Dear DPG

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dizzadar, Feb 21, 2022.

1. dizzadar Lorekeeper

You guys can add all these lovely things like 64 bits and new expansions and new pay 2 win passes to give benefits to those who pay for them but for some unknown reason you cannot provide a gaming experience devoid of lag. I think maybe you should stop with this random stuff and fix the freakin lag so we can enjoy the game better please thanks
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Amen brother!
    Joules_Bianchi and Duder like this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I suspect the 64-bit upgrade is a preliminary or prerequisite step to "fixing lag."

I am not a computer science or information technology person but I believe some have mentioned that there are potential under-the-hood fixes for lag with the 64-bit conversion.

Maybe someone with the relevant experience in the field can brief us on the options with 64-bit.

Someone on another forum wrote:

Raid zone performance is on the EQ roadmap for the year:

4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

All devs should stop doing work until the coders can determine and fix the cause of the lag? Plenty on the team won't be able to do much to find and fix the lag problems.
  5. Duder Augur

Yes, actually, because the work they do currently is in vain and only furthers to destroy our patience with this game. Don't downplay the developers' capability. Simply instructing them to stop making new content would be good enough to contribute to fixing the problem. Beyond that, I am sure they could fit into the project somewhere. Not everyone involved in building skyscrapers can design them but everyone involved can contribute in some manner to it's construction. If there was absolutely no way to integrate them into the project they could have them work on the endless list of bugs that have been present for years.

So yes, I support and would applaud a full-stop on new content until they fix the problems. The functionality of this game reaches a new milestone low every single day that passes.
  6. Sancus Augur

While this is certainly true, I am really disappointed in the lack of changes on the (systems) design side to reduce the number of hits/procs occurring in instances. This was mentioned as a priority by Aristo a year ago:
    Not a single change has been made to procs since that post. Instead, the systems team pushed out old world hunter achievements, an overseer expansion, and a level cap increase. Ganzito (AA dev) does achievements and overseer, and Aristo and Ganzito both worked on the level cap increase. I'm not sure what else Aristo spent his year on, but clearly it was something other than reducing the number of spells cast.

EQ is a business, and there are obviously multiple priorities that have to be considered. However, I think it's a completely fair criticism that the apparent priorities of systems design haven't aligned with how some number of players (myself included) think those resources ought to be allocated. Lag is not just a code issue.
    Maedhros, Hobitses, Vumad and 4 others like this.
  7. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I wonder how much the script loading for the raids effects lag. I know WoW had some recent raids where the event had excessive scripting leading to a laggy event (Sylvanas).
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Sancus, do you think it is possible for the 64-bit upgrade to help with procs and swarm pets (calculations) lag?

I am wondering if they are keeping the current system (with its flavor) in the hopes that 64-bit can increase capabilities (deeper processing power).
    minimind likes this.
  9. Qimble Augur

And then ~50% of player quit the game, because they are not willing to go way over a year without new content. Better design would be to make simpler events or find ways to work around the problems until they can be addressed. Less "hordes of mobs spawn and path around and if they touch you then you're probably dead" or "boss HP locks until adds are dead" since both of those are current mechanics that are *extremely* vulnerable to script and/or NPC pathing lag making the fights practically unwinnable.

Make a boss the eats all swarm pets but is extra vulnerable to specific mage nukes to make up for it. Don't require moving or pulling NPCs in the middle of an event, rubber banding and pathing errors will cause serious problems. I do not miss having to send the raid to kill the adds in crusaders because they refused to go more than half way from the entry hall to one of the southern dragons areas. Working within the confines of what they know they can do to build events that lag less is a step in the right direction. It's unfortunate that the most interesting events also tend to be the ones that get extremely difficult or impossible when they're lagging badly.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Coagagin like this.
  10. dizzadar Lorekeeper

i dont care what they do but lag should be the number 1 priority i returned to this game 3 years ago after a very long break and the lag has not gotten any better in 3 years that is unacceptable this is a paid service that currently can sometimes border on unplayable because of lag
    Fenthen likes this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

There are some ways the playerbase can alleviate the lag. For example when raiding, you can log out the passive alts. It is quick to log back in from character select, if you suddenly need them again.

I know it is not a proper solution, but it might help until they fix the problem. Im sure DBG is working on it.
    Wdor and Coagagin like this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Paying them to do nothing is so much better for the health of the game? There is no reason to stop new content which would also impact revenue in order to fix the lag problem. You are correct we need more of a focus on fixing the lag but it is not an easy problem to fix or it would be done by now.
    Coagagin likes this.
  13. Faradey New Member

I dont have any lag,s and i play since 1999 (from germany and with a small connection).

Many have a "not ideal" config PC/Network connection or own UI,s :rolleyes: who can massive slow down the client ( i work in this business and see alot shity PC,s and or wrong configs/networks/UI,s in this time --> "30 years"). BTW: if you buy a PC for 2000$, it dont say that this PC will run fast for ANY application (if you have a slow connection etc. or a virus as example)

I use the standart UI and dont have any problems (raids or not) and for me is the priority more Number 10 (and i pay for the game)

PS: This is the Veteran Lounge not the Player Support ;) (to many player scam here technical, login and account problem,s)

PPS: My 50c :D
    Evye, Wdor, Coagagin and 1 other person like this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are right in there is more they could be doing to help reduce the lag on the system but I fail to see how stopping new development and have developers sit around with nothing to do will solve the problem.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It has probably been suggested before but...

What about "consolidating procs", where all the proc-values just adds up to a single "proc-stat", instead of the many individual procs we have now, just fire one big proc instead of 6 small procs? Proc-rate would probably need an adjustment too, but it could have a positive impact on lag.

It would also reduce combat-spam, it is kinda silly that I need a thirdparty parser just to see how much damage a single nuke does...:oops:
    Wdor and minimind like this.
  16. Tucoh Augur

Delete 80% of proc effects and swarm pets, then rebalance the classes using the many tools and abilities remaining.
    minimind likes this.
  17. Warpeace Augur

Might be better if they fold the proc damage into a class ability and remove all this proc junk (ok well most of it). At one point it looked and sounded cool but not its just noise and clutter.
  18. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Aside from Waring specifically, because he gets it, most of you have absolutely zero idea WHY the change to 64-bit was made. And it had nothing to do with being a stepping stone to future fixes or additions. It had 500% to do with the fact that Microsoft had sunsetted support for both 32-bit Windows clients, and Dx10. Nothing else.
  19. Sancus Augur

Rather than adding my conjectures, from klanderso (in EQ Discord):
    klanderso — 02/15/2022
    theoretically it [64-bit] should help with memory issues. it may help with raid lag, but i'm not super sure since we can't really test it internally

It's possible the change to 64-bit opens up options for addressing lag in the future that weren't previously available. I don't think there was an expectation at Daybreak that the conversion in itself would significantly help lag (see above), and there's not clear evidence at this point that it did. A lot of guilds had smooth raids patch day (2/15), but Sunday was as laggy as ever for us.

What it comes down to for me is that they've consistently indicated that fixing lag on the code side is an extremely difficult endeavor. At the same time, there are a lot of changes that could be made on the systems design side that would have a small impact on gameplay that would materially reduce the number of calculations occurring in raid instances. Not making those design changes that are clearly identifiable/tangible in hopes of a nebulous code panacea makes very little sense to me.
    This really ought to happen in some form. There have been a number of similarly minded suggestions, and I agree that the benefits extend beyond just reducing lag.
  20. Sup Rog Elder

So there are no other benefits to being 64bit, like more memory access etc lol? Just being compliant with MS? Come on what are you talking about.