Couple of EOK T1 named

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Marbles, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Marbles Elder

I like a challenge! There are dozens of named monsters over the last couple of expansions i haven't killed. However, I am 90% T1 geared AC13.8K (14K with 'namer' buffs) and there have now been 3 mobs that are either broken of way out of whack (likely more that i haven't met yet). The are double hitting for well over 100K for a 200K total.

I don't know any cleric that can keep someone alive at that rate.
    Darg Hillock (doubled for 108k -- Dead)
    Darvlog Captain (doubled for 120K - Dead)
    Reese the Rhine (doubled for 149k -- Dead on first hit, second was just to say Merry Christmas)

If this is intended, i will just cross them off the list until expansion 41 when i have 250k HP but i can't belive it is.

Thanks.
  2. Cicelee Augur

Considering these named you listed have been killed numerous times by numerous players across numerous servers, I am going to venture that the problem is not the named...
  3. gotwar Gotcharms

All of the EOK named melee type abilities (and maybe the caster-y ones too?) seem to Twincast/Twinstrike (w/e you want to call it) from time to time.

Yes, this means you can get wtfpwnt from a single ability from time to time. We've all seen a raid geared plate tank get one-shotted a time or two on these named.

No idea if this is working as intended or not, but it's a thing. The chance for this to happen seems to be low (single digit %) but it does happen.
  4. Warpeace Augur

Lots of actual details missing to make any suggestions. Group make up, Defensives used, AA count and level just to toss out a few.

Have to agree with Cicelee its not the mob and sounds like you are missing important AA and or gear.
  5. Karthos Augur

It's the mob. I have to run WS to kill these and hope I can get get them down before they use these abilities. I belive it's a bug. On the tlp server I've noticed that every killing blow is hitting twice and I wonder if it is related. I thought it might be a reporting problem but I think it may not be.
  6. Sikanle Lorekeeper

The twinstrike/cast is probably intentional to add some danger to named hunting, but I think some damage mods are broken. There are various posts in the 12/14 update bugs forum about named hitting impossibly hard. Unless you are burning name before deflection drops, but thats 90mil HP on T2 named in 24 sec...

7. Missrebel New Member

The only one I had trouble with was Reese and it was only the first time. But she is harder than a lot of t2 named imo. Her AE ability had a chance to do some insane damage. But guess what I did? I stood my group far away from her while I tanked her. Minimized the AE on the group and it wasn't so bad. I also chain cast group rune on my chanter. Both those made the fight super easy. Sometimes you need to use different strats to win on these named. cant just bumrush them.
  8. Sikanle Lorekeeper

Yup I agree, not saying they are impossible, maybe need a little tuning.
    But if Overlord is hitting people for 580k with discs, nothing creative about that one.
  9. Marbles Elder

Silly me, i totally forgot the play better angle (and first response as well) I will make sure in the furture that as long as one person has done something then commenting on it is not allowed. I will now go crawl under a rock and wish that my gaming experience was like yours, it truly makes me sad, perhaps i should go play hello kitty in the mean time.

Oh wait, someone has probably has a level 9 kitty, so i had best just not contribute to any of the games i love.

Between the forum and the general chat it is no wonder new people don't play (oh wait that's another comment) bad me.
    Drogba and Raptorjesus5 like this.
  10. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

IMO nothing in group content should be doing more than 200k dmg per round (aside from emote failure / DT mechanics). On beta with full EoK raid gear my bard had ~220k HP. These named should be tuned around group geared players.

The real issue to me is that the abilities are twincastable. If they weren't twincasted, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

ex: Reese the Rhinopocalypse casts:

[49954] Wirlwind Strikes
    Target: Caster PB
    AE Range: 100'
    Resist: Unresistable
    Reflectable: No
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    1: Melee Attack for 79900 with 10000% Accuracy Mod
    Text: You are hit by whirlwind strikes.

It's not really an 80k AE, it's 80k /10 * DMG roll (from this post) so we get hits like these:

11/09/16 05:24:56 PM Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches YOU for 162225 points of damage.
    11/09/16 05:24:56 PM Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches YOU for 162225 points of damage.
    11/09/16 05:25:21 PM Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Kaeto for 164399 points of damage.
    11/09/16 05:25:21 PM Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Kaeto for 164399 points of damage.

A 162k hit is not insurmountable, but it sure is if it's doubled. In a T1 zone, no less. EQ needs to keep its non-raiding population around. I love challenging content, but getting hit for 300k dmg is not challenging, it's just insta-death.
    Vrinda likes this.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Reese the Rhinopocalypse, more like the Mercopocalypse.
  12. dwish Augur

I haven't done the rhino, so I can't comment on him, but the other two I have. Sometimes, named require a little bit different strategy then just the traditional tank and spank. My suggestion is to find some DPS (that actually know how to use burns) and burn these named to the ground asap. Tanks have the ability to withstand very large hits using various discs and AAs, but they aren't going to be able to take those kind of hits for 2-3 mins.

I have duoed both of these named with just my beastlord (main) and bard box. I tanked both of them on the beastlord personally, and did not use pet. The key is burning them fast, as even beastlords have tools to survive enormous hits over a short time frame. There are multiple classes that could do this, beastlords are nothing special in this regard.

Not all named are meant to be killed the same way.
  13. Corak Elder

Thanks for raising this issue, Marbles. I killed Reese twice with my T1 EoK/TBM group geared War tanking, and was curious how the tank survived. I checked the logs and found that the big hits were all the Wirlwind Strike melee AE. My little box group was doing 130K total group dps and killed him in just under 3 min each time. He used Wirlwind 14 times over two kills, but only 3 of those times involved a twincast. However, the twincast does not affect every target, it randomly affects one of the targets. Each of the three times it twincast, he one rounded somebody, but fortunately for me it was pets or mercs not the tank. I just got lucky both times, and still won without the slain. Seems like a good fight to throw in extra pets, one of these was the Warrior's agro projection pet that ate the twincast and died. Here are the three twincast Wirlwinds:

[Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse begins to cast a spell. <Wirlwind Strikes>
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Utithinna for 111304 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse says 'This is the -pocalypse!'
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Utithinna for 111304 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Utithinna has been slain by Reese the Rhinopocalypse!
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Nairet for 8833 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Kabann for 8833 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 01:45:20 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches YOU for 15258 points of damage.
    --------------------------------
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse begins to cast a spell. <Wirlwind Strikes>
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Surobok`s pet for 125727 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse says 'This is the -pocalypse!'
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Surobok`s pet for 125727 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Surobok`s pet has been slain by Reese the Rhinopocalypse!
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Utithinna for 8833 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse tries to punch Vatrim, but Vatrim dodges!
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Nairet for 78945 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:07:19 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches YOU for 11263 points of damage.
    --------------------------------
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse begins to cast a spell. <Wirlwind Strikes>
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Utithinna for 46585 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Vatrim for 113155 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse says 'This is the -pocalypse!'
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Vatrim for 113155 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Vatrim has been slain by Reese the Rhinopocalypse!
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse punches Nairet for 35799 points of damage.
    [Sat Dec 10 02:08:09 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse tries to punch YOU, but YOUR magical skin absorbs the blow!
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  14. Vdidar Augur

Reese does hit hard.
  15. Thraine Augur

i boxed Reese with my ranger tanking and chanter as back up with 2 cleric mercs .. 1 cleric merc died instantly, i pretty much had to go full disc to kill this guy before he killed me, pretty brutal for a T1 zone named.
  16. Biltene Kingslayer

I think it's intended. Looking at the logs that Corak posted, it looks like occasionally he targets one person for a double tap of the Wirlwind Strikes for insta-death, and even has a little emote when it happens. As I haven't fought this mob, I'm not sure if this emote happens every time he does the AE, or if only when he twins it, but the fact that it appears that it only targets one member of the group for the double, be they pets or PCs, seems to indicate that the difficulty for the mob lies in having to deal with one of your party members dying as you're fighting the mob.

Could be a bug, but I also find it just as likely that it's an obstacle that is intended to make the named difficult.
  17. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I killed every named in EoK except Kar`Zok Overlord with a merc tank. (Merc tank, Merc Cleric, Rogue, Cleric, Shaman, Bard box group). Could have killed Overlord given enough time. Some of them I ended up tanking myself for a while - The Bridge Guardian and his 83m HP. But they're all killable, even with a lame merc tank.

Just a side note, I love Reese's emote when you pull. I most certainly laughed.

[Wed Nov 30 19:05:34 2016] Reese the Rhinopocalypse says 'RHINOPOCALYPSE RULES!'
    Xeladom likes this.
  18. Act of Valor The Newest Member

He also says "Can't stop the 'poc." when he dies.

Augur rules.
  19. Axxius Augur

I suspect that the twincasting of these new 'melee spell' abilities is some kind of a bug. It doesn't make any sense. If they wanted Reese to hit for 330k they could just give him a 330k damage ability. This probably has something to do with using melee damage in it. Double strike affects it and causes this?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

We are twin casting Killing Blow on Live servers as well. It's got to be a bug I thought was associated with Twin Strike but maybe not if it's on TLP servers too.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.