@devs re: Quality of (one gnome's) life on Agnarr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by NiNiK, May 1, 2019.

1. NiNiK New Member

NiNiK, a particularly earnest and excitable young gnome has asked me to post on her behalf. (The letter she herself wrote was written in crayon, on construction paper, and was completely covered with drawings and stray observations that seemed to me to be apropos of nothing whatsoever.) Here is my best attempt to translate ("for the growned-ups") her Agnarr wish list.

NiNiK would like to petition Bristlebane and the "less nimportant" Gods, including, apparently, Devs, for consideration of the following changes:

1. CHOCOLATE MILK. Chocolate exists. Milk exists. It is apparently a crime against gnomanity that chocolate milk will not combine on Agnarr. (As an aside, I only played a little bit beyond PoP back in the day, and NiNiK drank nothing else, so it seems likely that this isn't due to chocolate milk being tied to a later expansion.)

2. FIREWORKS. As a gnome and a tinkerer, the first purchase NiNiK ever made when she discovered DB points was her beloved fireworks rack. She has also spent AA points on Fireworks Glyphs, on more than one occasion. She has heard a rumor that there is a second, more spectacular Fireworks Glyph available to some gnomes for 100 AAs. She can hardly imagine anything more wonderful than the "flutterbyes" of the Tier 1 fireworks, and I myself can hardly imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to spend 100 AAs on something so fleeting and silly, but I am not a gnome, and this particular gnome for whom I am petitioning is heartbroken that she can't see those fireworks even though she has 100 AAs and is more than willing to spend them.

3. TOYS. Perhaps unfortunately, NiNiK has learned from a gnome in another realm that there are more toys available to gnomes outside of Agnarr. For example, she was informed that had she not been born on Agnarr, she could have purchased a Nimbus of Holly effect at Frostfell. NiNiK further alleges that, even now as you read this, the possibility of a "flutterby nimbus" exists for gnomes beyond Agnarr. I believe that these effects might confer a bonus other than the purely cosmetic, but NiNiK did not feel her petition would be complete if this were not included. She doesn't care about the "buff" component. She just wants more toys to play with.

4. CRITTERS. The only things NiNiK loves more than sweets and toys are animals. I suspect that she's partial to those with soft fur, but she adamantly insists that "all critters are cuddlesome". She has a dear friend who is a Guktan who would like nothing more than a frog familiar. She would be especially delighted with a pretty tree frog that looked like those found in PoValor or PoWater. There is also, according to an Iksar acquaintance, not only a dearth of amphibious familiars, but one of reptilian companions as well. She appreciates the recent Nektulosian mamba , and respectfully requests the consideration of turtles.

5. GAMES. NiNiK enjoyed the Stomples Day Easter Egg Hunt. (Possibly more than anybody in the history of the event. She collected eggs for herself. She collected eggs for friends. She collected eggs for strangers. Grundle Cogwelder has invited her to speak at an upcoming zoological symposium.) I am well aware that many of the special events that occur in other realms are not available on Agnarr due to the power of the rewards earned upon completion, but NiNiK and I both wanted to express our appreciation of those few events that are available to us, and a fervent desire to be able to participate in as many as possible. Her enthusiasm would not be dampened if the rewards were "scaled down", or even not conferred at all.

6. PUPPIES. On this issue, NiNiK and I happen to be in complete agreement. Please reconsider your removal of the "puppies" (more commonly referred to as "stat mounts") from Agnarr. NiNiK has a puppy, and a pony, and a polar bear, and now even a clockwork rhino, and she dearly loves them all. She is not personally affected by this change; she just finds it terribly sad. As for me, I understand that the 250 hp/200 mana buff bestowed by those mounts was deemed unbalancing. However, I would like to respectfully suggest that allowing most of the server (those who created a character during the first nearly two years of the server's life) to have access to this buff, and yet denying it to anyone who might wish to join us from this point forward, is, in fact, far more unbalancing, at least in the unique case of the Agnarr server. At least on Coirnav, players who join in the fun a bit late will have access to a (presumably) similar mount at some point in the future. This is not the case on Agnarr, and anyone who might be tempted to come adventure with us from this arbitrary point forward are denied the possibility of ever obtaining something that most of the players here take for granted. As the only progression-locked server, Agnarr appeals, in part, to a subset of players who long for "completion". It is the only server where you can make your character, for lack of a better word, "perfect". Characters created on Agnarr after the launch of the newer and shinier TLPs, will never be equal to those created before.

7. ICE CREAM. Last, but certainly not least, NiNiK cannot and will not get over the fact that there is an ice cream churn in PoK and that she can't use it. She has come across many ingredients (and even recipe books!) for ice cream, and yet she cannnot make a single one. She is gravely concerned that with summer fast approaching, this situation might constitute a dire issue of public health.
  2. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

What is this madness?
  3. NiNiK New Member

My apologies. Apparently #7 was truly neither last nor least, as I forgot #8! I suppose it is sort of an addendum to TOYS and/or GAMES, but for what it is worth:

8. ILLUSION MAGICKS. NiNiK was intrigued to learn that in the PoK that exists in parallel universes, there is a powerful illusionist named Bindral Argaff, who studies items imbued with illusion magic and is sometimes able to teach aspiring enchanters how to cast the illusions themselves! NiNiK herself is a Bristlebane cleric of mischief, so she wouldn't be able to learn such things, but she would dearly love to see an entire raid force in the new gnomework illusion. Especially if they were all dancing!

If anyone reads this, NiNiK and I sincerely thank you for your time and consideration.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  4. Ulfhedinn New Member

A fun read. I appreciate both the humor and seriousness of the thread. Nice job!