Cost-effective setup for a box PC?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by -Denizzen-, Aug 9, 2017.

1. -Denizzen- Lorekeeper

Looking at picking up a 4th computer -- nowhere near up-to-date on what's up in the hardware world.

What kinda specs would I need to run EQ smoothly without having to turn all the graphics settings all the way down?
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

3. malaki Augur

Depending on what you mean specifically about graphics you can go all the way down to like a 100 dollar refurbished laptop which will run EQ just fine, though zoning on those types of machines is real slow.
  4. Illusory Augur

Its all about your graphics controller.

I believe the 3rd gen Intel chips (and higher) have desktop and mobile processors (with on-chip graphics) that can run EQ without any lag during gameplay. The 3rd Gen Intel chips have a mix of HD 2500, HD 3000, and HD 4000 controllers, which all run EQ, but you'll obviously want to go with the HD 4000 controller on that generation. As you move up in generations, you will obviously have better performance in EQ. The same can be translated from AMD chips too, if you compare their on-chip graphics controllers.

I wouldn't buy a desktop for a box, but more along the lines of this laptop: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-LATITU...770474?hash=item2a8a691b2a:g:XbQAAOSw2RdZhOXa

Get yourself a cheap ~$50 250GB SSD and you're golden.

tl;dr: 3rd gen (or higher) Intel desktops and laptops can run EQ without a dedicated graphics card.
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

If you live next to large university call them up, ask for their procurement department / surplus sales.
    Next one head on down and buy up relatively new and cheap equipment from their labs.

Bought some intel Nuc's they work great and can attach to the back of every monitor.
  6. Numiko Augur

WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS TO RUN EVERQUEST?

July 16, 2017 20:21
    Follow

Below are listed the current recommended specs for running EverQuest as it was meant to be run. Note that some machines may still be able to run the game with less than the Minimum Required Specs.
    MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Pentium 4/Athlon 64 or better
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA Ti 4800 or ATI 9800 (comparison chart)
    • Network: 28.8k + Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 10 GB of free hard drive space
    OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo / AMD Phenom II x2
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA 6800 or ATI x1800 (comparison chart)
    • Network: 56.6k + Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 10 GB of free hard drive space
  7. Laronk Augur

One thing you can do to improve zone times a lot and boot time for the laptop is to install a SSD into the laptop or PC. Since its your 4th computer you probably won't have anything at all except everquest. Anything with a i series processor should handle EQ just fine with just onboard graphics.
  8. malaki Augur

Sure, but that would significantly increase the price. I just brought up the sort of set up. Literally like 100 bucks and you can be up and running.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Reminds me that my slowest loading/zoning computer is a newer Cyberpower laptop with SSD, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia graphics. I suppose I should look into why. I did a file check from the launcher but that didn't show anything.
  10. Illusory Augur

2.5inch SSDs are like $25-$75 these days.