[Cleric] Reverse DS line of spells

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Prismah, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Prismah New Member

Hi all! I did a minor (not horribly extensive) search for information on this subject. I understand it may be somewhere in a vague post about this line of spells, but I didn't see any posts about my question in particular.

As it relates to the part of this spell that causes a mob to take damage when it attacks somebody, does that damage belong to my Cleric? Or does it behave like a Druid or Mage's DS on the attack-receiving target would behave, and cause neutral damage that does not decide who "killed" the mob?

I am interested in swarming several mobs on my Cleric and allowing the viral version of the spell to infect everything... then having my PL-ee do some damage on everything. That 72+gear Damage Shielding modifier + the 70 from an effect on my armor would be a pretty sizeable DS for PL'ing in this fashion... but if the Blood of the Unsullied damage from the reverse DS actually contributes to my Cleric then that's not viable. HALP!
  2. Gladare Augur

It actually does belong to the cleric unless it has changed since the spells came out. I tried to pl exactly like that a long time ago, but it didn't work.
  3. Prismah New Member

And this goes without saying that there was no chance for a confounding variable or other source of damage whatsoever?
  4. Gladare Augur

Right. Cleric was alone with the alt. I wasn't casting dd's and clerics can't riposte. Cleric was tanking while the alt beat away on the mobs.

I still suggest testing it. Just round up one mob instead of a swarm. Things may have changed.
  5. Prismah New Member

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping so, but if not I can still use the ever-so-powerful tank merc for the range that I want to do this. Thanks for the responses!
  6. Mykaylla Augur

Reverse DS lines definitely attribute. They are not agnostic damage like a regular damage shield.
    You can use them to pull though, but you have to use tricks to do it, and you need to be able to tank things with the group or individual that you want to get the XP.
    You can viral and use DA, and then zone (since the constantly spamming builds up more aggro the more mobs you have in your viral train, they'll turn to the cleric whenever they can if you don't have a real tank AE aggroing or significant AE damage). As I said though, that depends on you being able to clean up this train with the people you want to get the XP.
    If you're pulling things with a cleric for lowbies that can't be grouped with the cleric and don't auto-aggro and assist, load up your highest non-damage stun (Sound of X), old target AE stun (which is also no damage), dispel, flash of light, level 1 root/blessed chains AA(you want the shorter duration ones, so you don't outrange the aggro on them and it breaks faster), Mithril Breastplate clicky if you have one, and cycle through them as you cycle through targets.
  7. Prismah New Member

Thanks for the tips. Just to prove I'm not useless, and was just trying to utilize the internet while I was at work to see if something worked, I did give it a try and found that the Cleric claims those targets with the reverse DS.

/thread
  8. Toboe Journeyman

The answers are not correct, I used my 76 cleric to sort of pl my ranger from 21 to 50 took me less then an hour.

The reverse DS's go to the player not the cleric, the ranger recieved ALL of his experience, you just need to like all ds's make sure your character inflicts damage, this was very helpful when I went to mesa at 21 to fight giants rng could barely damage them this is what I uses

Skinspike potion for level
    Mark of the blameless
    RNG ds(which isnt very good in the 20's but it is extra damage

this was just last week I did this and it works.
  9. Mykaylla Augur

As I said, you need to be able to tank things with the group or individual that you want to get the XP.

The PLing that the OP is talking about, is having the cleric tank it all, as higher level characters are capable of stacking more and higher DS on themselves, as well as taking more damage from more mobs at once, and the lower level character being PLed only need to achieve a single point of damage on each mob. Regular DS is agnostic damage- it doesn't really belong to anyone, which is why the corpse will poof if only DS is used to kill something.

Mark DS is not agnostic. It must attribute to someone. It attributes to whoever is being hit. Corpses do not poof from mark DS. If the mobs hit the cleric and take damage from a mark, the lowbie character will not get XP, unless they overcome the damage taken from hitting the cleric.

You're also describing using mark of the blameless- blood, the viral DS, pulses an attempt to infect any mobs within range, regardless of whether or not they have been marked, every tick. Every mob thus infected will pulse it on every other mob around them. The cleric will accrue hate as if they cast every single one of those debuffs, every tick (shaman Hungry Plague does the same thing, but with slow). Even if the cleric fades, with viral in play, and a player on the hate list, the cleric will get back on the hate list- I have watched this a lot in places like Kaesora Library, where I can't just go wait for the tank to show up with all of the mobs they are pulling and not pay attention, because some of them will beline me instead, and won't change their mind until the tank has proximity aggro on them, and is generating more from other abilities (at which point, I couldn't steal it back off them if I tried, but I have Spell Casting Subtlety, too).
  10. Aildyen_MP Lorekeeper

Viral DS and bad pathing is soooo fun :)
  11. Tinyfeet Elder

The damage from the reverse DS counts as damage for whoever is taking the hits.

Cast reverse DS > mobs beat on cleric > reverse DS dps is cleric damage
    Cast reverse DS > mobs beat on Player Pete > reverse DS dps is Player Pete's damage