Did we get changes, who left?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Mar 27, 2024.

1. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Well as someone who has written hacks in C++ for some games, I would never take a role that only paid $59,000-$76,000 and wants someone who can do C++. If you just wanted C# or java then sure a starting of that would seem fine. If it was remote you could maybe find someone who wants to do it on the side for fun. I would expect a min of 100k+ if you want someone who knows how to do anything in C++. I wouldn't consider it for anything less than 200k with all my years of coding and where I would have to move for it.

• A working proficiency in C++
  2. fransisco Augur

yea, I do find it confusing. These are gas station wages for someone with programming skill and experience
  3. Strawberry Augur

Being able to write C++ is not difficult. But getting someone who can write safe C++ is difficult, and testing if that person is able to write good C++ takes a lot of time.

C# is so popular because the language and compiler will look out for you. It will limit memory leaks, it's strictly OOP and won't allow you to mix procedural and object-oriented code, it operates within the safety of the .net environment.

C# limits how big of an idiot you are allowed to be. C++ allows you to write horrible code, even "modern" C++, it should have been phased out long ago. Unity's editor for example is C#, but the core rendering engine is still C++.
  4. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Yea I much prefer not having to write in C++ and I don't consider myself a great C++ coder since I only use it as a last result. When I was writing hacks for WoW it required lower level send keys etc that I had to use C++ for that wasn't possible in C# since all their anti-hacking code would break it. With C++ you could go down lower level and send a key that the application could not tell it wasn't coming from a physical button press on the keyboard / from a real mouse.

I got my degree like 17 years ago but I started coding when I was alot younger and I don't think my college even offered classes that required C++ coding. I took experimental test classes for game coding so we made games in unity (unity is pretty much no longer use with all the fallout but back then they were still pretty new compared to current version) etc so we just used C# mainly. College got me a degree but I don't really think I learned anything in college outside the fact that programs my teachers used to try to find cheaters was stupid and I failed a class for cheating because I used a framework I had published online and the teacher used an online test program and said I stole my own code hah. The code he said I copied didn't even do what the requirements for the project was. So sad that the teacher can't even tell the code I wrote wasn't doing what he said I copied did.
    Grove likes this.
  5. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I like how ambitious their application system is, with 10 digit IDs for positions.
    Metanis likes this.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

unsafe
    {
    // laughs
    }
  7. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Remote work is available in CA, WA, TX and NY states.
    CrazyLarth and minimind like this.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Funny. I was just thinking about a change in my career.

Not moving to San Diego for $50k/yr. And you don't offer remote work where I live.

Hope you find someone with a pulse for those wages. My contractors walking in off the street make $50k/yr. :confused:

PS: They're obviously getting some interest. That's good!

Sorry if my post came off abrasive.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Allworth Elder

The states listed for remote work seem to be ones where Daybreak is doing business in already.

According to LinkedIn, the associate game design job has already have over 100+ applicants. Due to the mass layoffs in the industry, this is not surprising.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Sigh, really wish I could, I have the technical skills, quick learning ability, and deep knowledge of EQ, but I'm on disability for a reason.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Well, my chances of being hired even if I did live in those states are not great but Daybreak might save having to go through a bunch of applications if they make it clear up front that only those who live in (or are able to move to) CA, WA, TX and NY should bother to apply to work for them.
  12. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Likely other tax considerations for a business beyond the employee's income tax stuff.
    minimind likes this.
  13. Pintoy 3 Journeyman

"San Diego is the home of Darkpaw Games, creators of the legendary EverQuest and EverQuest II games." Technically Verant Interactive and 989 Studios created Everquest and Sony Online Entertainment created Everquest 2.
    Herf likes this.
  14. Pintoy 3 Journeyman

Location: San Diego, CA / Daybreak Approved Remote Locations (CA, WA, TX, NY)
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

One strategy during a tech layoff period is to scrape the bottom of the barrel and see what you come up with. Sometimes it's excellent talent who's just at the end of their unemployment payments and it's either this or flipping burgers or living on the street.
  16. filthytlpplayer Elder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't SOE technically just renamed/rebranded to Daybreak Games when it was sold off in 2015, and is in fact the same company? Isn't the whole Verant vs 989 Studios vs SOE thing just kind of how Sony was organizing their studios (beyond maybe a brief independent thing with RedEye Interactive when 989 shifted toward developing PS games)? The people involved with developing the game/franchise didn't really change beyond regular employee turnover right?
    Hobs, Rijacki, Kaenneth and 1 other person like this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hobs likes this.
  18. DruidCT Augur

That's a little unfair. Maybe half. They are trying to pick up people graduating with Cs out of UC San Marcos (no offense, they need to work too).
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

That puts a whole other spin on this.
  20. JetZeppelin2h Augur

Well the one thing missing on the job post is whether or not they care if you get stoned during the day? I am sure there are alot of coders out there like myself who would consider a cut in pay if we can get stoned while working during the day being alot of these states are legal states!