Difference between Glitterfrost VS. Ancient Glacier Frost? (Druid)

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Lambro, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Lambro Lorekeeper

They have the same cast time.

Ancient Glacier Frost only does 150 more damage and it costs a little more mana too and I think it's a raid drop.

I'm all for more damage but 150? That's it? And it only drops in raids? Doesn't make it sound worth it.

I've recently came back to the game after not having played for 13 years.. so just trying to understand some things while I level up and get rolling again.

I've been Googling for a bit now trying to figure out why would one want the Ancient version and I saw some comments saying it was more efficient but I don't see how that can be when it uses more mana and only does 150 more damage.

Anyways, here's the list of level 70 druid spells. They are both on there.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

It's a 8ish percent increase in max cold damage from a nuke. If you don't have mana issues and both are available, you use the Ancient.

Remember with Specialization and Mana Pres stuff, the base spell cost is just number ... do an inspect on the spell from the spell gem to get the actual cost for you with your gear/aa/skills/buffs.

The OoW ancient spells are all kinda the same ... about an 8 percent increase for more mana. Druids also get an Ancient heal which follows the same path.

It's the start of spell ranks (just not called that) which don't become realized until TSS.
    Lambro likes this.
  3. Lambro Lorekeeper

Thanks!
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, you can't look at the base # difference (150), you have to look at the percent increase. As Cragzop said, it's 8%.

Also, isn't that a really old spell, like level 65, or 70? At that level, 150 is actually a noticeable amount of mob HP! ;)
  5. Lambro Lorekeeper

Yes, I get that. I was just browsing through my spells list and was just curious what the difference was. Like to be knowledgeable on things like that cause it'll come in handy later in the game so I know what I'm doing lol

But I'm only level 20 anyways so I have a long ways to go...
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

One thing worth mentioning, if you haven't see it: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html

ZAM's EQ site has a great spell database, and it's pretty easy to see spells and compare values.

Looking at level 70 spells, I see the two spells you mention, and the ancient is 8% more damage for 6% more mana. So it does look like a better spell. If you do the raid and get it, of course.

Until you hit level 75, and get Rime Crystals, which is even better than the Ancient spell.