Couple of questions about weapon damage

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Deckerd Smeckerd, May 11, 2013.

1. Deckerd Smeckerd Augur

When a weapon has damage of 10 and a cold damage of 5 with a delay of 25, is that the same thing as a 15/25 weapon except that the cold damage could be resisted?

What does the damage bonus mean? For me its 6 points on most one hand weapons and 9 points on most 2h weapons. Is this added to the damage portion of the weapon or is it added to the damage i do after everything is calculated or what?

I was looking at these weapons:

1hb http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=75205

1hp http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=75110

Both of them have a damage bonus of 6 for me. Does that make the 1hb a 17/23 weapon and the 1hp a 16/19 weapon?
  2. Yther Augur

yea, basically it's 10/25 and every successful swing gets a chance for 5 points of cold damage that checks against their cold resist. My rule of thumb is figure 1/2 for elemental damage, unless you know the mob is weak too it (Like using cold damage in Plane of Fire) or ignoring it completely if the mob is highly resistant to it (like using Fire damage in Plane of Fire).

Damage bonus is the minimum, un-mitigated damage you'll do. For dual-wield weapons, it's only affect by level. For two-handers, it's affected by delay and level. There used to be a table on Lucy, but I don't see it any more. I also found a good post on calculating it yourself for any level (and delay on 2Hers), but I'd have to really look to find it.

No, you don't add Damage Bonus on, it's a minimum. Still damage divided by delay is the ratio you want to use. There's a more involved formula on Alla's at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/itemhelp.html under Comparative Efficiency that includes damage bonus (and Offhand Efficiency that doesn't). Usually the only time it's really important is using Riposte disciplines at lower levels (<70 or maybe lower), where the Damage Bonus is considerable compared to the weapons damage. See Riposte Weapons - List of lower level weapons good for Riposte Disciplines for a good example list of these.

Hopefully that clears it up. If not, let me know, and I'll try to be clearer / simpler.

Yther Ore.
  3. Gladare Augur

Damage wise, elemental damage is about 1/4. Aggro wise, elemental damage checks for full every swing. That's why you see warrior weapons with high elemental damage.
    Yther likes this.
  4. Yther Augur

Yea, I should of said for lower to mid levels. Higher levels mobs get alot better resists and the effect becomes less for actual DPS. And yea, always full aggro, and specifically why War get them alot, so they maintain good aggro but without having an overly DPS weapon.

Yther Ore.
  5. roth Augur

Years ago, I did a parse using a Longsword of Ethereal Energy, a 16 damage +5 Magic damage, 29 delay weapon. And just looking at what appeared to be the high hits, the 5 Magic on it appeared to average out to be 2.2 Magic overall.

BUT - Damage ratings on a weapon can only come in whole increments. On any given swing, your 10+5 weapon can hit as a 10 damage weapon, an 11 damage weapon, a 12 damage weapon, a 13 damage weapon, a 14 damage weapon, or a 15 damage weapon, but it cannot hit as a 12.2 damage weapon, or a 14.6 damage weapon.

Based on the parses that others have done, it appears that granularity is the reason why elemental damage on a weapon, in small amounts(1-3 points or so), comes across as 1/4 elemental most of the time. Larger amounts (5+) average closer to the 1/2 elemental. If a weapon has only 1 point of element, any partial resist on that resist check will result in resisting the entire point of elemental damage! Whereas a weapon with more than 1 point can be partially resisted but still have some of the elemental damage land that swing.