine where people on the test realm said it isn't ready. I've still got flickers, the extra 2 inventory slots keep flashing, I can't see the quantity of item on my cursor until I put them in my inventory... so much wrong with it.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is nothing to fix with that as that is just a product of the new UI not being finished yet.
  12. CdeezNotes Augur

The fix would be not releasing broken stuff...
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The updated inventory window being on top is not broken or a bug as has been explained by the dev team multiple times. The issue is that the new UI is partially released and the question is should it have been partially released or waited to be fully done before releasing it.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

You are new around here.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

I wish. Otherwise I wouldn't be so jaded.
  16. CdeezNotes Augur

If it doesn't work properly with the existing UI, it's broken, regardless of the rhetoric you take a face value. If the UI isn't functional as it was prior, that's a broken. That would be listed as a break fix incident in my company. Actually, with enough tickets for the issue, a major incident would get opened and remain opened until it got fixed. I'd be in major trouble telling the end users "oh it's not actually broken, it just doesn't work with the old UI components" That means the UI, overall, is in a broken state.

We all know the answer to your rhetorical questions. If you can't release something compatible with the current, you don't release it at all until it's 100% completed. That is common sense.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because it is always on top doesn't mean it is broken. The devs have explained why it is working that way and why they don't consider it broken. They have added the ability to disable the new UI so you won't be impacted by this issue anymore.

Yes, it would have been a good idea to not push any of it until it was completely done with it but that likely wasn't their choice.
  18. Lodestar The Undefeated

Accurate. And additional windows shouldn't be updated to the new UI, until font clarity is fixed first. Otherwise you just have more unusable windows and time spent. If the font clarity issue cannot be fixed, then every new window pushed will be in vain.

But, this is a DirectX 11 thread, and we should refocus discussions.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

If something doesn't work the way it used to, it's functionally broken, regardless of the rhetoric you wish to accept at face value.

In a vacuum, are the windows broken? Maybe not? Some people are definitely getting broken windows. Are the windows broken within the overall functionality of the game? Absolutely. End of story.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And how the new ui interacts with the old ui is working exactly as they expected it to work. They said that from the very beginning. They have also added functionality to disable the new ui to stop that from happening. The only real question is if it was possible to not push any of it live until the entire feature was ready.

Just because you don't like how a new feature interacts with an existing one doesn't mean it is a bug.