Combat chat filters do not properly capture damage being done

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by zleski, Sep 26, 2022.

1. zleski Augur

My chat filters are in the screen capture below. Both "You being hit" and "You being missed" are both indicated for this window and a chat log from the event is:

Code:
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator slashes YOU for 39318 points of damage. (Strikethrough Wild Rampage)
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator is pierced by YOUR thorns for 8886 points of non-melee damage.
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator slashes YOU for 33153 points of damage. (Strikethrough Wild Rampage)
    [Sun Sep 25 20:31:02 2022] Xin Tetorau Dator is pierced by YOUR thorns for 8886 points of non-melee damage.

The defect here is that even though I was clearly hit, this damage did not show up in this tab in spite of the filters saying that it would. I suspect that this is being miscategorized in the "NPC rampage" and not in the "Me being hit" category.

While it is true that the damage may be "NPC Rampage" I do not care about all NPC rampage in this tab, only damage that's hitting me, inclusive of NPC rampage.

[IMG]
    Ileasa, Fenthen, Tweakfour17 and 3 others like this.
  2. zleski Augur

Similar to this:

If I log into a melee toon, who has her hits and flurries sent to one window, but "critical hits" elsewhere (a "spam" window), the same thing happens. When she scores a critical hit, it is still her hit and should be displayed alongside her other "my hits."

I have a screenshot of this that I can post, if it helps the devs, but it's the same general arrangement as the spell thing above.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

Way back, we had a line for damage, a line for ramp message, a line for crit message, etc etc. To reduce the traffic and logging, they inlined all the messaging into the damage line.

The filters and "show/hide" system, a line can only be assigned to one category at a time. The critical hits had still been going to the hits filter, but people didn't like that so they asked for crits damage to go to the crits filter instead.

This is just the drawback to the old system and how it was never made to have messages inlined with the damage. It may be annoying but its not a bug as the system is functioning perfectly to the way that players asked the lines to be filtered with the new inline messaging.
    Ileasa likes this.
  4. zleski Augur

While I appreciate the reply, this is clearly a defect. "My hits" are not showing up where they're filtered to show up. As it stands, the filtering feature is not usable, especially considering how easy it is to approach and even sustain 100% crit rate.

More importantly, "me being hit" is similarly not usable, which is something important to know!
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

Critical hits - mine, and others, need a separation as well.
    minimind, Ileasa and zleski like this.