Coder: Mouselook sensitivity currently based on frame-time not delta-time.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rakshas, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Rakshas New Member

This has been the case since EQ was released, and if there are any engine coders on the team reading this, usually a frame-time to delta-time correction is a relatively short task.

For anyone else reading this: Mouselook sensitivity in Everquest (and many older games) currently operates at a set rate of rotation locked to the framerate, so if your framerate varies (EC tunnel, Freeport, looking straight down the front of Unrest), then your mouselook sensitivity will also wildly fluctuate, often causing you to spin around. If Everquest's client were to switch to delta-time locked mouselook sensitivity, it would alleviate this problem completely. Most of the time this is a simple swap, and I figured I would bring this up in the hopes maybe an engineer reads this.

Thank you for your time.
    Thash likes this.
  2. Kiriskhon New Member

This would be a *huge* quality of life increase for me. As soon as my framerate drops from seeing a crowd I drive like a drunk, hard turning into walls constantly just trying to make it around corners. Strafing everywhere is a pain in the butt.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Imho, the only thing a coder should base on frame-time, is realtime level-of-detail adjustments(particle-density etc), if they allow us to set a "minimum-framerate".

There are a lot disturbing hacks in the engine, you can run faster diagonally than straight forward for example, and Im not even sure "snare" affects sideways movement...:p

Sticking your head trough walls in first-person-view is also stupid, they should make collision detection for the "near-clipping-plane".
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

This used to drive me crazy. In the guild lobby where everybody would sit for group buffs, my view would jump 180 degrees past the laggy section anytime I tried to look past that area using the mouse. Using the keyboard doesn't cause the same problem.

That was with a dual core 2ghz Athlon with 2gb ram and a Radeon 5770. I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 with 6 cores and 12 threads, 8gb of ram and a GTX 770. The problem no longer happens no matter how fast I mouselook in the guild lobby. But for anybody who's PC is slower, it basically means they need to look at the floor to navigate in this area or use the keyboard.
  5. Rakshas New Member

It's always more than meets the eye when looking at a codebase externally, however this is usually a quick-fix, and I hope if EQ1 still has a software engineer on staff they might take a look at this eventually.