Curios: Would you buy a "Graphic Update Pack"?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Llyweilun, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Llyweilun Journeyman

Hi all,

the thought just came to me ( i know - rare Moment indeed) .

Would you buy a game package/Expansion/update that moves the whole of EQ (yes even the old zones) into a new graphic Phase? Maybe DX 9 or similar.

Me personally - i can answer with a clear yes. The old zones have aged... significantly. And i would love to see a graphic overhaul and more modern Engine . I think it would pave the way for new and creative Content Options.

I know it is Fantasy but still ...
  2. Kutsuu Augur

Doesn't seem realistic. I can't trust that the game would still be playable honestly.
    Tatanka and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

No.

I might fund a kickstarter for them to bring back the original freeport, commonlands, nektulos etc zones though.
    Rhaage, kizant, Andarriel and 3 others like this.
  4. jiri_ Augur

Possibly. I would also probably pay a few dollars for a pack that just replaced the Luclin era attack and sitting animations with classic ones. Every time you swing with your offhand it looks like it bounces, and apparently we're all posing badly as Japanese.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

yes!
    Mainly because a graphic "hd-update" would attract new costumers, fancy graphics is useful when making effective advertising(and release some trailers!!!). You don't attract true new costumers by "milking nostalgia", not in mmos atleast.

The newer zones are ok graphically imo(except the half- copy-job from Velious in RoF), but everything "pre-Omens", could use a serious makeover. :), just make the art-style consistent...

Btw, the current 3d-render is already dx9(it uses shader model 2.0(or 3.0) i think), those post-processing effects like bloom and HDR-coloring. are more or less associated with the dx9-generation of renders. The shadowing algorithm is kinda archaic though...
    Koveras and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  6. Dre. Altoholic

A lot of the old graphics look better than newer graphics. Good artwork trumps underutilized tech and tools. Great example by jiri above with the classic model animations. I definitely prefer the original spell graphics also.

I'd like to see better control over particles. Specifically I want to turn off auras, nimbus, smoke and fog effects without losing weapon particles.

It would also be fantastic if I could do some spell effect customization e.g. if I don't like the graphic on a spell/proc I can change it.

When we went to dx9 one of the biggest impacts was hit detection. You could previously slide off of a lot of items and pass through minor obstructions. In comparison, today's EQ world seems to be made of velcro and crazy glue.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Reht The Dude abides...

No, not at all, i really have no issue with the graphics, my issues are with everything else: content, bugs, balance, etc.
  8. moogs Augur

Would it be cool? Sure, I guess. But when zones are overhauled, players get upset (The Bazaar, I'm looking in your direction). This would likely break many things in unexpected ways. Never mind months/years of dedicated artists' time. We're talking about hundreds of zone files, NPC meshes and animations, relighting and all the other fun time-consuming stuff that is involved.
  9. Endless Augur

10. Duhbeast Augur

If a graphic dev. happens to be hovering over this forum, could you possibly look into the spell effects of the beastlord's Maelstrom type nuke? It has a huge fire effect, even when all the effects are turned down low, that spell is still a huge blaze. It has ice, poison, disease, and a random proc of one of the 3 for a 4th nuke built into one, but there is no fire in that spell.
  11. Kravitz Augur

I certainly would if they brought it up to modern times, because this is one thing that has needed correcting for over 15 years. Correcting the graphics would attract "new players' (i.e. not returning players) thereby increasing the player population for the long term sustainability of the game, where returning players flake out (myself being one of those).

Will it happen? Never.

It's Daybreak we are talking about here - they've never been interested in real solutions or investing resources in EQ1, instead they'd rather funnel the money to some other project and get band-aid fixes like Hero's Forge armor.

Imagine if all 20 inventory slots were made visable with graphics, how much of an impact that would have on their Marketplace by selling costumes/ornaments for all those visible slots. A much better solution than the junk Hero's Forge, which I think look fugly.
  12. Cicelee Augur

No. Only thing I would buy is the letter "u"...
    Perplexed likes this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Updating the whole game would be a bit expensive wouldn't it? If it was a well done update I would pay for it but I don't see the majority of players doing it.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A graphic update like that sounds like it would need to be made to everyone even those who don't buy the expansion due to its nature.
  15. Critts Augur

It would be a good option for the game, but surely not worth the effort. New graphics in my opinion wouldn't attract new players mostly due to the fact that newer mmos have very different play styles. If someone wants a game that looks really good they want the bells and whistles as well. Games comeing out now are about activaly dodging attacks and good hit detection in combat. Everquest is very far away from that being a possibility. That being said a new Everquest game could do well (/shudders at the thought of EQ Next) the best thing EQ can do is cater to the Retro gaming crowd and be the game people look to for that kind of play style and graphics. Much better that the content be created thoughtful and working correctly.
  16. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I want to say yes. The artists and animators for EQ do a great job with this old game - with how much of a pain it is to get this game running well on new OS or with new hardware I have to say no. The better your machine is, the more it crashes or hangs when zoning.
  17. Millianna Augur

It is already in the works. The update is called "Pantheon," and should hopefully be out next year...
  18. Vdidar Augur

I hope so very much that it is!
  19. Critts Augur

Who is developing this?
  20. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It's Brad McQuaid's new baby.
    Critts likes this.