Not A Bug Crystallized Precious Velium Ore

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Cloud the Third, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

Is this drop bugged? I have seen a total of 4 drop since ToV was released but killed probably like 300 named. I have not seen a single one drop since the last patch.

Currently right now besides the bugged collection drops this is probably the hardest drop to get in the game (yea I know the zonewide random drops are rare too but those are all dropable and I have seen 3 of those).

Does it make since for the Diamondized Previous Velium Ore is more common than the group version? I normally see 2-3 drop everytime I have cleared the wurms and a few tizmaks and it only takes 1 group geared party to clear them pretty easy.

The drop rate needs to be increased or something for the group version of this ore because I could get a ton of the raid version so much faster and easier.
    Sancus likes this.
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

I have 21; I got 2 of them yesterday. I can't use any of them, either, since it will be a while until I can finish paragon ><
  3. Sancus Augur

It is dropping, it's just really rare. We had one drop yesterday, which was our first since the patch over approximately 100 named. It was the first I won; I've seen six drop since expansion launch.

It seems to be around a 2 to 2.5% drop rate based on the data I have, assuming the drop rate is the same for all named. Since expansion launch I have killed approximately 300 named as well, and seen 6 drop (6 / 300 = 2%). I also took all of the drop info from Magelo on every named and put it into a spreadsheet here. Individual named lack enough data to be accurate, but over 1266 loot occurrences Magelo recorded 31 dropped ores, which is a 2.45% drop rate and lines up with my observations.

So not bugged, but I really do not enjoy the design of these drops. I posted this in another thread (math there was with a 2% drop rate), but if you assume a 2.5% drop rate and the stated average of a named every 72 minutes, that's an average of 48 hours per drop camping one named. Groups can camp more than one, but groups of actual players will need to divide the drops by up to six people. If you assume you're camping two named and rolling against six people, that's 144 hours per ore on average. It's very easy to get unlucky with named spawn rates, drop rates, or rolls, and take twice that time or longer. Then there's also a chance to fail the combine and lose the ore.

It feels wrong to me that I got my first Precious Ore at 60% into the 7th earring while making an effort to XP in areas with named. Having such a large average time investment then be subject to so much RNG just makes people want to give up with the system. Also, I'm totally happy if people box, but it feels wrong how much worse off you are with this system if you divide the loot between multiple real players. I often feel like I'd be much better off boxing and funneling the loot to my main, and I don't think that incentive should exist. I know that's kind of a general thing for loot, but the incentive is much higher when you're talking about hundreds of hours on average to get a drop in a real group.

Ngreth mentioned adding the drops to mission chests, which I hope to see. Even then, though, I wish there was some sort of alternate acquisition method that wasn't so subject to RNG. Mission currency would be an option, awarding one for completing Hunter would be another, or a quest that works in any ToV zone and counts named kills and guarantees an ore after 100 or something. I get RNG is a part of EQ, but the RNG on these drops are extreme and really disheartening.
    Szilent, Zaray, Axxius and 2 others like this.
  4. Kuaamil Elder

I didn't see any between the January patch and today, and today I got 3 in a row. They still drop! RNG is just as fun as always.
  5. Lubianx Augur

I lost one on a roll 2 days ago to someone who doesn't do tradeskills and isn't doing the earring quest.
    So it still drops.
  6. kizant Augur

I somehow got 3 in the last 2 days. So inconsistent.
    Ravanta Suffer likes this.
  7. svann Augur

Got one today.
    :)