[CLR] Feeling left out on TDS itemization

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Sirene_Fippy, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

TDS has some excellent chase items:

Repentia - A belt with a 25% chance to proc 1000 magic damage via using melee weapon skills (1HB etc)
    Tita's Incapacitating Cincture - A belt with a 35% chance to proc Cripple on Block/Dodge/Parry/Riposte
    Parogressio - A belt with a 1000 damage bonus to magic spells
    Usasium - A belt with a 45% chance to proc a 50% slow on Parry
    Venenium - A 0.5s clicky Eradicate Poison (60 counters) with a 30s recast (for comparison, the TDS cleric spell cures 80 poison counters)

I'm going to throw a couple older clickies in, for the sake of the argument:

Terror's Juju - A clicky reverse DS (RoF group content) with a 3 min recast
    Shield of Immaculate Light - A clicky Abolish Disease (35 counters) with a 5s recast

In addition to the mentioned clickies/chase items, we are getting a few new caster proc augs:

Sympathetic Hand of Soothing IX - heal your group upon casting heal spells
    Sympathetic Force of Magic IX - magic DD upon casting damaging spells
    Sympathetic Pulse of Venom IX - poison DoT upon casting damaging spells
    Sympathetic Healing Burst IX - self heal upon casting damaging spells

Notably absent from the list of sympathetic augs is the mana return via heal casts, which only exists on one item (Helping Hand - RoF).

These items are so cool, and none of them are really good for a cleric. The most exciting belts (cripple/slow proc) proc via defensive skills, making them only marginally useful on non-tank classes. The melee damage belt is neat, but I don't melee in raids. The spell damage belt is neat also, but the vast majority of my spells are, well, heals.

Not only are none of the chase items very useful to us, but we are seeing an additional cure clicky to add to the disease cure from CotF and the reverse DS from RoF. I realize that these items have limitations - they have a recast timer, they are hard to get, they aren't as good as the cleric version. I felt the need to say something, though, because I really don't think its fair to see clerics overlooked again in the chase item department, in addition to another way for non-priests to have priest abilities (cure).
  2. Sathayorn Augur

And what about shamans? Making potions is what they do.
  3. Hatsee Augur

I wouldn't use eradicate poison as an example because something like 1/3rd of the classes can cast that already.
  4. Laronk Augur

Get to the back of the bus clerics

-Nitsude the great
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  5. guado Augur

Procs like on the Shawl Aug would be cool to have in a modern useful value of a heal. It would be nice to be able to proc a group heal via an aug. I wouldn't even mind carrying around aug distillers, which would serve to "toggle" the group heal. (Group heal while pulling could be bad) As it stands, I don't know why they haven't upgraded a proc like the priest shawl aug.

The proc for those of you unfamiliar:
    Brell's Restoration

Description
    1: Trigger on Cast: Brell's Sacred Soothing Wave (80% Chance)
    2: Limit: Minimum Mana Cost (300)
    3: Limit: Min Level (70)
    4: Limit: Max Level(253)

Brell's Sacred Soothing Wave

Description

1: Increase Hitpoints by 250

I don't think it would be game-breaking to create an upgrade to say a 25k heal. Something on the spectrum of "noticeable" would be interesting. They could even up it to a 50k heal and put a proc cap of 2x per minute or something the developers deem acceptable. There is evidence that a proc can be made into a cap per minute (headshot etc). I welcome other thoughts on the subject!
  6. Crystilla Augur

Err, hate to disagree but anything with that high of a heal and proc rate would be obscenely overpowered IMO.

These items are not supposed to take the place of actual healers at all. What you're talking about puts it on the realm of the old necro RB spell (where healers weren't even needed in the group). These are supposed to add a little boost only, which is what they do.
  7. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Group heal procs are neat in theory, but really don't amount to much.

This is the group heal proc on the TDS aug:

[38857] Sympathetic Hand of Soothing IX
    Target: Self
    1: Cast: HandOfHolyVengeanceIXRecourse on Spell Use (Base 10% Chance) e.g. Cast Time 2s=2.5% 3s=3.3% 4s=5.0% 5s=6.7%

[38853] HandOfHolyVengeanceIXRecourse
    Target: Target Group
    1: Increase Current HP by 170

With 800 heal amount, you will see this heal your group for ~ 370 and crit for ~740.

Sympathetic Hand of Soothing will proc for roughly 30% of a cleric's spells (Remedy triggers Sympathetic procs ~20% of the time, longer heals ~40%). So every 3 or so casts, you get a bonus of ~550 HP to the group. Current cleric heals average > 25k per spell. So for every 25k of healing, you get a bonus 550 HP per group member (avg crit rate), 3300 total healing. Thats ~4% of your total healing (3300/25k every 3 casts), which seems pretty nice. However, our groupmates aren't always going to be < 100% when the proc goes off.

I measured the total value of heals that landed for under 1k during a 40 minute ToR raid (these would be mostly group heal procs from the priest shawl). It turned out to be a total of 64k healing, out of 26 million - only 0.25% of all my healing came from shawl procs. It convinced me not to use the priest shawl any more, as the group heal is negligible. The same will be the case with Sympathetic Hand of Soothing.

Mana return procs, on the other hand, give a much better return. Let's say the shawl aug gave me 250 extra mana when it procs (hello caster shawl). Out of 132 shawl procs I had on the ToR raid, I have a choice between:

Caster shawl aug:
    250 mana * 132 total procs = 33000 total mana gained
    40 min * 10 ticks/min = 400 ticks
    33000 mana / 400 ticks = 82 mana regen

Priest shawl aug:
    Theory: (675 HP * 6 group members) * 132 total procs = 534600 extra healing
    Measured: 64321 extra healing (0.25% of my total healing)

How much extra healing can I get out of 33000 mana (roughly)?

Graceful Remedy - 601 mana cost (avg), 25k healed (avg)
    33000 mana / 601 mana ~= 55 casts of Remedy
    25000 HP * 55 casts = 1375000 extra healing (5% of my total)

The benefit of extra mana arguably doesn't matter in situations which we don't run oom, but in general, mana return procs are much more powerful than bonus healing of any kind (and certainly do matter in the ToR raid).

Comparing Sympathetic Hand of Soothing to Sympathetic Alleviating Burst -

Sympathetic Hand of Soothing IX (theory)
    (550 HP * 6 group members) * 30% of spell casts ~= 1000 extra HP per cast (max)

Sympathetic Alleviating Burst VIII (+188 mana proc)
    188 mana * 30% of spell casts ~= 56.4 mana per cast
    31.5 casts per minute (avg for me) * 56.4 / 10 ticks/min = 177 mana regen

Considering Hand of Soothing really doesn't land on everyone in the group each proc, it really doesn't measure up to the alternative.