Civil discussion about /follow

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Baeddon, May 28, 2015.

1. Natal Augur

The /follow command works much better in EQ2 than in EQ. In EQ2 a following toon will pretty much trace the steps of the character being followed, and that prevents things such as getting stuck or falling off edges and the like.

If the EQ version was recoded to behave like the EQ2 version, that would satisfy most people I think.
    Caell likes this.
  2. Battleaxe Augur

If using some settings allows, say 2 for argument's sake, characters to follow a single operator who is playing multiple characters in a zone like Evantil then /follow is adequate for:

Main, at least 2 other toons operated by that main, and 3 mercs - a group

and certainly 6 independently operated toons not burdened by running multiple instances of EQ - a group

even where there are spiral ramps that are narrow.

Devs could make all content flat with no trees, no lava pits, wide paths with sweeping curves, no invisible bridges. They don't. There are intentional terrain hazards and players are expected to be attentive while negotiating them. Some entire zones are challenging to navigate (ice, narrow ramps winding in many directions, etc.) despite the fact that they could be trivial to navigate by being laid out differently. EQ is not EQ2. Making it EQ2-like definately would not please everybody. I for example, like having to have 6 live players all paying attention to where their toon is going even if they chose to use follow so they don't have to know the path to go somewhere.

/follow is just fine. Its unnecessary (Use your eyes. Don't move until everyone is present and ready to move, etc.) but it doesn't completely eliminate the need to pay attention to your toon - play the game.

In a contest between play the game and auto do everything IMO devs strike a compromise. /follow in EQ is a compromise between a self-driving car and one driven by an operator. In a 3D world where people walk, run, ride, (and port) having to walk rather than be safely pulled along by a teather nearly 100% of the time is reasonable.
  3. Tiqou Elder

Mercs are following perfectly. The code must be somewhere...
  4. Fallanthas Lorekeeper

In your mind. Battleaxe, the way that you zealously turn everything into an anti-boxer argument is almost embarrassing.

It's a mechanic that's been poorly implemented for 16 years now. Fix it or get rid of it. The current state of /follow is embarrassing.
    Motherlee, Lily and Anastasis like this.
  5. Hostility Elder

Boxing a mage would easily solve all this. Box 3 for your 18 box hacking (joking)

Seriously fix /follow
    Iila likes this.
  6. shimazuul Journeyman

Simple solution, really. The code exists. The corpsedrag coding should be substituted for the autofollow coding and the problem is solved..
    Motherlee, Dre. and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  7. Baeddon Elder

Well. I won part of my request.

• The auto-follow command no longer requires you to be grouped with your targeted player.
    Felicite likes this.
  8. Reval Augur

Go into options, and up the frame rate for when a screen isn't the active screen. It's somewhere deep in the display options. Now your characters will run normal.. if you have enough graphics card power to pull it off lol.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Hmm well we know for certain the follow issues vary a lot by the zone, area of a zone.
    For example in Gfay on the north end past the city follow becomes useless yet in S.K. it works pretty much the same across the entire zone. One may also notice mob pathing in the same areas matches the follow problems. So if location in the zone matters then the problem has nothing to do with the player end. Now this is conjecture and hearsay, follow was coded to be a pita from the beginning.
    Guess Brad didnt want it in game at all and just threw together something and said here.
    Still say the third party software that allows stick a much better solution but thats a whole nuther can-o-worms.
  10. Laronk Augur

My merc is challenged and often will not follow me perfectly, want to trade mercs?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Lighteningrod Augur

Did he tell you that when ya'll were hanging out having a beer?

/conjecture off
  12. Rhodz Augur

As far as you know he did. For that matter we could be related. Too bad about the lack of self control though...
  13. Lynnia Augur

In the long ago times, zoning would drop invis, so IMO that is why a lot of (especially older) zonelines have zig-zag passages. For example, suppose you have a necromancer who wanted to, say, travel through Qeynos. Her invis would drop when she zoned from north to south or vice versa, so the oddly shaped passage would give her a safer spot to re-cast invis on herself after zoning.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

They have zig-zag passages so you can't see that a dead end is around the corner. Back when I was on a less powerful machine I'd run right through the zone line sometimes and get to see them.

The alternative is the absolutely hilarious stuff like the entrance to Inktu`ta: a flat texture made to look like it goes forward (as in a picture of the entrance of the zone), but still looks like a flat texture.

I honestly wonder if the entrance to Inktu`ta was meant as a little joke to be noticed considering how hilarious it looked even when it was new.
  15. Devildawg Elder

I don't think /follow uses pathing.... And the reason the program that shall not be named does such a decent job of it is it's a 3rd party application capable of communicating in real time on the PC side directly between clients in some cases. That's not something really feasible without doing a lot of client work specifically aimed at making the lives of boxers easier, which a very loud playerbase has been very angry at for quite some time.

Don't see it happening =(
  16. Rhodz Augur

Doesn't use it directly but it cant be coincidence that zones with the worst pathing issues are also the ones with most noticeable follow antics.
  17. Motherlee Augur

Some things need to be brought up here.
    1. Running background FPS at max does not fix the problem.
    2. Auto-runners who take advantage of unnecessarily huge zones like Ro and Katta (all of them) are also affected by sticky trees, bad pathing, stupid obstacles. I'm glad two of you can afford to sit at your computers and be attentive all the time.
    3. All the coding that they said could never happen but has, there is NO reason that /fol hasn't been fixed.
    4. (Boxing is irrelevant.)