Defiant vendors in PoK

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Lily Augur

I wanted to buy the ornate defiant non visibles on a level 29 toon, but I can't see them on the NPC. Ornate is required level 26, recommended 40. I have "Show only items I can use" clicked off, and I can see lower level defiant gear, both usable and not usable by my toon. I switched to a higher level toon, and there they are. I tried buying the set on the higher toon, but it turns out it's all no trade. Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to see the items? If I'm not high enough, why even have a required level 14 levels below the recommended one?
  2. Laronk Augur

the honest truth is this stuff isn't worth getting since leveling is so fast but I think you need to be at the required level to see it on this merchant. The higher level stuff isn't even worth getting because its so expensive.
  3. Agrippa Augur

Defiant broke the low to mid level game, but they also screwed up on all of the defiant levels. The merchants don't show level appropriate defiant until one is long past those levels. The same goes with the hotzone tasks rewarding the wrong level of defiant. Even Mayong, the 51/50 server, gave new characters there the wrong set of defiant.
  4. Drewie Augur

5. Agrippa Augur

You'll be able to finally see ornate defiant on the venders when the character is well into the flawed defiant levels. Needless to say, you won't be able to see flawed defiant then, but will when well into intricate levels. And so on.
  6. Thash Zoner

You'll see it on the vendor when you reach the recommended level, not the required one.
  7. Lily Augur

Does that even make sense? It's not like these items drop in game. The only way to get them is from the vendor, so why make the requirement lower than the level you can buy them?
  8. Iila Augur

Welcome to Everquest, where the rules are made up and the betas don't matter.
    Caell likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You can see them 5 levels below recommended level. Tested with alts and verified. So if it's 29 required and 40 recommended, you can buy them at 35. Been this way for at least 7 or 8 years.

And, yes, since this is the ONLY source for these items, the "required" level is when they let you buy, not what's listed on the item :)

A better alternative is the crafted "compartmented trio" items. You can use gems up to the Underfoot diamonds on any level char (adds up to 485 HPs with pear cut), along with round cut opals and emeralds. The settings are made from various metals, and have level requirements:

Silver - no level required
    Gold - 25
    Plat - 40
    Velium - 55
    etc.

When you're ready for the next setting, you can pop out the augs and re-use them (augs are now NO DROP). The setting is still tradable, so can be passed down to other alts.

Tat
    Thash likes this.
  10. Laronk Augur

well it is tradeable on FV =)
  11. Poppinfresh Elder

Hero's Journey tasks in Stone Hive give equivalents to several pieces of ornate defiant. Off the top of my head, the achievement rewards include a pair of rings, a pair of earrings, gloves, and a bracer. You have to be level 35 to do those tasks, and most of them should be moloable by then. Most players would probably say why bother, but strictly speaking the PoK defiant vendor isn't the only source.
  12. Agrippa Augur

Those tasks, like the hotzone tasks, are also giving the wrong levels of defiant. Characters are typically well into the levels of the next rank of defiant, but the tasks reward with ranks they're long past.
  13. svann Augur

You wont use them to completely outfit yourself, but if you are leveling quickly you often will have several slots that are lagging way behind in gear level. So its still worth buying sometimes, if you have the cash.
  14. Lily Augur

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.
  15. Laronk Augur

Oh I think the Hero's journey stuff is great and the tasks are great they give you somewhere to go and a task to do so it feels less like a grind.

I think the defiant vendor is a ripoff though since you could level to 65 with just a rusty dagger and a merc.
  16. Risiko Augur

It's like nobody cares anymore at DBG.
    Iila and Geri_Petrovna like this.
  17. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I do hero's journey when I am bored, but if you are looking to just level up there is no purpose. Just too many quests. As others have said by time your done the mobs are LB or green already. Defiant ends up being the best set anyways until you get paragon.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

At 67 and still have a short sword I got with the toon :D