Current State of Charm Pets

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Zinne, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Haegar Augur

Have yet to see a dual wield thing in RoF.

But thats not my issue. I was actually impressed when i charmed in SL and had a lvl 94 bug hit for 8k.
    Now i am done with SL and find other zones - lacking.
    Gelreths mudhole does not have a single charmable thing below lvl 98.
    Eastern wastes is just a waste - even lvl 97 things hit for 6k max. Bug or sucking as intended ?
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Not having access to charmable mobs is one of the many reasons to level up. You don't need a dev to turn the game on its ear for that, do you? The 97 charm gives access to dual-wield pets.

Let's be honest, at 95+, a dual-wielding charmed pet is hardly more trouble than a regular charm pet. I don't see how you can justify the 50-100% increase in damage for such a small increase in risk. If the numbers parse like I expect them to, an enchanter doing DPS with nukes and DoTs and a charm pet will keep up DPS-wise with a DPS class, and a dual-wield pet alone will do the same. Is that what you expect of an enchanter? Should enchanters have the ability to out-DPS the DPS classes?

At this point, we need some parses of different enchanter pets, both dual and single, and compare them to the DPS classes. But I expect that rather than getting more DW pets, you're more likely to be greeted by a whack with the nerf bat.
  3. Silv Augur

I'm sorry, what mobs does the Lv. 97 charm give access to which dual-wield? In ROF? No one in this thread has complained about the lack of charmable mobs based on level. You made this claim earlier that there are in fact DW mobs but no one else seems to have found them or for some reason they are being kept a secret.

I had almost every mob charmed with Enforce dual-wield in other content; so no, the game doesn't need to be turned on it's head. Charm in ROF needs to be checked out.

The majority of the time where Ench DPS would occur is in a group setting. Allowing us to have that gives incentive for an Ench to get a group spot. I'm also pretty sure a DPS class maintains their DPS at any camp in a zone whereas an Ench can move to a new spot and have nothing to charm.

They aren't going to go back and nerf dual-wield in older content and it doesn't occur in ROF (or not very often?) so there is nothing to nerf.
  4. silku Augur

I'm not sure it's a secret, we've been talking about the few dual wielders that have been found in the enchanter channel. The pigs in grelleth (scouts) dual wield, but do less damage than the mobs in SS two expansions ago.
  5. Silv Augur

Apologies then. I was not aware some were dual wielding at all.

Still stands though- if the DPS of ROF mobs, even dual wielders, is so subpar compared to the past I really don't see how they could nerf it. They've mitigated the base damage since forever, they've limited dual wield (intentional or not), and flag many trash mobs uncharmable (although not as big of an issue, just annoying).

I would be very impressed on what else they could come up with. Just seem silly to improve our charm spells significantly and provide AA/auras for charming, then slowly reduce the effectiveness of charm.
  6. silku Augur

pigs are all I've run into so far. I'm going to explore Chapterhouse, I imagine with all the undead skellie models int here I'd be surprised if there were no dual wielding. Problem is the place is so packed that you can't really keep a charmed pet unless you want to clear from one spot to another all night longer. No real 'camps' unless you camp the zone in or one of the quest rooms.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

I wouldn't expect the skellies to dual wield; all the ones I've fought so far are paladin and cleric mobs. Lots of other mob types there, though.
  8. Haegar Augur

Maybe we should also notice, that dmg output decreased a lot in RoF.
    Things can´t compare to VoA and thus i am not surprised that charm pets can´t hit as hard anymore.
  9. Tweelis Augur

So I was hanging out with a friend last week while working on a task. His charmed pet were all doing around 8.5k-9k dps with no buffs. A few times they would spike up to 10k while other times the dps would drop to 6k dps. These were blighted prowlers and clickshell pests. Charm did break now and then but he was on the ball. He did die a couple of times while were hanging out but he has no ranks of CA/CS/ND and barely at 60k HP buffed up.

Not sure if this helps but these are simply the numbers I saw.
  10. Haegar Augur

Aye, SL bugs do rather good DPS wise. It´s the other zones that got issues.
    Btw, bugs in SL backstab for 27k, so be sure to watch positioning.