Constant Disconnects

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Belexes, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Metanis Bad Company

Did this seem to work?
  2. Belexes ForumQuester

No, it just didn't happen as much. I am currently in communication with tech support via email. I have been told they don't support onboard graphics. I have put the GT back in and changed PhysX to GPU. I played for about 3 hours, but the issue happened at the end of my session. Still getting D3D device lost.

The only thing that has seemed to work so far is to turn spell particles off. I haven't gotten a disconnect with this setting yet. Right now, I am running on low still. I want to see if I get another disconnect and see if it is for the same reasons I got one lasts night at the end of my session.
  3. Sarkaukar Augur

First, delete your eqclient.ini. In your game settings, do NOT uncheck hw Vertex Shaders. hw=hardware. Unchecking it moves the workload from the hardware to primarily software to render the vertex shaders. With VS your screen would be blank :)

And play in Windows/Full Windowed mode, not in Full Screen mode. Tis not EQ, tis Windows...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    June 2010 is the last dx9C bundle. Download, unpack to a location you can get to and run dxsetup. Keep this around. I use it to reinstall dx9c when there is a possibly of a corrupted dx9c file/module.

Most details on the 8.1 system if you would. Also include the brand/model/rating of the PSU. Insufficient or faulty PSU is a possibility since Particles can put an extra load on the system.
  4. Belexes ForumQuester

It has a 600 Watt PSU.

I have tried all that. The only way it works is to uncheck everything in Game configuration except for sounds. I do have all character models checked. Turn off particles for spells and set the other two to low. Then the system seems to work ok.

I have downloaded and installed the latest Directx 9. It has been reinstalled.

I never turn off the shaders. Other than that, I only have enable post effects checked.

Here is some info about my machine.

Time of this report: 8/9/2018, 18:03:44
    Machine name:
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb_escrow.180619-2033)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: 810-160
    BIOS: 80.15
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16338MB RAM
    Page File: 3991MB used, 12745MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GT 640
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FC0&SUBSYS_90C51B0A&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 12152 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 3984 MB
    Shared Memory: 8168 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: HP EliteDisplay E231 LED Backlit Monitor
    Monitor Model: HP E231
    Monitor Id: HWP3064
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI
    Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
    Driver File Version: 24.21.0013.9882 (English)
    Driver Version: 24.21.13.9882
    DDI Version: 11
    Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: DMA
    Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 8/1/2018 03:47:14, 19085184 bytes
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You're welcome.

Look, I try to help everyone I can. When I get pushback rather than appreciation, it raises my hackles. This is true for pretty much everyone. That's the point I was trying to make.

On to troubleshooting.

Well, it's obviously NOT your game files or OS, since the HD4600 works. Do either of the PCIe cards work in the Win7 machine, or any other machine?
  6. Belexes ForumQuester

Ok, then don't tell me I am ignoring you and I will be nicer. :p :)

The HD 4600 ended up having issues, but not as often.

I ripped out the GT 640 and put in a GTX 645. Problem solved!! I could add features to the game config again!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

So you had two bad cards? That's.....unlucky.

Glad you got it sorted.
  8. Belexes ForumQuester

No, I didn't have bad cards. I have rebuilt the PC, installed the game from scratch. Nothing worked. I spent a lot of time researching and read something that gave me an idea.

I play on two Win8.1 64bit with i7 processors and each with 32GB Ram behind a Netgear D6400 Modem/Router. One now has an Nvidia GTX 960 and the other a Radeon 7950. One has Office 2016 and Norton Internet Security. It was this one with the issues. The machine that didn't have these additional apps loaded never has issues. I wiped the HDD on the one that had issues and reinstalled a retail version of Win 8.1 64bit. Downloaded the game instead of copying old directory. Took forever to do that on my 1.5 DSL, but once I got the PC set up, it still had the disconnects.

Basically at this point, both PCs were very similiar in software builds and hardware, but one still had the issues with the D3D device lost and the particle failures that you saw in my post of the dbg.txt log file.

Only one major difference between the two PCs remained. Since I run two PCs behind one router, I had to set port forwarding rules on the one with my main character so I could get the Universal Chat Service to work. Most of us need that when we raid as we have class channels for alliances, auspice etc. Both PCs are assigned an IP address so I could do this.

If I remove the forwarding rule on the router, then both PCs will run ok with no disconnects, but neither of them will keep the Universal Chat Service running for more than a minute or two. Not acceptable.

I then assigned the port forwarding rule to the IP address of the PC that had the disconnects. The chat channels then worked on that PC and no disconnects.

The PC that used to have the port forwarding rule and ran fine now gets the disconnect issue!! Now I am getting somewhere. When I assign the port forwarding rule to a PC on the router, it causes the disconnects on the other. When neither PC has the port forwarding rule assigned, neither PC disconnects, but neither can keep Universal Chat Service running.

The Netgear router I use doesn't have the type of firewall you can change settings on or disable in a broad way. Inbound firewall settings are only done by port forwarding and port triggering. I couldn't get both PCs to keep the chat service running on this router at the same time. I tried everything on this router to see if I could to no avail.

When I run the Netgear device as a modem only, I can get both PCs to run the game and both keep the chat channel up and neither disconnects, but you obviously lose wireless access which my household uses on other devices.

My ISP is Centurylink and a few weeks ago they sent me a modem/router when I had a DSL outage and wanted me to troubleshoot on the modem they supplied me with when I suscribed years ago, which was a very old Actiontec modem. They said they didn't support that modem, hence the sending of the new modem.

ISPs always think the issue is on your end. :) I keep several modems for this reason, to convince them knuckleheads the issue is at the DSLAM etc. :)

I hooked up this Centurylink modem/router and took a look at the settings. It had two firewall settings, IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 was set to low and IPv6 was enabled. These were the default settings.

Lo and Behold, both PCs could keep the chat service up and no disconnects. I didn't even have to disable the firewall, just left on default settings.

The port forwarding rule on the other modem/router obviously caused issues with connectivity on the PC without the rule.

I also work from home on occasion via wireless and my Skype for Business stays connected as well! It used to disconnect every couple of minutes even when no other device on my network was on.

If you want wireless and wired capability and running EQ on multiple PCs behind the same Router, then you need a router that has the settings and features to allow you to do it. I only use two PCs, for EQ with one account on each, so this works great for me now.

Funny my cheap little Centurylink modem/router lets me do something my spendy Netgear could not. :) Now to find a better quality modem that allows the kind of firewall control I need that has dual band wireless.

I hope this helps those of you getting disconnects and the log seems to point out directx issues or particle issues. I know on reading this forum and others, many have this issue. Maybe you can resolve if your environment is similar network wise.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Network issue caused by port forwarding. Nice find. Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for sharing.