Critical Hits and Free Accounts

Discussion in 'Casters' started by daknife56, Dec 13, 2013.

1. daknife56 Journeyman

My brother and I have wizards of very comparable levels, equipment, and AA's and he can generate critical hits with his dd spells that are in the range of 60K while mine are maxing out at about 30K. Also, my crits for my L84 Wiz have not increased for about 4 levels even though I've been buying the destructive Fury AA's, etc. I've studied these characters for a long time and can't find any reason for the difference in damage generated. The only thing I can come up with is that he is on a Gold account and I'm on Silver. Will this make a difference to critical hits?
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Unless you paid SC to unlock Rank II, your spells cast as Rank I while he may have Rank II or III. Presuming you have the same AAs, that's the only difference I can think of between Gold and not. That doesn't explain a doubling like that though. You say you're of comparable levels, but unless you're the same level, it's not necessarily comparable as he may have spells, and gear that you don't have access to.

He may also have raid gear that provides more powerful foci, whereas, if you're missing the focus for the spell you're using, that could help explain the disparity.

The other difference would be that most augmentations are Prestige which a non-gold account can't use. If you had prestige gear on that was doing nothing for you because it's disabled, that would also help explain the difference.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Do this:

1) Use exact same spells.
    2) Use exact same rank of Destructive Fury AA.
    3) Get as close as possible to the same amount of Spell Damage on worn gear.
    4) Use exact same type 3 augments.
    5) Remove all Worn damage focus effects, (chest, arms, helm, hands), buffs, and do not debuff the mob.

Your damage should be the same, and it should be consistent every time as the only times you get variable hits is when you use variable focus effects, or if you get partial resists.

If you still have inconsistent critical hits, post again with the above information, as well as the exact amount of damage the spells are hitting for, crit AND non-crit.
  4. daknife56 Journeyman

Thanks for the replies. I see where your comments are coming from but it will be impossible for me to have the same number of Desructive Fury AAs as him since he is a level higher than me and has one more than me. We are wearing the same equipment and none is prestige. We are also casting the same spells, none of which are Rank II. When he was my level and had the same number of AA's as me he was getting much higher crits.

Please note that for my past 3 or 4 levels my crits have not increased even though my AA's have been purchased.

Also, while I really do appreciate the comments, my main question hasn't been answered. Is it possible that critical damage is limited simply because I'm on a Silver Account?
  5. shiftie Augur

I am voting for user error. Yes your damage is limited, though not specifically in the way you are insinuating. Or at the least it has not been reported as such.

There are so many variables. However based on the large disparity of damage dealt that you are reporting I would put the smart money on damage focus. And the likelihood that you are somehow causing your worn focus to be applied, by adding a prestige aug or something, missing a vital focus or using a piece of gear to which the focus has degraded entirely (iirc they only work for 5 levels before they degrade and will reach a point where they no longer apply).

If all your aa are the same and so are your spells, having your focus not working would cause this.

Either that or you are comparing his burn crits to your standard crits and are not remembering correctly. Possibly the crits you remember were while he was using PD, spire or some other augment.

Without posting logs showing the disparity and trying to go just off of what you remember isn't going to be very helpful. Outside of doing what beimeith suggests you are throwing darts into the ocean.
  6. daknife56 Journeyman

I don't really see why this has to be such a complicated question. There is either a limit on damage simply because an account is silver or there is not. I understand there are other factors such as prestige items, etc. But the question is simple.

If 2 players are identical in every way (and for the sake of argument say they are not wearing any equipment at all) and one is on a gold account and the other on a silver account, at higher levels will the player on the silver acount get less critical hit damage because he is on the silver account?
  7. Crystilla Augur

Are you using a parser to see this or are you going off of 'memory' and what you remember seeing at times.

Is your focus effects for the resist spell you're casting up to level (i.e. if you are casting a level 84 spell, are you wearing focus that goes to level 85 - or is your gear lower and it only goes to level 80). Asking because focii degrade by 5% per level.

What other AA's is he using versus you.

You literally have to set up a controlled experiment (we've given the reasons something would not be the same). Now it's testing them out to see what is the culprit, if there is one.

List the exact spell name here.
  8. daknife56 Journeyman

Please see my last post. This isn't a discussion of AA's and focus effects. Its a question about whether there is a limit set by the game on Silver accounts. A simple yes or no answer.
  9. Gladare Augur

Won't know without a controlled parse. Doesn't get much simpler.
    Beimeith likes this.
  10. Potawatomi Augur

No.

Also, everyone here was simply trying to help. Getting pissy with them does you no good.
  11. shiftie Augur

Should have known better than to try and help someone who is asking a question with minimal and vague parameters.

Instead of posting his exact question initially, why list all the parameters that then need to be ruled out before any real answer can be given. Otherwise we would have to set up the test ourselves having two identical wizards on gold/silver status.

There is nothing to indicate that identical wizards or any other class would suffer such an obstacle by virtue of account status, unless the criteria listed here were being applied.

As I said in my post it is user error as he is basing his assertion off of his memory rather than any log info. And when you look at a nearly doubled crit value the most likely culprit is focus effect all else being equal. Reminds me of a person who would claim their tv is broken in the middle of a power outage.
    Xikteny likes this.
  12. Xikteny Augur

Emphatically: no.
  13. daknife56 Journeyman

Thanks for the info. I have received an answer from another source that verifies the no answers.

Also, please know that I was never pissed. I think if you'll take a look at my first post you'll see that it was a yes or no question. I was just trying to get you to realize that. If you didn't know the answer, don't take it out on me and assume I was mad.

In any regard. I have verified that there is no in-game limit on critical damage to silver accounts.
  14. Crystilla Augur

Apologies - next time folks may not actually offer you the insights of where to look for the differences and just give the answer you ask for instead of the answer you need.
  15. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

This thread reminds me of the movie Back to School when Rodney Dangerfield hires Kurt Vonnegut to write his book report on his own book and is dissatisfied with the outcome.
  16. daknife56 Journeyman

I was trying to go to a source to ask a question that I thought the answer might already be known to spare me having to do research for a known issue.. Pardon me please. It won't happen again.

And you needn't post any more insults to me. I won't be back to see them.
  17. Izcurly Augur

"higher level than me"

Level is the most important number in nearly all combat calculations.
  18. CrazyLarth Augur

http://eqaasearch.org/aainfo.asp?search_fd9=Spell DPS&search_fd12=Wizard
    my crits for my L84 Wiz have not increased for about 4 levels even though I've been buying the destructive Fury AA's

i dont know you should of had increases at
    lvl 80 , 81 and 83.

when you buy the lvl 85 and if the increase does not happen make sure to bug it.

I did think that some mod 2 were capped for silvers but I am not 100% sure but i dont remember any thing about AA's bought not working right. just a cap on how many you can have as silver.