Difference between wording [Loot], [Gather], and [Collect] in quest steps

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rannie168, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Rannie168 New Member

Greetings all,

I've returned to the game lately and following Hero's Journey doing quests.
    Here I am looking to double check the difference between [Loot], [Gather], and [Collect] in quest steps.
    As far as I 've noticed:

A. [Loot] can NOT be pre-looted

B. [Gather] can be pre-gathered, for example
    Tudor's Wine, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3805
    Gather a Bottle 0/1 (Goru'Kar Mesa)
    Gather a Water Flask 0/1 (Goru'Kar Mesa)
    --> I carry many [water flask] as drinks, so I get update upon receiving the quest.

C. [Collect] can be pre-collected, for example
    Breath of Draton'ra #9: Strengthening the Blood, https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3874
    Collect 1 Branch from Refugiu 0/1 - Goru`kar Mesa
    --> I already have [Branch from Refugiu] on me, so I get update upon receiving the quest.

Are my findings correct, or are there exceptions?
    By the way, I play on FV server.
  2. Treiln Augur

Yes and no. It all depends on the quest. For the most part, [Loot] has to happen afterwards.

But you'll come across some quests where it says to collect/gather, and it doesn't update until you've gotten the quest and started collecting (aka, no pre-gather)
    Annastasya likes this.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

If it says "loot x item" then you almost always need to actually loot it while you're on that step of the task. Not always, but almost always.

Collect/gather are more inconsistent. Often the task will update immediately if you have the item in your inventory when you reach the proper step, but not always.

Also, some quests you can update the collect/gather step by putting the item into a trade window (using your merc or a pet or an NPC) and then cancelling the trade. It updates once the item is detected entering your inventory.

And yet other quests even though it says collect/gather, you actually have to loot the item. That's EQ for ya. There's general tendencies, but not hard and fast rules with this type of thing.
    Rijacki likes this.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Its only by design convention, not by rule so yes there can be exceptions. It all depends which script function they used, the display in the quest window is just a text string and someone could have gotten it wrong for a quest. Not sure I can find the reference post at all any more, but "gather" and "collect" may be backed by the same script function, its just up to the dev which flavor text they want to use.
    Rijacki likes this.