Clerics: Circle of Life

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Ylyrra-TP, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Ylyrra-TP Journeyman

Do any of you use Circle of Life III (or IV, once it's available)? It's something we haven't used in quite some time, going instead with our Divinity / Reverent spell auras. Should CoL (more specifically a CoL rotation on raids) worth putting back on the table?

Thanks.
  2. Nylrem Augur

Since the aura affects everyone within range, non-aura users should be clicking auras, not clerics.

Power, Life, and Mana should all be being used, frequently, and cast by non-aura users.
    Ylyrra-TP likes this.
  3. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Personally I never use Circle of Life, it doesn't stack with Flurry of Life / bard pulse. I much prefer to use Circle of Power to help the raid. Our second aura is only situationally useful (i.e. when someone has recently died), I don't mind dropping it to use CoP. I used to use Circle of Mana during some longer raid events, but haven't for a long time.
  4. Crystilla Augur

Before the change to our aura durations, I used to throw in the Circle clickie. But now, the auras last about forever so it never even occurs to me frankly.
  5. Ylyrra-TP Journeyman

It has been quite some time since I've used CoL - my recollection is that the CoX (CoL, CoM, CoP) effects reach everyone within range (not just the caster's group). Your response seems to seems to confirm that, but I want to clarify so I don't just assume. :)

One of our raid leaders has brought this subject to the table as something we may want to give a try (doing CoX rotations on raids). I'm just trying to find out the information regarding the benefits / drawbacks.

Also, when you say non-aura users, can anyone with a CoX item in inventory use it to the benefit of those around them, or the ability to click it restricted to only those that would be able to wear it?
  6. Tour Augur

Because the usefulness of our auras is usually better than the clicky ones, there aren't to many situations where you should use them. But there are exceptions:

1. You are grouped with another cleric(s), and you both have one aura up each, and thus one aura slot up each.
    2. You are out of range from your group, or the particular person in your group who you really want to have this effect such as a MT (and it is impossible or impractical to move within range) but your circle click are within range of others that would be useful.
    3. Your group gets minimal utility from your class auras, such as not needing the damage mitigation, where a circle item would be of greater utility.
    4. Catch all: the benefits of Circle of X outweigh the damage mitgation / max HP increase.
  7. Khoza Augur

As of RoF, items with most, if not all, CoX auras should be available to all classes. For reference, the non-aura classes include (to my knowledge):

Rogue, Wizard, Mage, Necro, Shaman, Ranger, Beast Lord, and Shadowknight.
  8. Khoza Augur

9. Khoza Augur

Guardian Circle doesn't seem to have been given the same treatment, however. GC1 is limited to tanks (and in one case in HoT, bards) after Underfoot, where there was an all-melee ring, while GC3 has an all-melee ring as late as VoA. (Tanks continue to get both versions in RoF.) No casters here.
  10. Mykaylla Augur

There is a Guardian Circle III click that clerics and shaman can use from revamped Crushbone's miniraid- Bloody Orc Signet.

Depends. Length of the fight makes a difference- few fights these days are won by a healing attrition battle where you *also* need every last hit point you can muster to land every time. In endurance fights, Circle of Mana and Circle of Power are therefore more useful- more mana means more casting heals for longer which = more healing than the boost on Circle of Life, and more critting from Circle of Power means more damage = the test of endurance takes less time. In a short fight where people are burning as hard as they can in a "get them before they get you" scenario, you don't need to make your circle clicks extend out so far, and you'll probably get more use out of Circle of Life.

Circle of Life does not stack with:
    Standards of Recovery (banners)
    Flurry of Life AA
    Pulse of Salarra (bard song)
    Remorseful Effect (Paladin self-ability)
    Healing reduction effects like Vow, BP, paladin Valorous Rage, et cetera.

It's also going to depends how many people you have with access to which circle. I have all four circle clicks at III or IV, so I can pick and choose, but maybe some only have one or another in your guild- knowing who has what is worthwhile for planning out rotations like that.
    As for clerics not using a click, I'm never reticent about using one, and the answer to that is simple: Aura of the Reverent.
    As a vie, reverent aura's effect does not stack with other vie effects. If you keep shining bastion or rallied bastion of vie on your whole group, reverent aura is doing exactly nothing, unless you're only using rallied bastion of vie and it's regularly breaking through before you recast it. If you're not concerned about your whole group and just your tank, if your tank is using No Time To Bleed, Brace for Impact, Demand for Honour, Reverent Penitence, Armour of Reverence, Brightwing Mantle, Reprove, Protective Allegiance, Insolent Influence, Bonebrood Mantle, Grelleth's Carapace, Cascading Theft of Defense, Groundswell Stance, Fortify Companion, Host in the Shell, or has your own shining on them, Reverent Aura is doing nothing. Likewise, if anyone in your group is using Ro's Burning Cloak, Outrider's Evasion, Protection of the Spirit Wolf, Dirge of Dreams, Plakt's Protection, Protection of the Warder, Uncanny Resilience, Adrenaline Rush, Veil of Mindshadow, Phantasmic Reflex, Rune of Banishment, Elemental Ward, Stone Core, Contraforce, First Spire of the Sensei, Recourse of Life, or Arcane Destruction (there are more, but I think that's a pretty long list as it is), again, Reverent Aura, is doing nothing. There are a few abilities that are very close, like 1% off negating the efficacy of reverent aura, including THird Spire of Divinity. That's before even getting to actual runes (SPA 55), which are always deducted first, before a vie is then calculated on the remainder of the damage coming in after that.
    Unless a given cleric doesn't use vie or shining, Aura of the Reverent has little to no appreciable use, and can easily be dropped for whichever circle click (or undead trap) you like.
  11. Mugsie Elder

Guardian Circle doesn't stack with shoulder clicker line, which is superior, thus its basically a dead line.
    Mugsie
  12. Khoza Augur

Unless you're comparing the lowest GC with the highest Myrmidon's Skill, that doesn't appear to be true.

Guardian Circle I - 2: Increase Chance to Dodge by 20%
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=8992

Guardian Circle II - 2: Increase Chance to Dodge by 30%
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=9001

Guardian Circle III - 2: Increase Chance to Dodge by 40%
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=9009

Group Max
    Myrmidon's Skill VIII - 6: Increase Chance to Dodge by 14%
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=23415

Raid Max
    Myrmidon's Skill XI - 6: Increase Chance to Dodge by 20%
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=33113
  13. Mugsie Elder

Oops, yeah we stopped using it due to the fact it overwrote everybody's shoulder buff and then poofed. No way we were going to be able keep a rotation of 15+ of these going. It was considered to be dead to us due to the fact it was a net loss since it kept knocking off more buffs than it would put on.

Mugsie
  14. Khoza Augur

Now THAT is something I can understand. (And should have known, TBH. I remember this happening, now that you say it.) Annoying in much the same way as war discs knocking off shaman buffs.

So I guess it's no great loss, in that light. Oh well.
  15. Firrionafan Elder

I do not see where CoL knocks off my shoulder buff? The dodge one? When in groups with 2 clerics, 1 does HP+ and 1 Damage Mitigation....so room to CoL III. Good or not? Thoughts, ideas?
  16. Mykaylla Augur

That's Guardian Circle that doesn't stack with Myrmidon's Aura, not Circle of Life.
    Circle of Life, however, will not stack with Flurry of Life AA (which is better while it is active).
  17. Roxxanna Augur

This whole time, I've been so concerned about keeping Reverant up, and it's not even doing anything? Why do they do this to us?
  18. Crystilla Augur

Reverent works (if you aren't reapplying shining). So depends which is more important to you (though shining is better) and whether you're even in range for reverent to hit your tank.
  19. Roxxanna Augur

I'm always reapplying shining, dare I ask if my precious Earring of the Elddar is worth keeping?
  20. Crystilla Augur

Yes keep it :) Just don't use it when you use flurry of life (as I think Mykaylla said above).