DBG - please listen to us.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by beefeater_dp, Mar 4, 2018.

1. beefeater_dp Journeyman

A FV Ruleset TLP has been requested time and time again (not just for Corinav, but for many years prior). Why create a phinny clone, when you have the ability to use the same successful recipe, with a twist? Why not make this server unique?

Let's go for a stroll down memory lane...
    For years Instancing was brought up as something that the community wanted badly. The community repeatedly said it would solve the content blocking and time sink issues that prevented us from coming back to play the game.

We were told there was not much interest, it would be difficult to implement, and it was written off year after year. There were also a few loud critics that probably hindered the implementation of instancing.

But regardless, look at Phinigel now. Look at Agnarr. Both still going strong due to instancing, the feature the community requested. The point? A lot of people asked for this, and when it was finally implemented, the servers were wildly successful.

We are asking you again - please add FV loot rules to Corinav. Most of your target market is older now. We have money to buy krono. We don't always have time to make every raid. Let us buy more krono from you to buy the gear-slots that we aren't able to use our DKP on.

This is really a win-win for you and us both. I strongly believe this will be the most successful TLP to date if this ruleset is added to Corinav.
  2. Vicus Augur

I missed phinny launch due to injury. I really want corninav to stay how it is. There is no "Us" in your thread. I see a a few people opening the same topic 10 times a day. It's to risky for daybreak to make that server without lots of prep. Customer service support will have to double. Also for the few vocal minority that spam about adding a fv server, there would be triple the backlash from everyone who have been planning to play a phinny clone just to be tricked 10 days out.
    Oakenblade and Dragon Jockey like this.
  3. snailish Augur

Those in favor of FV loot have not focused on one thread to show there is heavy interest in this (think back to the outcry around OoW bundled with GoD on progression, that was pages and pages --and not just the same 4 people posting.) Numerous restarts of the same topic doesn't win the day.

There is clearly some interest in this (FV loot).

Anecdotally, maybe it is more interest than there is for PVP, racing unlocks, or any of the other variations that live in numerous threads. But is that interest concentrated enough to convince Daybreak that this is the time? Not sure on that.
    eepok likes this.
  4. NitroNic New Member

That specifically paints a picture of a game I don’t want to play. I want gear to not be easily traded for krono and RMT.
    Chatoyan and Dragon Jockey like this.
  5. Erysseil New Member

You say words like the very few and minority, I think you are completely lost in your own world dude. There are over 500 people at a minimum that want FV rules, and have wanted them for years on a TLP so stop trying to falsely claim that there are only a small amount that want it.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Then you don't want any server in Everquest. Because on Phini, Agnarr and everything in between, gear is easily traded for krono.
    Chatoyan likes this.
  7. Vicus Augur

Because I am being realistic. I have no personal gain in a FV server happening or not happening. I am looking at it from a business standpoint. You say 500 people. EVEN if it was 600-700 people that is NOT enough to justify from a customer service standpoint the amount of work that would be needed to support one of the most demanding servers created. *Legends server still tops*. Right now on Phinny the general chat is almost always capped at 400 people. That means there are 1000+ people that play on those servers. Those who can log in every minute of the day to those who can only log in on weekends or every other weekend. Agnarr is the same way. That is already a lot of work for DBG to get through. Heck there have been two xpac delays with Luclin and POP on phinny and POR is currently not instanced on Phinny, which is going to cause so many outcry's here soon until it is. Now you want to throw in a demanding FV server into the mix? I wouldn't do it unless it made so much financial sense.

DBG isn't Blizzard/activision. Where one burnt out employee leaving can be replaced fast. You get a few employees who just are burnt out leave, your 6-8 months per expansion timeline turns into 1-2 years. That effects everyone and is much bigger then "I want my FV server now" Most older games haven't even touched a classic server or are only starting to discuss dropping them *Aion/WoW/Rift*. EQ has dropped 7 of them. This FV thing is a prime example of you never can make everyone happy.
  8. Hateseeker Augur

I don't play on Phinny so I was about to ask you, isn't PoR a naturally instanced expansion? Then I realized it's because of all the open world things you have to kill to unlock raids.

Isn't it amazing that TLP has SO many players that you have to instance a few odd open world mobs in an otherwise already instanced expansion?
  9. Vicus Augur

Yeah the TLP servers have extended the life of EQ that's for sure but I don't think it is the amount of players as how much the players scream and cry now when things are "hard" 1998-2007 the devs would of told people complaining of the time it took to get their epics/being able to kill raid progression/open world loot to go pound sand because that was the intent of the game. Had to earn things. Now the intent of TLP is for everyone to get the feel of how EQ use to be, except it is maybe 20% like original EQ.
  10. taliefer Augur

got a source for those 500 people?
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  11. Hateseeker Augur

Well, it's also being rehashed for the 500th time for many people. Making everyone re-do it the slow way isn't going to help. But it's also true that unlike the first time around when many players were completely casual or family guild players, most of the players coming back are actually quite knowledgeable of the game and are looking to be a lot more aggressive. There are still players on TLP that are casual compared to other players on TLP, but without instancing it would a huge mess of indirect PVP. As was proven beyond all doubt by previous generations of TLP.
  12. Kahna Augur

Why would a free trade server be any more demanding than a regular server? They obviously have a "free trade" switch they can flip. Quarm didn't seem overly complicated for them to start up. FV and Brekt don't seem to cause an overwhelming CS demand. I am not seeing the extra CS demand comes from?

If you mean from obnoxious people petitioning others for "KSing", that is already going to happen on Coirnav, free trade or no.
  13. Vicus Augur

Well that is the thing. First no one has actually set the type of FV rules they want. Do they want the full roleplay FV original rules? Is it only about free trade? There is a list of rules that no one can agree on. I know in peoples minds it's "easy" to just turn on a switch but people are DUMB. CS is around to answer 80% dumb questions and then 15% legit ones and 5% of people who are just trying to get over on the system. CS will get questions that will literally say I thought this was a FV server but this guy is named ILIKEBIGBUTTS and that should be against the FV rules ..to CS support increased for saying "I ordered 4 Krono but they never appeared, Why don't I have them" Three hours later when they get them they will respond "NM I got the Krono" There is always the I paid this guy on his main and he said he was going to switch to his alt with the item but he never came back. That would spike a ton. It's endless. But CS is required to read all replies/responses. A FV server would bring so many new problems that it would be a headache. Don't believe me, go invent something simple that would seem elementary to everyone how to use and see that you get flooded with dumb question after dumb question.
  14. Hateseeker Augur

When people say FV rules I am convinced at least 99% of people using the term are referring solely to tradeable loot. But people can speak for themselves if they're reading this thread, and let us know.

And Daybreak has shown with the last couple of generations of TLP that they're willing to cut in-game CS to the bone, so I don't think that's too much of a concern on their end. And even if they do technically have to respond, I suspect they've become quite efficient at letting people know they can't provide assistance.
  15. Vicus Augur

Doing that turns the forums into nothing but negative post after post *which is pretty common now*. This takes away from the hard work they try to do to make the game enjoyable to many. This creates less new players or old returning vets. It's a catch 22. Have a server where people post all the time saying the Devs/Support is lazy and non-existent or have post with people asking for a PVP or FV server all the time. But you can't make everyone happy. Just a year ago people were like DBG never listens and doesnt give us what we want. We want a POP locked server. They give it and now it's DBG never listens and never gives us what we want. We want a FV or PVP server. After they give those servers its going to be DBG never listens and gives us what we want. We want a PVP POPlocked FV server rules..blah ..blah..blah.

If I was in DBG shoes I would do what they seem to be doing. What is going to make the most money with least amount of work. Doesn't make them lazy ...it is smart.
  16. Hateseeker Augur

I look at it the other way, and this is a TLP point of view, not Live, because Live still gets new expansions. TLP is a cycle of rehashes. The game doesn't really change. Wizards still get Ice Comet at high level, Clerics still get Complete Heal, warriors tank, and everyone knows where Nagafen spawns. You may think it's a never ending cycle of more more more, but to me, if they were not doing those things to keep the TLP game fresh, not enough people would come back to support keeping TLP starts going.
  17. Vicus Augur

At some point there is no way to keep the game fresh. EQ is passed those days. PVP would be something that may make it fresh but keeping classes balanced is a nightmare. There are to many downsides to just adding new servers to keep things fresh. Vulak and Fippy kept the game fresh...then both servers lost all their players after a few years...and they merged. The merge kept the server alive for maybe 5-6 more months *I was there*. Then once the top two guilds stopped competing because of the TLP servers Fippy died (Well because TLP was announced and because one guild bent the rules a little and the other guild lost motivation after that). Now it is a stuck server, never to catch up to live unless the Devs step in or some guild gets bored and moves to Fippy. These TLP will fall into those trends over the next year or two. They will have to merge or become ghost towns IF you keep making new servers to spread your player base around on. Sometimes it's just better to leave a good thing alone. The servers are active and have content players/guild making good progress. I honestly don't think a Corn server is needed but personally it benefits me so I'm glad. But I wouldn't of opened one if I was in charge. Heck there are multiple guilds on the test servers testing the new POR xpac before it goes live, that is a good sign of an active player base.

Sometimes you need to stop squeezing for as much juice as possible and enjoy the drink.
  18. Kahna Augur

Considering the name Ilikebigbutts is petitionable on all servers, and would be a valid petition, I still don't see the problem. Any server is going to bring about a million stupid petitions. Free trade (which is what they call it on Brekt) wouldn't be that much more of a problem. Beyond Free Trade FV doesn't really have that many rules left, I think language is the only other rule that has still stuck around. Pretty sure DBGs is smart enough to figure out that no one is rallying around the removal of common tongue.
    Hateseeker likes this.
  19. Hateseeker Augur

To bring back PvP it would need to be true box, with manual GM review for 3rd party programs, and extremely fast xp gain. Balancing classes would not happen; players just need to know that casters gank melees, choose your class accordingly. Provided those were in place I know I'd give it a try.

Why those things? Because, consider all the indirect PvP (i.e. content blocking via socking,. DPS racing, zerging, etc) that has occurred on TLP by players who want to be much more aggressive about completing and blocking content this time, and think about all the aggressive PVP that would take place on an actual PvP server. There would almost certainly be guilds looking to corpse camp people until their corpse rots, which wasn't even that common even for Darkenbane, Lucid Vision and others back on Rallos back in the day. So you'd need faster exp gain to make up for all the time you won't be PvEing due to fleeing gank squads, and you need truebox with manual GM review to prevent individual players running 12 wizard input cloned gank squads.