Fixed Crash - ResetDevice() failed!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Iven, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

• Windows 10 x64
    • 16 GB RAM, enough free memory, balanced memory mode (1)
    • New UI is deactivated in the settings but got reactivated automatically somehoiw (!).
    • Two EQ clients are running (in the background).
    • Fullscreen mode for all clients
    • Reproduceable ? Yes, every few minutes.
    • First appearance: Since the last game update I think but have not played much.
    • Location: All ToV and CoV zones but might also happen in other zones. Was only doing explorer achievement and checking the vendors in Western Wastes.
    When I do return to the last active client window from the Windows desktop, by mouse click or Alt-Tab, after some time has passed (like a minute or more) the client does often crash and two additional EQ fake windows do appear in the Windows 10 taskbar. The crash-frozen client window can only be closed by closing one of those additional fake windows. It can also happen when just switching from client to client with Alt-Tab.

When hovering with the mouse over one of the fake client windows in the taskbar, this message does appear: ResetDevice() failed!

[IMG]

I experienced a similar bug for many years until yet, that happened when one client was loading a zone or the character selection after /camp and I switched to it with Alt-Tab from the other client.
    Fenthen, Thunderkiks, Metanis and 2 others like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

3. feytalangel New Member

I've been seeing this lately on several different systems. It started happening after I disabled the new UI with the option to do so that came with the last patch. I'd never seen it happen before and mainly happened when I tried to alt-tab out.

I re-enabled the new UI and went back to just copying the old UI files for the 4 old UI windows that got replaced (inventory, window selector, quantity selector, and story window I think it was) into a custom UI folder as a way to manually get around new UI problems. Haven't seen a crash since I did that but may be too early to tell for sure.
    Iven likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Nope. The thread is four years old. I think that the new UI is the problem even that I have deactivated it again. It still is integrated even when being deacticated. The item icons in one hotbar do have a loading lag of three seconds after using the spinner, and recreating them had not solved the issue.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

I will test later if that will solve the problem.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

@feytalangel

Your are right, after enabling the Use New UI Engine button in the display options, I no longer experienced crashs. Played for a few hours. Thx so much for the help.
  7. feytalangel New Member

Yeah, I haven't seen the error/crash happen again since re-enabling the "Use New UI Engine" 'feature'. It's been 2-3 days now.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Only time I saw that in the past was due to either Direct X 9C not having been installed or video Card drivers being faulty/corrupted, once or twice fixing it required up to date runtimes for Visual C++.
  9. phattoni Augur

i used to get this on amd cards, it was caused by the video driver "crashing".

also happens on new system when i goto full screen with some certain options disabled.
  10. Fenthen aka Rath

Nvidia card, I've been getting this a lot lately -- once or twice a day.
    I disabled the new UI in my eqclient.ini
    Code:
    UseNewUIEngine=0
  11. Iven the Lunatic

AMD here, but it does not seem to matter. How does it work with UseNewUIEngine=1 ?
  12. Scila Augur

I haven't seen this in a very long time. When I did, it was always on the comp with amd. Once I backdated the amd drivers and stopped letting Windows Update select the drivers it resolved. I also got the drivers off the amd site rather than letting Windows pick them after that.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Using old drivers just for EQ is not a general solution. The right way would be that DBG does adjust their game to the newest drivers.
  14. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

I hate this new bug since last patch. It's like oh hey people are complaining it takes longer to alt tab, okay we will show them peasants. Now you risk crashing when you alt tab so have to play in window mode or do not even alt tab at all without risking a crash.

Sucks to be you filthy casual! Next time do not complain. Pray we do not alter the deal further.
  15. Fenanebae Terrwyn Lorekeeper

You may as well enable use new UI engine, since clicking it off not only does nothing for your flickers but just makes you crash more.

Forced to use the new UI anyway which never has worked and is crappy.
    drizerker, Metanis and Fenthen like this.
  16. Scila Augur

At one point with amd, there was an incompatibility problem with several apps. AMD updated their drivers and the problem resolved itself; however, sometimes apps don't always keep up as fast as drivers update.
  17. Pikollo Augur

This happens to me when I load another program and it pops up asking to run as admin. It sucks (a lot) but I hate the dragon hoard lag from the new UI engine even more.
  18. Thunderkiks Augur

It has been happening to me as well since the last patch. I only play one instance but if I have to tab out to look at my browser, discord, or whatever its more often than not that the reset device will fail. I play in full screen.
  19. Knifen Augur

It sucks its happening for so many, and I feel for ya TK. But I got to say (at least for me) since the first round of problems (think loading to a black screen for those that had issue) nothing has made my game play more easier and enjoyable than playing in windowed mode and filling the entire screen. The task bar can be auto hid and all your left with is the lilttle bar at the top of the screen. A small price to pay. Alt tabbing is lightning fast with 0 delay and no crashes.

It seems for a long time (regardless how stable it was for other) full screen game play has caused issues. EQ is not a stable Full Screen game any more.

Log in FS, switch to windowed mode. One time readjust your hot bars and windows and other such. Camp to char select screen, than exit game. You now have a UI saved for Windowed mode.

If and when they ever fix this to make it more stable you select switch to full screen mode.
    Metanis and Thunderkiks like this.
  20. Thunderkiks Augur

I already have windowed mode set up but I cant stand doing anything more than Overseer in windowed mode. My task bar is hidden but I'm always hitting it and opening other stuff. Then GINA timers drive me crazy and other notifications coming up and pulling my attention. Its I play in full screen or nothing. Someone linked an old thread where a dev has posted some stuff to change in the eqclient file. Im hoping it works. If not I may just copy my other laptop client because so far my main home PC seems to be the only one affected.