Denerfing the Rez AA for Mana Cost

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Gnomereaper, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Gnomereaper Augur

While there has been discussion about the nerf and this was done some time ago, but one of the major problems with the cleric class has been the tether to the Epic 1.0. With that time, there is often a rather pointed capacity with the mechanical interface to recover from raid wipes.

In recent years the rezzing ability has been farmed out to other classes, and while this has in part helped on the group end. The eternal tether to the Rez AA has merely moved the Epic 1.0 out of the bank and back into bags. The Rez AA's original intent was to replace the Epic 1.0 functionality, not as a substitute for a memorized spell slot.

Considering the paradigm shift with the resurrection effect mainly had to deal with the Epic 1.0 from the Kunark Era, and at this point has become a staple of the class functionality. There is very little reason to continue having the mana cost nerf remain in place. Since the balance of the rez AA ability is perpendicular to the Epic 1.0.

1. Raid recovery requires 0 mana rez, this is a state based effect for human centered design rather than game balance. The balance for rez utility is not the same as combat ability utility, and therefore unique in it's own manner.

2. Clerics already have Epic 1.0 as such the paradigm shift occurred before Shadows of Luclin was released with AA's and many years before AA's. So the AA did not introduce any "new changes" to a class that was already tethered to the 1.0 structure.

3. Nerfing an AA that was meant to replace Epic 1.0 destroys the original spirit and intent of the AA.

Thank you, and what are your thoughts?
    Gundolin likes this.
  2. Gnomereaper Augur

There was in the past also talk about:

1. A mass "AE Rez" ability similar to Mass TL, but either mechanically could not get to work or was seen as too powerful.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You mean this spell and the 4 others like it? Mana cost is pretty serious, and you have to be out of combat to use it. But it's still a useful tool at times.
  4. Raccoo Augur

Wouldn't it be better to use Staff of Forbidden Rites as a cleric, instead of using the 1.0? If I recall, the casting time on 1.0 is hideous.
  5. Chaosflux Augur

Yes it would be smart to do that.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  6. Tour Augur

The mana cost on the AA rez is so inconsequential it's a nerf only in the academic sense. It's just so small that it has no impact either in raids or out, win or wipe.
    Cicelee, Sindaiann and Brohg like this.
  7. Gialana Augur

From the information on Allakhazam, I can't tell if the 1.0 has a recast. It has a 10-second cast. The Staff of Forbidden Rites is listed with a 1-second cast and 30-second recast. So if the 1.0 doesn't have a recast, and you're able to cast it without interruption, and you need to resurrect more than 1 person, the 1.0 be better. Or you could alternate between the two, perhaps.
  8. Shadva Del`Shai Augur

The 1.0 has no recast and I've actually put it back in my bag for those times when I've been flattened multiple times, have no mana tricks left and want to feel at least slightly useful.
    Annastasya likes this.