Choosing a tank, and etc.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ulain, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Ulain Journeyman

Hello, right to the point: since I came back last week, I have managed to get a Rogue and Beastlord up to the 50s (Gold), as well as Druid and Shaman boxes on another account (Silver). I want to try more classes, and am much considering a tank class, specifically SK or Pally.

I've recently read on here Pallies got some good toys to play with in RoF? Does this apply to the lower end? I really don't feel like playing FoTM, but I've also read SKs really struggle without a vast amount of AAs and gear. They sound more fun and versatile from what I remember (FD, a pet that gets decently strong later, snares and fears) as opposed to a Paladin that as far as I know, has some heal spells and does good DPS against only Undead.

Is it worth it to try both, or is one strictly superior and more enjoyable than the other? And with boxing, will more content be attainable because of an extra class and merc? And yet *another* question, is there an alternative to Shaman box for an SK? I boxed it with the Rogue, and perhaps 57 isn't a good level, but I found it a bit lackluster: slow isn't needed yet (and seemingly mitigated in the newer zones), and putting Spirit of X on characters every minute is pretty annoying. Am I doing it wrong, does it get better, or is there a more fun box to play with, for the sake of it, an SK?

Last request: I have been playing on Vox, but almost feel it would be advantageous to try another server, specifically Luclin-Stromm. With boxes and mercs, nobody seems to really group before the 70s anyway (Blackfeather Roost was a nightmare with how many people run around, refusing to group despite room, yet getting mad when you try to get a few mobs, like they have the whole zone on camp, but I digress). Would it be healthier in the longterm to go on an "established" server like Luclin, or are there disadvantages there that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for reading my wall, appreciate any answers.
  2. moogs Augur

I like the SK's FD and lifetap abilities. I'm going to leave the details of Paladin vs. SK to others.

Luclin is my current server. Bristlebane is also a good server. They have some of the highest populations during peak (US) hours. The longterm advantages of a standard blue server are that - if you are the outgoing type and can make friends - there are well established guilds, some with 10+ years of tradition. The communities are very strong, and the populations (at high levels) are healthy. If I was going to start as a brand new EQ player, I might start on Vox just to learn how to play as part of a classic EQ group. If I was a returning player and didn't mind soloing to 75+, I would start on a standard blue server. They have the most mature playerbase (as in, more skilled).
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Shamans start to have available longer lasting buffs that combine several stats at once, once you get to post-65. Also, with the lower level buffs and Defiant gear, it is extremely likely that most of your buffs aren't making any difference; the gear also makes slow less useful.

If you have a merc with an SK, it doesn't really matter what class you choose to box with it; caster dps is easiest.

All tanks need gear and AAs. A paladin with no AAs is just as feeble as an SK with the same; in most lower content, a solo SK is much more powerful than a paladin, although they are close for pure tanking. Paladins win with undead content, of course, provided they have their Slay AAs.
  4. Elricvonclief Augur

Either knight is viable but remember they are very dependent on gear/augs/AAs to do their job.

It basically comes down to personal playstyle. Paladins are more "helpful" to the group with buffs/heals/cures, while SK's are much better at agro generation.

Play whichever you think is the most fun!:)
    Kelefane likes this.
  5. Kelefane Augur

I'll make this real simple for you-

If you plan on raiding at some point: Choose Paladin
    If you never plan on raiding and just plan on being a pure grouper: Choose SK

With that said, all three tank classes require a lot of work to be viable. Being meticulous and patient is required.