[Coirnav] Need help with a duo

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tuurgin, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Tuurgin New Member

Hey folks

Im considering to try the Coirnav server. Looks fun. But i really dont know what to play. I am down to three mindsets so to say.

Longevity. I know from reading the boards, that SK + SHM will sustain me for ages and do really well for most stuff. Some goes for Monk and Shaman. A real tank and a slower.

-vs-

Niche stuff. Mage + Druid/Shaman/Bard/BST (Luclin). Or Druid + Necromancer, Enchanter + Cleric/Druid etc. The stuff that has a niche and limited. I hear that charm falls off later on past GoD (true?)

-vs-
    Fun. I mained a rogue back on live, and would love to try and relive that. But doing anything Rogue'y will sap all life out of me. LFGing for hours, not being able to solo etc. So maybe do Shaman + Rogue? Would probably have to main the shaman as he would be tanking quite a lot i suspect. And that isnt what i wanted with it.

So i am sorta torn. I like the mage. I like druids and paladins as well. Everyone seems to play SK or shaman. The Druid and Magician combo seem to have some upsides, but i also hear it has a lot of downsides and it takes quite a few expansions till it get into its own.

Guess i'd love some input on this, if any of you experienced boxers have an opinion.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. Ebine Augur

I find that you just have to look harder to find ways to level some characters. I had a cleric friend that soloed all the time he just always had to do undead.

Enchanter Charm they took the nerf bat after PoP. My Enc may have been a little over powered.
    I had a Enc/Druid combo which works well. I use to solo the Bastion of thunder earth camp in the back.
    I think a lot of people started doing reverse charm after PoP.

I remember that most good necros just soloed by themselves.

Shamen / Rogue If you could get the shamen to tank otherwise I would think your Rogue DPS would be way down due to no backstab.

I really like Mage/Enc or Mage/Druid.
    Mage/Enc you get pet tank with slows and mana regen and CC but no snare
    Mage/Druid Pet tank/snare/ports
    Mage/Mage Two pets/Nukes/ Air/earth Stuns and roots
    Cleric/Pal Rules all the undead areas in the game. Heals/LOH/tank
    The only thing with Tanks is there really gear dependent why the mage pet is good right out of the box.
    SK/War/Pal is ok out of the box but fully geared much better than mage pet.

Pretty much all the good players I know found ways to make the most of the type they played.
    And each type usually would be found soloing/duoing in different areas.
  3. Sagarmatha Augur

If you plan on dungeon crawling, you should choose something with snare. Of the ten trillion posts like this (and that's just TODAY), I rarely see snare as a consideration.

Root is great, but it breaks at unfortutious times, and if you're dungeon crawling it leads to wipes.

Also, if you plan on any kind of named killing, you don't stand a chance without a plate class or Mage pet. Necromancer snare kiting can work on some occasions, but it's a huge pain in the a$s.

Those that think Shaman can tank quality mobs or mobs past level 30 are HIGH as . Don't you just love having those idiots in your Old Sebilis group? Poking mobs with their uber spear? I mained a Shaman for 15 years and I promise you they are not even mediocre tanks, ESPECIALLY before AAs are introduced.
    Osu112401 and Cyri like this.
  4. Cyri Journeyman

OMG, can confirm. We were in crypt, Shaman was beating on things with a staff all night. We let her for some reason and it bit us in the . Cleric went down and shaman was at 20% mana because she was meleeing. Needless to say we wiped and it really sucked because XP was on turbo. Peeps popped XP pots and were staying up later than normal because the XP was so, so good.

It was one of those groups.
  5. Sagarmatha Augur

My point was about them tanking, not DPSing, but I get your point.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

SK/Sha is really strong, I would say the strongest.

If you want mage, I would advice second toon to be enchanter, third to be a melody bard, fourth another mage, and fifth a wizard :).

A melody bard (does nothing but melody) is a no hazzle add to your group if your pc can do it, delivers a lot on F2P, and has track.
  7. Tuurgin New Member

Hey and thanks for all the feedback

I think i narrowed it down to two combos.

Druid + Necromancer: I've literally always wanted this duo. I think it has a lot of potential between the two. But for exp, i'd primarily be doing undead zones and the slow from the necromancer. Charming can be done on both and even if there's no slow, i can just reverse charmkite. So that opens up a few more zones and potentially some named camps in zones which has either undead or animals.
    I realize a shaman would do very well with the necromancer, but i think the druid utility outweights the shamans, especially with necros being able to slow undeads. Although, one selling point on the shaman might be the dots. I dont know how shaman -vs- druid DPS stack up. Any of you know?

SK + Shm: Tried and tested. Longevity, opens up a lot of possibilities and works til the end of time. But it's so generic. There's gonna be a ton of both around and doesn't sound all to fun.

But struggling to do anything doesnt sound fun neither.
  8. Nolrog Augur

Good points with respect to snare. Can be big time problems and group wipers if mobs are not controlled properly.

Just want to add, that named start to summon later on, which makes necro snare kiting much more dangerous. IMO, I would go SK, because they are a plate class, can snare (darkness), can life tap and do decent DPS. If I do go to Coirnav (I'm very wishy washy right now), it would be SK, Shaman and wizard (for ports).