Client Crashing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Luchious, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Luchious New Member

I have an Acer Iconia W510, I've heard rumors of being able to play EQ on a tablet so I figured I'd give it a try. The game downloaded and installed but every time I click "Play" from the patcher it black screens and then Client Crashes me. Is this due to my video card not being good enough or is there some trick to getting a tablet to play EQ?
  2. Brudal Augur

Status: 8/1/2014 12:14 PDT - We are currently investigating an issue with logging into the game.

May be related, not sure.
  3. Luchious New Member

I don't think so. I've been having this issue for a couple weeks now just been exploring other options on logging into it. Finally gave up on it today. It lets me log in, just Client Crashes when it loads server select screen.
  4. Evlomir New Member

mine doesnt even get that far...launcher loads and runs fine but when i click play and tries to go to server select screen it acts as though ive hit the minimize screen button and wont let me bring it back up...been doing this since yesterday...ive been playing on this laptop for some time and i was being told it was my vid card drivers.....and i know its not cause i have several other games on here that load and run just fine and dont minimize themselves....im ready to give up trying
  5. Luchious New Member

That sounds like what my Tablet is doing. If I use the regular launch pad it does that. If I use Wineq 2 it loads the screen normally then Client Crashes me.
  6. Evlomir New Member

and by the way here is my reference # 140731-000655
  7. Sarkaukar Augur

First, Evlomir, adding me too to every other thread does not help, especially since there are many reasons for crashes after attempting to launch the game.

Luchious, it is likely the CPU/GPU combination with a strong emphasis on the CPU. There are other tablets/netbooks/etc that EQ will not launch successfully and crashes.

Yes, it is an old game, coding-wise and the way it reads/retrieves system information does not hold well for the low end of the newer technologies.

But here are some things to try if you really wish to attempt it.

1. download/install directx 9c. Try the dxwebupdate first, if not that then the redistribution file (download/unpack then run the dxsetup from the temp location.

2. Install the game in a customized location, such as c:\games\everquest. Also make sure launchpad.exe is set to run with Admin privileges.

3. Before hitting Play, click on Advanced tools, game configuration (pre-game setup) and set resolution. Now this may be one of the issues, especially if the netbook resolution does not scale.
    Set resolution to 800.600 first and test. If that does not work try 1024x768.

The idea is to set resolution so the game will at least launch. If it is applicable, set the graphic options to see if it allows GPU scaling so that the default game setting 1024x768, will fit in the display window showing 1366x768. 99% of systems will work with display scaling but for some displays that do not run at a particular resolution, then the GPU needs to scale the picture to fit, even if there are blocks of empty areas the set display resolution.

As I do not have a netbook, and so far no one else has posted a resolution on how they got the game to play on theirs, all I can do is offer possible solutions to attempt. If you are able to get the game up and running, switching to windowed mode then setting game resolution (in game, Alt O, Display Tab) will set the 2nd set of resolution options.

Now, all the above is dependent on the GPU being the culprit. It is possible the CPU could be the issue or part of the issue (no workaround on that).