Completely New to EQ! Need help.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nukinator, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Crystilla Augur

There's definitely roleplay, but you have to look for it on FV these days.
    Otherwise Sigils guild on Erollisi Marr is a roleplay guild as well.

The game's starter UI is something they've worked on as a company but it still isn't that good.

In terms of classes, what type do you like to play?
    • Healer,
    • spell caster (cast nukes/dots from a distance),
    • melee classes (where you beat on the mob up close and personal)
    • pet classes (can be spell caster or melee here),
    • tank (where you're the one tanking that mob and protecting everyone else from getting hit)?
    • Crowd support (where you help boost others abilities more than your own)
    Nukinator likes this.
  2. Nukinator New Member

Well, I play MOBAs and I love tanking. However, that's a different story in MMOs. Most MMO tanks are rooted, I really don't like being rooted. But I can deal with it if the spells are interesting. And so far, they really are in EQ. So I'm willing to give everything a shot. I think the monk would be fun..I haven't really played a monk in any MMO. But..people say the DPS isn't as good as other classes and you won't be very "loved" in high-end content. Is that true ? I don't want to be shunned away from dungeon parties / raids just cause I'm a monk :(
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Ignore all comments made by high level people about high level classes - especially when it refers to their own being underpowered, or someone else's class being overpowered :).

For one thing, by the time you get there the devs will have responded to problems, or a new expansion with different problems will have been released. In the mean time, understand that you can play any class with a merc without having to rely on groups throughout the game, and a few, traditionally 'solo' classes, can play without the merc. In general, all classes are reasonably well balanced, so you can safely choose whichever seems to appeal to you the most.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Nukinator like this.
  4. Elskidor Augur

The tutorial is good for gear and teaches you a few things, but personally I've never liked it. When you feel that it is time to go out in the world, then go for it. There is a chance for defiant armor drops on every monster you kill, and I believe it is better than tutorial armor. I think I'm just too claustrophobic to hang down there for much time.
  5. Anhari Augur

As a Froglick, if you want a pet class and caster, go Necro. this is the best solo class out there, esp at low levels. Monk is decent, and their DPS holds it's own with their AA's and base skill set. Lots of button mashes. Their pulling ability using Feign death is fine, some would say superior, but I have never played a monk past 20th level.

As everyone always says, play the class/race that you like. In EQ, you can always delete and start over fairly well, and if you use the shared bank slot, it makes the re-starts easier. I'd say, play a combo of classes, get out of the tutorial as soon as you get your charm (+5 stats are great at low levels), the go to Crescent Reach, do the Hero's Journy, and have fun trying out the classes.
  6. TheGroobster New Member

In my experience, shadows are typically handled by the CPU. And they are usually one of the first things I turn down (other than ambient occlusion or anti-aliasing) if I am getting frame drops. Usually a notice a bigger drop in CPU usage when I lower shadows in most games. My CPU (i5-2500k OC'd at 4.4Ghz) usually has trouble with Ultra settings for shadows and water reflections. Since yours is an i3 you might have to turn it down to low. Hope this helps.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Dougul New Member

EQ will be hard at first if your used to later more polished games. The Tutorial is the worst bit. Once you learn how to design your UI it's a lot better.
    Get out in the real world and experience some low level dungeons.
    For me EQ has the best combat system ever made it was based around auto attack and then adds procs and abilities with very little button mashing.
    The way the spell system works it all just seems to work. The fact you play it in first person as well when in combat gives you more immersion than the 3rd person games.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. OldOne New Member

Thanks for the interesting discussion. I am still waiting for my game to download and looking forward to it.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

If you really don't like the UI you want to go to http://eqinterface.com/ i would suggest starting out with the complete sets and adding windows or piecing UIs together as you get more comfortable with it.
  10. Anhari Augur

I use Draken's TKing intereface myself, but I always loved Tom's work since I knew him when he first started doing the interface work, then went to Sig. games to work on Vangaurd.
  11. Brigante New Member

Hi Nukinator

Are you on the Antonius Bayle server (Euro server)? If so let me know if you want to group. I've got limited play time these days due to kids but I'm pretty much always online Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.

The old content is great so we could start to play through some old world dungeons if you want.

I've been playing since 2003 so I got access to several high level characters for buffs and such when needed.

Let me know your name in game so I can look you up. My main is Brigante, just type the command "/ all Brigante" without the quotes to see if I'm online or add me to your friends list.
  12. Sasenach Journeyman