@Devs, please keep the Tutorial off Agnarr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Baulkin, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Baulkin Augur

Hi Team,

Please do not activate the Gloomdeep tutorial on Agnarr. With the server being locked at Planes of Power / LDON the quest armor in the zone would destabilize the server economy. The Newbie Armor and Weapon quests that are in the starting cities are more than powerful enough to trivialize the content without a tutorial zone with Tier 1 Planar gear. I understand the need for the gear in the post GOD era but for our locked sever it is not needed or wanted.

Thanks for your time.
    Prathun, snailish and Elskidor like this.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Why make it harder for new people to catch up to you once 90%+ of the population is sitting in Plane of Tranquility above level 60?

I never understand the mentality behind discouraging people trying to join a server late into the game.
    nostalgicfool and Drusi like this.
  3. Elskidor Augur

I wasn't even thinking about the gear, but really loathe the tutorial zone. I enjoy the fresh start in the home town feel however.
  4. MaxTheLion Augur

Well YOU can uncheck the tutorial box without pissing in another persons cereal.
    Drusi likes this.
  5. Karanthal Augur

I'm not a big fan of the tutorial. The zone itself and the quest lines are decent but the gear is too good. I never replaced most of it up to the mid 40s. Kind of kills the fun of hunting named mobs until the PoP zones. Kills the low end trades skills too, No more banded 1pp/ac with everyone in tutorial gear.
  6. Mrjon3s Augur

Already worried about something thats not gonna come out for another what 12+ months or so. The rich players will still buy the nice twink lowbie gear and this just gives new people starting out a chance to catch up a bit. Your rushing to a cliff that is LDoN the worst thing ever.
    nostalgicfool likes this.
  7. snailish Augur

The tutorial launched on Phinny during PoP with geared tuned well-past PoP. Considering a significant effort was put into setting the era of the "newbie" armor quests to PoP (rather than many being in for classic on Fippy/Vulak) it does make sense for something to be changed... simply for the fact of giving the newbie armor an era of usefulness.

This should be fixed for all progression, not just Agnarr.

The easiest fix is probably to just era set the tutorial to GoD.

Probably the next easiest fix is just make the tutorial drop the original not-so-good armor rather than the later revised stuff we saw on Phinny.

The alternative is make the newbie armor available in Velious (an expac without much low level content) so it has a few expacs of usefulness.

For Agnarr, I actually like option #1, as I don't think a server locked this early in progression really needs the tutorial as a lowbie leveling spot. I hold this as a mild opinion though. I really do want to see the armor adjusted though.
  8. Baulkin Augur

The tutorial zone was introduced in GoD. It's out of era.
  9. malaki Augur

Are people really buying banded during PoP+ anyways?
  10. Rauven Augur

No. And Banded/Fine Steel/Wu's sales have been dropping lately in favor of gear with stats on Agnarr and we're not even near Kunark yet.

Though with that said, I would like to see newbie armor quests be a thing. Those were fun to do back in the day and I don't really wish to see them replaced by a centralized 'starter tutorial' area. What I would do is either flag the newbie armor quests for Luclin, or Glooming Deep for GoD.
  11. smash Augur

Think they stabilize other people so they not dependent of people cashing money.
  12. Baulkin Augur

My gripe here is that during Planes of Power / LoY they pushed out the armor quests in all the newbie cities. This armor is as good as Sol Ro quest gear. Why do we need an out of era tutorial with Planar quality gear?
  13. nostalgicfool Augur

I fully agree it balance a bit between twink and new players, and only a bit since twinks will generally travel and level with a 65 druid on their side.

Temperance has a much stronger effect than tutorial gear, my 16 druid can tank red deepwater croc and do not take a scratch...

Since she is moderatly twinked (only gear in the 20-250pp) she uses only a few pieces from the tutorial, she does not use the club whose ratio is really bad and she has cheap legging from the bazard (the classical brown chitin i think) that are better than the tutorial leggings.

The mini sow item is quite awesome for classes without running speed buf. I m not sure of the speed on it but it probably allow people to run away if needed .
  14. Rhodz Augur

It's the gear.
    Gear in the tutorial is so good it almost worth waiting till PoP to even play.
    Things like the speed stick are unique to the tutorial that previous chars have no way of getting. A char I started on LJ was better geared at level 11 than another at 41 in many slots. Weapons while not all that damaging have stats out the rear end.
    Frankly I was surprised they opened that at PoP as the tutorial was not released originally until much later. Seriously this some great gear for the period.

Now on the flip side this condition encourages alts big time so it is debatable if it is a negative or positive. None of the gear is sellable and frankly by PoP most TS has bitten the bullet anyway and people kid themselves if they claim otherwise. So in or out wont really matter.
    Reiker99 and nostalgicfool like this.
  15. AgentofChange Augur

Tutorial had 0 impact on the phinigel economy. This thread is just dumb.
    JustACleric and MaxTheLion like this.
  16. Rhodz Augur

I have seen far worse lately.
  17. Baulkin Augur

The Phinigel economy is not analogous to the Agnarr economy. Phinigel will continue to have an influx of new items as it progresses through the expansions. Once Agnarr reaches Planes of Power it enters into a closed loop. You are comparing apples to oranges.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  18. Baulkin Augur

I'm addressing my concern early in that I know from experience that it can take 6 months for the devs to take action on things like this. Usually the improvements are moved onto the NEXT progression server.
  19. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the hometown newbie quests came in Luclin and the tutorial came in GoD. No reason they shouldn't be flagged appropriately on TLP.

And that was with the original gear with tutorial. No reason the new stuff should ever be available on Agnarr. These kinds of carryovers from revamped live content have always been problematic on progression servers going back to the originals. Thankfully, they seem reasonably committed to weeding it out, although it's usually years and between servers. Good on the OP bringing this up now.
    snailish likes this.
  20. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

That's been the pattern, yes. It's good this is being brought up now.

I mentioned to friends that I was considering coming back to phinny to try out a zerker when GoD drops. Was asking which of my toons from classic I should dust off to PL / duo with it and was told whatever I play if it's under 40 or 50 it's worth a reroll to get the tutorial gear. That's borked.