Coming Back

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by FENDER42, Jul 13, 2016.

1. FENDER42 Lorekeeper

Hey guys I am a returning player to EQ after a long hiatus, I am wondering what progression server is the best for the long haul and what class would be best if I am not able to group very often and have limited time playing?
  2. Aenoan Augur

Probably Phini and just play whatever you want.
  3. Jaime Lannister Augur

Phinny should be the server of choice for the vast majority of players.
    Unless you are dedicated to multiboxing multiple toons without using multiple computers, It's probably where you want to go.

The only potential negatives to Phinny are if you absolutely hate slow exp rates, and fast expansion unlocks.
    If you're primary goal is to enjoy the group/leveling game with a single character, with the ability to raid and find a raid guild that fits your schedule, the choice is absolutely Phinny. Largest population by far.

If you enjoy Gearing up/playing 6+ toons, hate slow leveling, and want long expansion unlocks. The choice is Ragefire. The primary cons of ragefire being that 6 months expansions and faster leveling leave the server incredibly top heavy, so starting there without boxing is going to leave you solo'ing a lot. Everyone has had time to level multiple characters to 60 at this point, and 4+ months into the expansion people have less reason to be super active atm, and there aren't nearly as many characters in the lower level group range. That being said, Luclin will release Beastlords/Vah'Shir in a couple months as well as AA points, so expect a boom in new characters, and more active players as they will finally have something to do besides farm the same 8 camps.

There are 3 raid guilds on Ragefire, that Co-Exist fairly well, as they tend to raid at different times. But even Raiding is slowing down towards the end of the expansion as guilds have farmed the same raids endlessly over the last 4-5 months.

The other option is Lockjaw. Lockjaw is Ragefire with a smaller player base. Other than that they are more or less identical, and many are hoping they are eventually merged.
  4. Risiko Augur

What he said.

Phinny for heavy social community.

Ragefire for boxing.

Lockjaw for playing by yourself with two or three other people on the server.
  5. Gremin Augur

LJ is a viable server for whatever you decide to do. Plenty of raid guilds with a variety of guilds based on your needs. If you enjoy boxing, do it. If you enjoy playing one toon, do it.

Sure, it will be harder to do so on LJ but its still viable.
  6. Adonhiram Augur

Hey Jaime, you mentioned the true box code and the slower xp rate to our returning player, I'll also add the impossibility of multiquesting, which will have an impact especially on epics for a new player who starts from scratch.

Anyhow, welcome back to Everquest to the OP, we all went through the nostalgia, have fun and safe travels !
  7. Kiani Augur

I don't know where that thing came out about impossibility of multi questing, but it's not true, Phinny is no different to any other sender in that regard.

The only time I've heard of a failure in m q ing was for the hs key, which, as most know, has never been m.q-able.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Is your advice that new players play on Lockjaw or Ragefire because of this perceived money grab? I'm not sure what your point is in context of the OP.
  9. Adonhiram Augur

OK noted. Indeed, the fact you cannot quests has been mentioned several times on the forums.