Coldain Ring 8 bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Thallren, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Thallren New Member

I turned in the marching orders to Gloradin Coldheart. The mobs all spawned but the event never actually happened.
    Sarepean and Baldur like this.
  2. Thallren New Member

Some more info on what happened. Turn in was done Coldheart respawned with a *, she then walked away. Garadain Glacierbane is supposed to walk away from his hut, this never happened. The dwaves all spawned on the north end of the fort, the orcs and giants all spawned outside the walls, including chief ry'gor but they never engaged each other. This is my first time doing the quest so not sure what it is supposed to look like exactly but I imagine not like this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

This one?

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=997

You handed the ring, then the orders to Gloradin?

I remember it taking a long time before any mobs started moving when I did it this year. You don't need the dwarves or need to wait for them. As soon as the giants and orcs are attackable you can clear the fort.

Here's another write-up
    https://bonzz.com/coldain.htm#8
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

All the various ring scripts were always wonky, yes normal. Also this was meant for a lower level raid force so there's lots of time built in for raid forces to gather and do what they need.
  5. Thallren New Member

I turned the orders into Gloradin, she walked away, but garadain never walked off towards the fort like alla says he is supposed to.
  6. Grecco New Member

In actuality it doesn't fully spawn all the dwarves. I spawns at best half of them. Garadain never meets up with them and eventually they all despawn. This happened to me the day before Thallren. So the problem here is that Garadain never goes into the script mode and therefore you cannot turn in the head of the Chief to get your ring. So I get stuck with the head of the Chief and no ring. I have tried to turn in the head to Garadain and he just spits it back at me.
  7. Soulbanshee Augur

For the turn-in part, these old quests spawned special turn-in NPCs (different ID), and after it is idle the scripted NPC will despawn. Unfortunately it puts the task into a situation where you cannot continue because you missed your chance if it was not progressed in the way it is scripted. You should be able to do the turn-in if someone else gets the script to the same point you need to do the turn-in.

As far as the partial spawns and such, maybe the script has not cleanly reset from someone else's attempt. If it can't do what it's supposed to do then it will just keep doing what you are seeing. What server are you on, a not reset script won't affect all servers so the devs will need to know what server to look at to get more info to troubleshoot.
  8. Thallren New Member

I did mine in a fresh pick, on the aradune server. I guess it could have been turned in too quick and caused the bug, if so that sucks because of the long respawn timer for it and needing to race for the turn in.
  9. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I did the 8th ring quest last night and had what appears to be an identical experience to you. Garadain took my ring and Gloradin took the marching orders, but Garadain never left the hut. All the giants, orcs, and dwarves spawned, me and a few buddies killed the chief and his friends, I looted the head, and I turned it into Garadain, who would not accept it.

I get that these are old scripts, and I'm sure devs are reluctant to mess with them but... for me nostalgia doesn't include saying a prayer when I do a turn-in on part 8 of a 10 part quest, hoping against hope that the script works so I don't lose my items and progress. This is not fun for players or fun for Customer Support.

I'll also add that while the discussion here is insightful, it takes hours to get the place where you do this turn in, so trial-and-error is not really a great way for players to troubleshoot this script problem. If you could just try the script again, it would be different, but this is a large burden to put on the players.
  10. Soulbanshee Augur

If its a pick or AoC that may be a cause of the script breaking. I remember talk of classic scripted tasks not working correctly in instances, or something close/related to that.
  11. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I think I'm allowed to share this kind of thing here on the forums (mods please delete if I've misunderstood the rules), but here is the most recent update to my ticket, where I was originally directed to re-do the quest:

So I'm not sure if this is an official concession that the quest is broken, and it seems like some players are having luck with it, but I would be careful before trying this as there are definitely bugs with the quest, and if the script fails you will really have to start over with the first ring again.

Even though this is my fourth time playing through Velious, I've never actually done the ring quest line before (only the shawl). I thought it would be fun to finally do this, so as you can imagine, this conclusion is a pretty big letdown.
  12. Thallren New Member

A couple things I have learned. The quest bugs out sometimes, this morning on a fresh pick someone got the turn in and it worked fine. A guildie was able to turn in chief ry'gor's head into a working script garadain getting him the ring, from what I understand so was the person who spawned the chief. So, if you get chief ry'gor's head then you can still get the ring you don't have to start the quest over, and hope it doesn't bug out. This option still really sucks because there are two spawns that happen naturally each day, more once guilds start forcing picks.